“Unique honeymoon site with great service & food!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$158 (USD)
Ranked #47 of 141 hotels in Zanzibar
San Francisco, California
“Unique honeymoon site with great service & food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at Sea Cliff 5 nights after three back-to-back safaris. This was the relaxing end to an action-packed honeymoon. We had planned and looked forward to this trip for nearly 2 yrs. The honeymoon package is filled with wonderful and generous treats - a welcome bottle of champagne, fruit platter, and floral display on your door; couples massage, and private romantic dinner of your choice.

Arriving exhausted, we were welcomed with cold drinks into the beautiful lobby with its modern Arabic-inspired architecture and antique artistic accents. The ambience is unique, beautiful, and peaceful with gentle waves crashing below. The gym and sports facilities are excellent (even for decent strength training or lap swimming). Food is abundant, beautifully presented, with estensive culinary options to suit any taste.

We didn't receive the honeymoon package. Other honeymooners were next door and we began to wonder why we didnt get equal treatment. After discussing with management, we learned that our travel agent failed to notify SeaCliff that we'd booked a honeymoon package.
The General Manager, Abre Esterhuizen, upon learning how much we had been looking forward to this, personally arranged the package details immediately and delivered fresh flowers and a welcome note to our room. This personal human touch was greatly appreciated! He also gracisously offered us a complimentary tour to make amends.

In the end, the honeymoon pacakge was wonderful! The catering director, Mark, organized a personalized and romantic dinner overlooking the sea. Delicious and Generous portions!

The spa is excellent--reasonably priced services, nice sauna and steamroom, tranquil ambience, friendly staff who gave us great massages.

Summary--Sea Cliff offers tranquil ambience, delicious food in abundance, plenty of amenities, and staff are friendly. Management is approachable and responsive to customer concerns.

Wonderful and memorable experience!

Room Tip: Sea view is worth the extra cost
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SeaCliffManagement, General Manager at Sea Cliff Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
It was wonderful to meet you during your recent stay with us and I am grateful for you to have taken the time to post your review.

Our goal is to always create a unique and wonderful experience for all our guests. The beautiful surroundings and the resort facilities make us a popular honeymoon destination and we are well known for our “little extras” offered to newly weds. Unfortunately, we were not informed by your tour operator that you were in fact honeymooners and unfortunately this resulted in a disappointing start to your stay with us.

Although things got off to a bit of a bumpy start, I am pleased to see that we were able to turn things around and make this the dream you hoped it would be. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary “spice tour” which is always very popular and entertaining.

Due to our location on the island, we are lucky enough to have one of the most beautiful views. The theatrical sunsets and the dramatic change in the tides make it the perfect back grounding setting for a romantic dinner which I am elated to hear was memorable.

Shwari Spa is very popular with all our guests for its tranquility and dreamy feel. Our therapists are well known for making each treatment a unique experience for all our guests.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I will definitely share your review with the rest of the TEAM. It is always good to hear when our GUESTS find our resort to be of such a high standard as we pride ourselves on delivering the best.

Should your travels ever find you back on the island of Zanzibar, I do hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you once again.

375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We came to Sea Cliff after having two amazing adventure hotels on Mafia Island. This was a bit of luxury after "roughing it". It certainly was luxury in terms of facilities and warm showers and comfortable bedrooms, etc. The sport facilities here are amazing - squash, tennis, pool, ping ping, bike hire, horse riding - and also two lovely swimming pools where the kids played the days away. However, unfortunately the service really let this place down. Apart from Victoria the receptionist, Amani our waiter and the Leisure Manager who did all he could to find a bike my son could fit on to go for a bike ride. Otherwise, the service was lukewarm at best. I would not recommend this place and I won't be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SeaCliffManagement, General Manager at Sea Cliff Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I was happy to see that you enjoyed the grounds and facilities we have on offer.

I was disappointed to read that you were less than satisfied with the service provided by our team. I can assure you that we have gone through your comments in detail and as a TEAM we will be discussing your points to see where improvements can be made as this certainly does not reflect the high level of service we are always proud to offer and more than often, complimented on.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here while visiting Zanzibar, first for 2 nights and the second time for 4 nights.

Rooms
Decent size and very clean. The fridge was filled with 4 water bottles every day which was great. Also, they airconditioning worked very well. Our view was incredible. There was a generous size safe that fit both of our laptops, this is much appreciated as many hotels do not offer safes this large.

Although there was always an abundance of buffet food available at meal times (breakfast and dinner) most of it was just average. They did on quite a few nights serve steak, lobster and other "upscale" dishes but none of the food was ever great. The desserts were usually better than the main dishes.

All of the people that we encountered at Sea Cliff were very nice and as helpful as they knew how to be. Unfortunately, I feel that the staff at the bar were not trained very well every time we sat down there for lunch we had to walk up to the bar and ask for menus and also walk up to place our orders. Also, on multiple occasions they would just bring our bill instead of asking if we would like anything else. The staff were very nice but they do need some more training on serving people in the bar area.

Grounds
The grounds are a fair size and quite beautiful. They are very well maintained and clean. The main pool is quite a nice feature and is incredibly long with an amazing view out to the ocean. The beach area is fairly small but it too was nice and there were plenty of water activities available free through the hotel. We did the horseback riding one day with Rosa which was great.

We did not try the spa but they had a nice set-up for a couples massage looking over the ocean which looked lovely. If we had more time we definitely would have tried this out.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay with Sea Cliff and would recommend it to people looking for a nice mid-range (Zanzibar standards) hotel. Everything was clean, well maintained and the staff very pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at Sea Cliff Resort & Spa.

We believe that it is important to hear what our guests think and we value and appreciate positive as well as constructive feedback. It is encouraging to read that you think our resort is good value for money.

We are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with many aspects of your stay with us and that you enjoyed our pool and beach area as well as a few of the water sports.

I was disappointed to hear that you felt that "none of the food was ever great". We do try to cater to the majority and as a result, we do receive a lot of positive feedback from our guests about the quality and the selection of our food. I do understand though that, unfortunately, we cannot meet everyone's personal taste.

I apologise for the inconsistency you experienced at our bar, "Zanzi-Bar". I have noted your comments and will review them with our food and beverage manager to ensure that we are able to improve and enhance the experience of ALL our guests.

Once again, I thank you for your time and detailed review.

Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I spent a week during April/May 2013. I enjoyed the stay. the staff were friendly and always ready to assist with whatever we needed. The food was in abdundance and was excellent. Catered for my husband who is diabetic. The receptionist Mohamed went out of his way to assist us.
Breathtaking view. Night entertainment was awesome. Will recommend if one is deciding to visit Zanzibar.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us.

Our TEAM members and GUESTS are our greatest two assets for which we care about extensively and it is both wonderful and encouraging to see that we are doing it RIGHT. I will be sure to share your positive compliments with the rest of the TEAM.

Once again, a big thank you for your time and to both YOU and your husband for allowing us to be a huge part of your trip.

Best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I spent seven nights at this hotel and we can honestly say that there was nothing to criticise. The room was lovely, well appointed and cleaned very well every day. The evening "flit gun" service was great so we never had a creature in our room to bite us!
Food was fantastic, it was like eating at a 4 star restaurant everyday. The service very good and the facilities excellent. We hired bikes, the water boats and towels provided at poolside. The only thing I didn't experience was the spa - however, I popped in there to have a look and it was beautiful.
All in all a fabulous holiday and I can recommend without any hesitation.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the gardens and was very happy with it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us.

Guest feedback is an important measuring tool to know when we are getting it right and it is always encouraging to see that we did just that. We are very fortunate to have the facilities and activities that we do and the view isn't too bad either.

I will certainly share your re view with the rest of our TEAM.

Again, thank you for your time and we are so pleased to hear that such a wonderful time was enjoyed.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed for 12 nights in July and the hotel was very good .the staff is very friendly especially grace Elizabeth sharif mapambano and yahya . The breakfast buffet is fine but nothing special .
There is no a la carte restaurant as it is a Buffet every night with a different theme .
Most of the food is always overcooked so if you don't like your fish dry and your meat well done it is best to ask for it to be cooked in front of you . I did tell the head chef the meat was really tough but he said to me that it was the best you can get in the country . I think if the meat is tough it is best not to serve it . If you want a safe option you can go for the chicken or squid or fish which is good when it is not overcooked !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for the time taken to comment about your stay with us at Sea Cliff Resort & Spa.

Our TEAM goal is to ensure our guests are happy and comfortable and the service is great. We are grateful for you for your kind compliments regarding the team, particularly highlighting a few members - I will be sure to share your post with them. I am certain they will be delighted.

I was disappointed about your comment that our food is not up to standard as we receive a lot of positive feedback from our clients regarding the selection and the quality of our food. I do, however, understand that there are many different cultures, diets and personal tastes and we will not always be able to please everyone. We do try our best to cater for the majority of our guests taste.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us.

Kind regards,

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at the Sea Cliff at he end of May after a trip in mainland Tanzania to a very remote and poor area. The time at the Sea Cliff was intended as a luxurious end to this long trip and it did not disappoint.

I arrived mid morning aphaving caught the catamaran over from the mainland. On arrival at the hotel I was treated by a very efficient welcome team with refreshing towels and a drink. They took me to the lounge area to enjoy my cocktail while completing the necessary paperwork.

Given I had turned up at an unconventional time for check in, my room took a while to be prepared but only an hour or so, and sipping a cocktail looking out over the beautiful ocean was no hardship.

The room was great with an ocean view, great shower and comfortable bed. Sitting on the veranda looking out over the gardens to the sea was beautiful.

Plenty of food at breakfast and dinner and lots of variety.

The Sea Cliff has loads to do if you want it but also if you just want to lie back and relax you can without being disturbed. I have to admit I just moved between the lounger and the pool with the odd trip to the gym. The only time you really realised that there were a lot of people staying was at dinner time. Elsewhere around the hotel it didn't feel crowded and there was plenty of space to chill.

A wonderful escape. I thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

We are so pleased to hear that your stay with us was a memorable one our guests and their experience they have with us is very important and it is always wonderful to see that we have delivered on our goal again. I will be sure to share your compliments and kind words with the rest of the TEAM.

Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you again.

KARIBU TENA

GENERAL MANAGER

Been to Sea Cliff Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!