“Massive tourist restaurant with poor quality and service.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 40 Restaurants in Etretat
Cuisines: French, Italian
Rome, Italy
“Massive tourist restaurant with poor quality and service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

La Belle Epoque was nothing else but a regular to poor service restaurant that are all around Europe with expensive or pricey menus for poor quality food and service. Waiter was lost and was running all over the place as there was only one server for probably over 8 or 10 tables at the time for dinner. Meal was nothing to remember but I do remember the check was pricey so that is not a good sign. I have doubts about how clean the kitchen was... Just watch out.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Delcourt G, Directeur général at La Belle Epoque pastati & Patatate, responded to this review, April 27, 2014

Thank you for your visit.
Our staff and myself do our best to satisfy our customers, however, if this was not the case, we apologize.

Leuven, Belgium
“Avoid by all means ! An appaling experience, rude waiter and bad "moules frites"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

After arriving late in Etretat, my fiancée and I just entered the first restaurant which we saw. The negative experience started on the second minute and later I was sorry that we did not leave in the very beginning.

The restaurant was half empty and we decided to sit on a table for for, next to the windows. There were two other free tables for four guests and one for four was occupied by another couple. When we sat, the waiter came and his first words were that we could sit there and we had to move on a table for two. And this, provided that it was already 22h and the restaurant was half empty !!!

I did not want to argue and just followed him. We ordered "moules frites" and rose wine. The classic "moules frites" seemed OK, but the one with Provance sauce that I ordered seemed as if just a pasta sauce was dumped on top of the regular "moules frites". In addition to this, the portions were definitely not cleaned properly. Apart from the sand pieces in the "moules" (this was OK if they were wild ones, which I doubt) we were awfully surprised by small stones in the pots !!!!

We just decided to pay the bill (37 euro for 2 moules frites & 2 glasses of rose wine) and never ever to return !!!! Avoid this place by all means !!

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Paris, France
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

I couldn't taste the cider in my cider mussels. The bread was delicious and the cheese omelet good too. The waiter was nice. My husband thought the restaurant was dirty but the bathroom was clean. The place is okay.

Visited April 2014
Delcourt G, Directeur général at La Belle Epoque pastati & Patatate, responded to this review, April 6, 2014

Germany
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband ordered the "moules frites" and both the sauce and the mussels were awesome. We had to ask for a condiment to go with the frites, but eventually got some mustard. I ordered a galette (savory crepe) with cheese, mushrooms, and an egg, but it was totally unremarkable - very little filling and a pathetic little garnish with old lettuce and an old tomato slice. Our house wine was ridiculously over priced but tasted fine. My main complaint is that our neighbors in the restaurant received a nice little nut mix with their pre-dinner drinks and bread with their dinner as well. We received neither. Apparently, the waiters need to learn that, even though our French is not fluent, we can see when other customers are receiving better service. Also, we were seated at at table squeezed in beside another two top, when there were plenty of other empty tables all over the restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Scandaleux !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Foot and service were a disgrace. The ultimate tourist trap. A shame for the town. Pizzas are drowning in bad quality cheese, the ham is risky to eat. Why would you put a raw egg on a pizza?

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere