We stayed here for 5 nights in April 2014. This was the cheapest resort available on this side of the island - so we went for it - and I'm glad we did.
It isn't a 5* resort (or 4* or 3*) maybe just a 2*, but the rooms are clean, beds are clean and comfortable with mosquito nets (much needed and appreciated) so for value for your money, in comparison to the other resorts along the same stretch of beach - it's fine. There is always hot water available for showers.
The breakfast is not great, just eggs and bread is part of the B&B deal - anything else (beans, sausages, bacon etc) is extra. However, we could see that construction was underway on the premises for a new restaurant and bar area and the manager told us this would be fully functioning by July 2014. So high hopes for then.
If you choose to stay here I recommend going next door to Kedwa Rocks for food and drinks and partying (but there is no need to stay there as their rooms are the exact same standard and almost exact same furniture as Sunset but Kedwa is more expensive to stay in) as we spent majority of our time on their free sunbeds, getting great food (fresh seafood pizza's were amazing as well as the daily chef's specials) as well as their fresh fruit juices (try passion fruit juice and pineapple - amazing!). It's only a few meters away from sunset - literally the neighbouring hotel.
If you fancy splashing out, 2 hotels down from Sunset (past Kedwa and the next hotel along) called Gold is ridiculously expensive, but they have a nice pool. They charge $20 per person to use their pool - if you like that.
The stretch of beach is just beautiful! Even though we saw 2 small jelly fish, we enjoyed lots of time in the calm crystal clear sea with gorgeous white sand.
This isn't a great hotel, but again - you can't really complain for the prices they charge.
****Management - please keep the grounds maintained!******
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Sunset Kendwa, your place to stay in the tropical paradise of Zanzibar's north coast. Fringed by powdery-white sand beaches, azure waters, and thriving coral reefs, the exotic spice island of Zanzibar is the most idyllic of tropical destinations. We offer a wide range of brightly decorated traditional rooms and bungalows, as well as all the facilities you will need to help you ease into Zanzibar's relaxed pace of life. Right on the perfect sands of Kendwa beach on Zanzibar's north coast, this is the perfect place to unwind, spend your days swimming or sun-bathing, snorkelling, scuba diving with our award winning on site water sports centre Scuba Do Zanzibar ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Sunset Bungalows reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Bungalows Hotel Zanzibar
- Sunset Hotel Zanzibar
- Sunset Beach Hotel Zanzibar