“Beauty and peace” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santos, SP
“Beauty and peace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We went to Salt Island to spend only 2 nights and we had no idea of where to stay so a friend recommended the Odjo D'agua Hotel. So my family and I were pleasantly surprised when we got there and saw the Hotel. It isn't exactly cheap but it isn't a waste of money at all, once it is located on the beach and it has a restaurant very famous for being inside the water that has an amazing view to Santa Maria Beach. It is also very calm and quiet, very diferent from the other Resorts located in Salt Island. Since we had no reservations we had to change the rooms because they were all booked, but both of them were big and very airy and all the employees were extremely kind and nice to us. The Hotel is an excellent choice for families or couples who want a calm an peaceful place to stay and relax, we ha absolutelly no regrets.

Room Tip: The Jr. Suite is better for families because it has separated rooms and beds for the kids.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Caldas da Rainha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

First, let me say that our bedroom was excellent - plenty of space, comfortable beds, perfectly adequate bathroom (though offering nothing more than tepid water throughout our 7 days stay this month) and a balcony with a seaview when standing up!

Breakfasts were also perfectly OK (though as another reviewer pointed out, a second coffee dispenser would be good). Again I agree with those who say the location of the restaurant, jutting out over the sea, was superb.

The hotel uses the phrase Hotel de Charme about itself; overall I could have done with a little more charm from the staff and a little more modern thinking in terms of some of the hotel systems. Paying 35 Euros per computer per week for wi-fi access, for instance (if you 'needed' to use two laptops at the same time) just seems anachronistic in this day and age. (Totally free at several local bars/restaurants). And paying every time you want a beach sun lounger and/or parasol again seems quaint rather than charming....and do I really need to sign for beach towels when I take them out and sign again when I return them

If they 'gave these items away' and upped the weekly price for everbody by an 'invisible' 25 Euros they would probably be no worse off and I (and many others) would be far happier.

I fully understand that i was in a foreign country with its own culture but Cape Verde relies on tourists - and I simply don't think that a good proportion of the staff have been trained to act accordingly.

I am very free with my 'bom dias', 'boa tardes, and 'olas' - but far too many of the staff just didn't respond to these common courtesies. There is also little feeling that 'the customer is right'; whenever any complaints/comments were made the reaction was generally along the lines of 'it wasn't my fault' or 'maybe it will improve tomorrow'. A particular niggle was when I organised as a surprise a celebration bottle of sparkling wine to be on our table when we arrived for dinner....well, I thought I had organised it by talking to a restaurant receptionist, who took details but said I should confirm everything with main reception, which I did - and even wrote 'bottle of Cabriz' alongside our name and table number on the bookings sheet. No wine on the table, no apology.

Perhaps I am being picky, but these various little grievances - which I can see are shared by some other, but by no means all other reviewers - mean we would not go back to the Hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are better, courtyard rooms do have a lot of passing traffic (pedestrian variety).
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Good seafood in an open-air restaurant, right on the beach curving round a secluded cove. Not cheap but the location certainly makes it worth a visit. If you are game to try something different then the sea fingers are a must. Don't forget a camera.

Berkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the predominately positive reviews on Trip Advisor and acknowledged some of the negative ones too. I was mindful of lowering my expectations and I tried not to expect European standards but it's hard not to do so when you're used to certain standards. Most of my observations, experiences and comments will probably mirror a lot of others' that have been written on here.

The hotel is located in an idyllic location on the beach at Santa Maria. We were taken to a room in the courtyard and my first impression was one of disappointment. The room was dark and the lighting too dim. It felt a bit claustrophobic. We asked if we could be moved to another room but there were none available. The shower water was luke warm and remained so during the week long stay. The hairdryer in the bathroom was one of those antiquated ones that look a bit like a vacuum cleaner hose. It would have been nice to have tea/coffee making facilities in the room if you like tea or coffee when you wake up. As someone else suggested, perhaps bring a travel kettle with you. Bring a travel hairdryer, mosquito repellent plug ins for the room and a Portuguese dictionary to make yourself understood.

We stayed on a half board basis. The restaurant was very well situated over the sea. Listening to the crashing waves was lovely. The dinner menu never changed and became monotonous. For most days running we had the vegetable soup, which wasn't served very hot, and for three days running the garlic grilled fish. I wouldn't rate the food particularly brilliant - just average. The breakfast buffet consisted of fresh fruit (melon, papaya, bananas, apples) yogurt, cereals, bread. The cheese and ham were too close together and the utensils became intermingled, so you didn't know if the cheese utensil had been used on the ham. If you're a non meat eater this could present a problem, not to mention cross contamination. Scrambled eggs and omelettes aren't cooked to order, they're kept warm in a stainless steel container, as is a local corn dish. There's one coffee machine that makes cappuccinos etc and produces hot water for tea. It can get a bit congested around this machine.

Sun loungers and umbrellas on the beach cost 2 euros each and a yellow beach towel requires a 20 euro deposit. From time to time there are wafts of sewage whilst sat on the beach. I'm not sure if sewage is pumped into the sea or a septic tank is used. There are too many rocks in the sea at this area, but if you walk further up the beach towards the pier, there is a rock free part where you can swim. For some reason there are no sun loungers on the best swimming part of the beach, but a lot of people sit there on their towels.

The wifi charges are: 5 euros for one hour which is valid for a week and 3 euros for half an hour which is valid for 24 hours I think. I got caught out with the one hour charge. I thought I'd make it last over a few days but you're meant to log out of the voucher code you're given. I wasn't given the logout code by reception so when I tried to log in again, the voucher had expired even though I'd only used about 15 mins of my time. The reception staff wouldn't take responsibility and blamed it on the company that issue the vouchers. Customer service and customer relations are not really a strong point on the island.

In the early hours of the fourth day of the holiday, my sister was struck with chronic vomiting and lack of consciousness. I called the reception desk for help and asked them to send a doctor. The guy on reception didn't seem too bothered and said there was no doctor available and that we would have to take a taxi to the hospital in the capital Espargos. I said she was unable to move as she had collapsed on the bathroom floor. He said that was the only option. I then went to reception and asked the guy to come to the room and help me carry my sister to a taxi. He came and then went to fetch another colleague and they carried her to the taxi. It was about a 20 minute drive. My sister passed out when she arrived and was put on an intravenous drip. We spent all morning there. We took a taxi back to the hotel. I was struck with vomiting and diarrhoea the next day. It wasn't possible to get room service so we had to drag ourselves to the restaurant in order to take some food back to the room. We only ate toast and bread rolls for the rest of our stay.

We've come back slightly more stressed than we were going and wished we'd have gone back to the Grand Residencia in Gran Canaria instead - now there's a hotel a lot of other hotels could definitely learn from.

Room Tip: Don't choose a courtyard room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Devon England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We do not really enjoy all-inclusive holidays so we stayed at the Odjo in December on a bed and breakfast basis.

We had a courtyard room behind a giant palm tree (rm 4108) so no sea view which was disappointing. Also a fairly strong smell of sewerage most afternoons from the balcony.

Restaurant Ok but not very imaginative, basically just fish steaks or meat steaks grilled with garlic. limited sauces. Does not really change from day to day. could do with a daily special dish. Entertainment ok for the first couple of days but as it is basically the same every night it can get very monotonous by the end of the holiday.

Prices for food and drink was high E3.9 for 500ml beer) compared to the restaurants in the area. recommend Angela's just down the beach for drinks at half the price of this hotel (E200 for 500ml beer).

Staff were extremely friendly, probably the best i have ever experienced. They do not expect tips but will accept them if offered.

We thought having to pay for sunbeds on the beach was a bit unfair so mostly stayed around the pool for free, this also meant avoiding the problems with loose dogs and horseflies on the beach . We saw one dog steal somebodies spare shorts for a game and then later urinate on the ladies sunbed with her still on it.

Overall a great holiday, in a good hotel, for sunlovers but do nt expect any excitement or entertainment as there really is nothing much to do on this island. Perfect for relaxing in the sun though.

Wakefield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have just returned from 2 weeks staying in this hotel 19th Dec to 2nd Jan 2013. We enjoyed the setting which is much nicer then the all inclusives on the island. We found all the staff very poilte and friendly. As previous guests have stated if you stay in the courtyard rooms you do not get any sun all day (room 409) yes it is quiet to a degree but we found in our room the staff shower in an adjoining room at 6 am and 11.30 pm to 12 midnight which can be a little annoying. So if you are after a quite room I do not think this is for you.

As for the resturant it has a lovely setting but the food is overpriced and is never very hot. The Christmas Eve and New Years Eve Meals were very nice but way overpriced. So if you are bed and breakfast it is worth going out and not eating in the resturant.

You can safely walk abount daytime or evening so it it worth trying the various resturants. They are all very similar in price, worth having a visit to is Tam Tams where you will get a great welcome and some good food.

You do have to pay for the sun beds and parasols on the beach which will cost you 6 euros per day for a couple.

The room safe is charge at 2 euros per day.

All in all a great little place which is ideal if you just want to chill out and do nothing but recharge your batteries.

Room Tip: Rooms in the court yard 409 do not get any sun
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just returned from a week in this hotel. Fabulous location with beautiful views and wonderful sunsets. Very windy - we were told it was much windier than normal, even allowing for the increased winds at this time of the year. This meant that meals outside were very cool so we ended up eating inside when at the hotel which we prefer not to do when abroad. We went B&B which we would recommend as the menu is fairly limited and it's always nice to have a change. Breakfast was good, however we too did not discover until the last day that you could order eggs and coffee. We were also in a lower courtyard room which, whilst quiet, got no sun. Shower water was barely warm and on asking for this to be checked we were advised this was normal. We requested a move of room however this was not possible as the hotel was full. Difficult to say which rooms would be the best as it depends on your preference - some of the rooms in the one hundreds opened literally onto the side of the pool where people were sitting. The main ones with the sea view were adjacent to the path to the restaurant so lacked privacy on the balcony. A nice touch with most rooms having a hammock on the balcony/terrace.
Service was extremely slow everywhere on the island. We ate at many local restaurants however not overly impressed with either the range or standard of the food.
The gala New Year's Eve dinner at the hotel, in our opinion, was over priced, food was mediocre, however staff put a lot of effort into preparing the event. Fireworks and countdown at 11.30 which was apparently the case last year too so this was a bit if a damper in he sense of an 'occasion', particularly for us Scots!
The free sun loungers at the pool are ok if you like shade as, due to the trees, it's difficult to find one in full sun. The 'private beach' isn't really exclusive to the hotel as anyone one wants to pay 6 euros for two loungers and a parasol appears to qualify for entry. This meant that people from he adjacent apartments often occupied beds which hotel guests were looking for.
We found the restaurant and some of the reception staff helpful but maids and beach bar staff offhand. Our room was often not cleaned until very late afternoon when we had returned to sit on the balcony so it felt like we were managing our time around this service.
Not a lot to see or do on the island, we did an island tour with an independent agent which was worth the 20 euros each. The best bit was swimming in the salt lake.
In all, an ok experience if somewhat overpriced.

Room Tip: Upper courtyard. Two rooms directly above reception.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Odjo d'Agua Hotel? Share your experiences!