“Very interesting place to stay good homemade food and a lovely host” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Roc Sur L'Orbieu

You added Le Roc Sur L'Orbieu to your Saves list
Le Roc Sur L'Orbieu
1.3.4 et 8 rue du Porche, 11220 Saint-Pierre-des-Champs, Lagrasse, France   |
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
“Very interesting place to stay good homemade food and a lovely host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

Arrived 6.30pm after visiting Carcassonne. A little hard to find best get out of the car once on the only street in the village and you will soon see the sign. Nothing too much trouble for the very hard working Madame. She was obviously busy in the kitchen when we arrived but wanted to show us our rooms and tell us about her maison which is very unusual with lots of different rooms filled with all sorts of antiques. The evening meal was great. Everything from the goat. meat, a homemade pie, cheese, also veg from her garden and homemade bread. We all sat around a big table with about 10 other guests all french but we managed and had a wonderful evening. Breakfast again was fanastic homemade croisants jam and yoghourt what a very busy lady. We would definately go again. fantastic.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Howell, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

First, I would like to say that there is only one street in this town. And yes, it is a bit difficult to find the correct building in the dark, but we did it. Using navigation, nonetheless.

We stayed at Le Roc Sur L'Orbieu for over a week and were treated like family. Helene was absolutely wonderful and runs the location on her own. She has beautifully renovated the place, provides home-made jams & yogurt for breakfast every morning, amazing cuisine for dinner when planned, assistance when planning day trips to the surrounding area, and finally leaving was an emotional experience! My father even considered purchasing the place next door!

Please note, that Helene speaks French and German much more fluently than English, so if you are proficient in either of these languages, communication will be easier. My brother speaks German, so this helped.

If you want to truly experience the region, I fully recommend Le Roc. It is centrally located for day trips to Carcassonne, Narbonne, Perpignan, etc, as well as close to the gorgeous castles of Montsegur and Queribus.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Taipei
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

16th of Sep, Me and my colleague arrived Saint Pierre at 9:45 PM (We had phoned hotel reception earlier that we will arrive late, Reception asked us to arrive before 10PM and infact their website said " You are invited to arrive any time after 4: 00PM ")

My TOMTOM could not find the exactly Hotel address, I phoned the hotel Receptino and try to get some assistance, I tried to explain her where we were now and the lady just said "don't tell me the road , I don't know the road, just follow the main road..... " Well, I really hope I can find the main road in the dard .. While we were trying hard to find the main road and try to make another phone call to the reception...the hotel line was cut off.... no connection we were able to make with this hotel. it was 10PM in the night, we were abandoned in a dark , strange town without any help. It was the worse experience we have ever had , I still can not believe what kind of hotel would treat their customer this way, we were just tired and exhausted guests who got lost and and try to get to the hotel to have a good rest. It was awful service and experience and this hotel still charge me for this .... No apology from this hotel, when I tried to make complaint to them, the hotel just hang up my phone.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
finnjunior, propriétaire at Le Roc Sur L'Orbieu, responded to this review, November 12, 2009
To come to my house (B§B), it is better to program your GPS: Place du château, 11220 St Pierre des Champs. All the village is lightened. At the end of the village, it is 2 signs "le roc sur l'orbieu" to go on left streets. On the place, it is the sign of my house, lightened, with a bell.
I tried to explain all this to these persons, but they didn't want to hear, and than it was no more possible to have them on the telephone.
it is more comfortable to arrive before 8 PM.
barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

wonderful place, wonderful country, wonderful ambience, excellent for a tranquil and relaxing vacation

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Taipei
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

We are 2 girls who can't find the way by tomtom. The landlord force us to arrive by 10pm. I tried my best to drive through country roads - it was really dark.

Finally we arrived this town, but no one there to ask for help. We called the landlord again, she said she don't know the road name (how come?! the town is so small!) She just tell us to drive to the left and through the village -- okay, the road is really small and I bumped into a stone and scratch my car!

After 2 help calls but still can't find the way, the landlord switched off her mobile!!! that's it! she left 2 foreigners in dark night in strange town!!

I can't believe it! and we were so helpless!! then we have to leave this cold town and lucky find another hotel in next town, god bless us!

AND I REALLY CURSE THIS DAMN GUEST HOUSE AND THIS DAMN LANDLORD. SHE IS SO MEAN, AND I WILL DO ALL MY MEAN TO CURSE HER!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Owermoigne Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

A beautiful and unique place to stay with superb food and hospitality. Helane has lovingly restored this chateau over the last 20 years and has finished it with a unique blend of original furniture. 6 of us stayed for two nights and all had our breath taken away with the beauty of the decor. the food was all freshly cooked using local produce by helane and eaten on huge tables with the other guests, a great evening exchanging stories between the nations

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Helene the owner has lovingly restored her houses inside a medieval citadel over the last 20 years. She has scoured brocante stalls and shops to create a wonderful ambience using old artefcats such as old hip baths with cushions to create outside seating and hanging huge mirrors and even farming implements on the bare stone walls. Rooms are comfortable and ensuite, some very spacious with great views from the fortress. It's a 38km drive from the bustle of Carcassone and five minutes from the picturesque village of Lagrasse. There are restaurants there but there is no reason to stray from Helene's table. She cooks a four course meal using local produce which she sources direct from suppliers is mainly organic. She even makes her own fruit and herb flavoured liquers and there are pots of her home made jam for sale. You eat together with other guests and enjoyed traditional farmhouse cuisine with Helen's creative touches. Examples are guinea fowl cooked with lemon and orange, home-made pastries and bread. Our aperitif was a 10-year-old local wine. All included in the set dinner price of 27 euros.
There's a small pool too.
Fabulous.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Been to Le Roc Sur L'Orbieu? Share your experiences!