Arriving at this little island in a small wooden boat over the turquoise water was simply fantastic. On reaching the island we were taken a back by the beauty and pristine environment that with the money that we had spent, we were partaking in upkeeping and preserving. The huts were amazing. They call it simple luxury, and that is what it is. The compost toilet was somewhat a novelty and we were always on the look out for a green snake (not dangerous!!) which were warned might pay is a visit (but never did!). No doors or windows made us feel close to nature and was wonderful falling asleep to the sounds of the island. Views were supherb - even from bed and the swinging hammock on the terrace below. The snorkling here is the best ive seen and in contrast to other areas around Zanzibar had a bucket load of fish, weird and wonderful things. If i was a fish or any native species id definintely choose Chumbe!
Food was prepared as a 5 star restaurant. John the head chef worked hard to produce some really tasty dishes. Completely fresh and every meal different. We also did the reef walk, the place is so unspoilt that you wish that all beaches were kept this well. The wildlife obviously felt the way we did about the island, there are so many crabs that the entire sand beach looks to be moving if you look down! Incredible. I saw 2 reef sharks in the shallow water at the beach whild my boyfriend went out snorkelling, he saw some amazing fish, but he was gutted to have missed being close up and personal with a reef shark nibbling his toes!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award-winning exclusive private island, fully managed nature reserve and marine park. Guided tours included through spectacular coral reef, forest and mangrove nature trails, historic lighthouse and visitors' centre. State-of-the-art zero-footprint eco-architecture (photovoltaic energy, rainwater harvesting, solar water heating, composting toilets). Free environmental education programs for local schools. Winner of British Airways Tourism for Tomorrow award 1999, UNEP Global500 award 2000, National Geographic Geotourism Challenge award 2008, finalist Aga Khan award for architecture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Chumbe Island Coral Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chumbe Island Coral Park Hotel Zanzibar
- Chumbe Island Coral Park Zanzibar