Zanzibar is the island in the Indian Ocean which is located 35 kilometers from African shore and belongs to Tanzania.
My husband and I stayed in the hotel “Dongwe Ocean View” in Zanzibar 19-30 January 2013.
Notice: this accommodation isn’t for admirers of active water sport, noisy parties and night discos. Also there is no animation team and children's entertainment.
• Solitude, harmony and grace. The hotel is a tropical beach paradise near the village called Dongwe. There are not sharp sounds all days, loud music in the evenings and kites does not fly. The life steadily flows under the whisper of the ocean and monsoon winds which are blowing on the one hand during six months, on the other - during another half year.
• A small hotel with a cozy territory. There are two three-floor buildings with nine rooms in each, a restaurant - bar, reception, living cozy covered area with TV, library and swimming pool area surrounded with coconut palms, trees, grass, flowers, white coral sand, cool blue pool and inviting ultramarine of the warm sea. There was no TV in room but we did not need it really.
• Friendly, sociable staff. The schedule of work for the employees of the hotel is «5 by 5», some even «5 by 2». We spent a lot of time telling each other about our lives.
And also the employees of the hotel were earnestly trying to solve any problems and fulfill all the wishes of their guests. Manager Samson always greeted all the guests shaking hands and tried to find out how we were and helped if necessary or recommended something.
His assistants Juma and Anneta had always been ready to accommodate all the guests in a more comfortable way, to organize trips and excursions. We traveled around the island and returned to the “nestle” of paradise Dongwe.
Staff of the restaurant created a wonderfully warm, homely atmosphere. Their
smiles and jokes were so contagious that the guests also began to communicate among themselves, forgetting about language barriers.
Cleanliness in the rooms and on the territory was supported entirely unnoticed
for vacationers. Every day the bed was adorned with fresh flowers.
• Home meal. There were European breakfast with Russian pancakes («chapatti» in Swahili), lunch and dinner to the Mediterranean traditions, light snack (tea, coffee with the «biscuits») was free for guests at “tea time” 4.30-5.30 p.m.
• Outdoor meal. If guests were tired from restaurant of hotel the managers advised and organized a trip to somewhere else. All tourists visited restaurant «Rock» which was located in a very interesting sea area. This restaurant and hotel “Dongwe Ocean View” were shares of the same business.
You can also dine at the restaurant «Door», which was located in a 10 – minutes - walk along the beach after the hotel «Club Vacanca».
Still we went to the restaurant «Padje by night». This is a place of youth subculture.
• Amazingly beautiful and comfortable beach. It is obvious, that the Lord created the Zanzibar in a good mood. Zanzibar was surrounded with a powerful coral reef whose width was one and a half kilometers. The hotel stood in front of boundless ocean, but the huge waves did not reach the shore, they were broken by a natural barrier of the coral reef.
Tide and low tide replaced each other two times during a day changing coastal zone beyond recognition. From about 8 a.m. until the afternoon the water went away – it was the most magical time to study seabed (aqua shoes were obligatory!) and bath in the cleanest transparent lagoons with snow-white sand gated corals.
In shallow water, remained oddly colored sea urchins, bright red five-pointed sea stars, living corals of different colors and forms, crabs, colorful fish. Flocks of small flight fishes jumped out from sea water. In the water and on shore we gathered collection of shells. During a low tide especially persevering tourists reached the edge of the coral reef!
It was such a grace to sit on the snow-white sand during low tide and bathe from time to time in the emerald water of sea lagoons.
After 1 p.m. the ocean rapidly took away their possession from tourists and restricted the beach.
Not far from the hotel (in front of the hotel «Sultan Palace») there was a good place for snorkeling.
• The unique location of Dongwe Ocean view. There was the passage through the great barrier of coral reef right In front of the hotel. This passage was visible even on the photo taken by us through the window of the plane on the way from Dubai to Cape Town. This place is very important for the local fishermen. Their brigade sailed at 8-9 a.m. by high-water into the ocean to return at 5 p.m. Local residents and curious tourists rushed to the catch, which fishermen laid out in knots right there on the sand for sale. Tourists took pictures of bizarre sea creatures and the process of trade. A catch was fully sold during 15 minutes!
A huge fish «Blue Marlin» which our restaurant staff purchased on the shore was eaten during several days!
• Unearthly beauty and harmony of Masai’s men. These men were a centerpiece of the hotel and the beach. The hotel was protected by representatives of this African tribe. These were high and slim guys in national costumes. Their homeland is destination near Kilimanjaro.
• Jogging, hiking and biking. Dense coral sand and infinitely long beach gave the possibility to walk and ride a bike comfortably. Bicycles were possible in the hotel to rent.
• Moreover accommodation in the hotel “Dongwe Ocean view” was much cheaper, than in the neighboring club hotels.
Have a pleasant rest in the hotel “Dongwe Ocean view” in Zanzibar!
Choose a room for honeymoon
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
April 16, 2013
Hello irina, you did us a great review thank you so much. I see that you really discovered every thing around the area you didn't leave nothing out. I hope you will come back it was a great pleasure to have as our guest . hope to see you soon , from all the staff Asante Sana
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.