What a fabulous place to stay - we spent two nights and wish we had had more time to just soak it all in. Stayig in our banda (hut on stilts) open to the winds was so relaxing, the snorkeling was wonderful, the food was exceptional, the staff were of the highest quality and could not have been more helpful and friendly. And there is no problem of electricity cuts and no hot water like on the mainland as the island is self-sufficient on solar panels. I really cannot find more words to say just how much we enjoyed our stay. Don't be put off by the price - it is worth it when you remember that this is an eco-friendly island, any monies go towards keeping it that way and for educating visitors and locals alike on how not to spoil our environment. Don't look for nightlife, swimming pools, TVs and a wild time - this is the place you go to when you want to get away from it all and enjoy the beauty of nature. What is better than a glass of wine watching a beautiful sunset and marvelling that there are still places on our earth where we can forget our everyday problems and be at peace.
- Also Known As:
- Chumbe Island Coral Park Hotel Zanzibar
- Chumbe Island Coral Park Zanzibar
- Chumbe Island Coral Park Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award-winning exclusive private island, fully managed nature reserve and marine park. Guided tours included through spectacular coral reef, forest and mangrove nature trails, historic lighthouse and visitors' centre. State-of-the-art zero-footprint eco-architecture (photovoltaic energy, rainwater harvesting, solar water heating, composting toilets). Free environmental education programs for local schools. Winner of British Airways Tourism for Tomorrow award 1999, UNEP Global500 award 2000, National Geographic Geotourism Challenge award 2008, finalist Aga Khan award for architecture. ... more less