“Best location in Sal” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Maria, Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Santa Maria
“Best location in Sal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I like to stay in small family run places with good food and a scenic view. On paper and in reality the odjo lived up to this. The food was simple but delicious. Service was slow but we had nothing else that we wanted to do - we could savour the view and live music for longer. The rooms were clean and well laid out. During our stay we took the opportunity to cost the Morzeba which appeared to be quite barren, no where near as charming as the odjo and not in as good a location for the beach. The Riu was also affectionately called the prison by locals and inmates and we regularly saw many wristband wearing escapees. I like to visit different places so I'm not sure whether we will be back to Sal, but we will definitely be recommending the odjo for our friends and family. I just hope that more plane operators start coming to Cape Verde - currently there is only Thomson direct.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

This is a funny one because I agree the best reviews, and in some ways also the worst, and I think it depends on your outlook!

To confirm the 5 star reviews, this is a smaller, family run hotel in the perfect location on a near perfect beach. It is kept very clean and tidy, is warmly and coherently decorated and the staff are friendly. The pool is small but clean and refreshing, the minibars are well stocked and reasonably priced. The weather is amazing too, so far so good. It is undoubtedly the best hotel on Sal.

I would like to pick up on two issues that I do feel warrant not such a glowing review though. First is the service. Yes, I understand, "no stress, no stress" - but on our first night we waited nearly an hour before being given menus and ordering drinks. That's pushing it by anyone's standards! It's difficult to enjoy a meal when you are waiting a comedic length of time between courses, and the food is not particularly intricate - it really shouldn't take that long, and is down to poor management.
On another night, I had some kind of very unpleasant "gastro" illness; as we hadn't eaten anywhere else I have to attribute this to the food at the restaurant, and I promise you that I generally have a strong constitution! More on the food later, but on that night, I was in no fit state to leave the room so my wife ordered some food to the room for herself. This again took over an hour, and they had also forgotten that we were half board and printed out a bill for this (easily cleared up with the staff later).

I will say that the service improved significantly half way through the week, I think in no small part to the presence of a smiling silver haired lady wandering round who we realised was probably the owner!

Regarding the food; this was someone we were really looking forward go, as other reviews had said "the best restaurant on Sal" and so on. Well, quite possibly, but you need to understand that this is a relative term! Other than fish, which is delicious and fresh (served with salad, chips, potatoes etc) EVERYTHING needs to be imported to Sal. Bear this in mind when ordering because anything other than fish may well cause disappointment. I suspect it was my hamburger that caused the night of misery! I think that due to the rave reviews, we were expecting a little more variety and/or finesse. For instance, I suspect the idea of cooking rare tuna is recent consequence of tourism (they endearingly label it on the menu as "semi-raw"!) - tasty, but even then it should be nicely charred on the outside but rare inside. This had been cooked too slowly and though it was rare, the outside was bit soft and anaemic, more like it had been poached rare!

I don't mean to to sound picky or snobby, I'm just trying to balance some of the other reviews. I think it's important to know that Sal is in some ways still quite poor and undeveloped (this will change soon, if all the hotel building is anything to go by) and you aren't going to go get what you might expect to receive in other more developed locations. This is a boon when it comes to the uncrowded beaches and lazy beach bars, but not so great when it comes to the food. Having said that, the lovely family we shared a jeep tour with said that their large, all inclusive hotel had several a la carte menus, and they had recently eaten sushi - surely an easy thing to make in an area with abundant fresh fish - so I'm not entirely sold on this "best food on Sal" thing!

I'll shut up about food now, and end on a couple of positive notes: the breakfast is good, with tuna carpaccio, sparkling wine, ham and cheese, traditional cachupa (like a corn hash with pieces of fish and meat) and bread/toast/jam/cereal etc. (although the coffee is poor - sorry!). Another thing we liked was the ability to put your half-board budget towards something from the a la carte menu, which meant we had lobster on our last night for about £10 each which was delicious. And to risk repeating other reviews, the restaurant setting is absolutely beautiful, looking out along the beach and out to sea.

Overall, despite 24 unpleasant hours on my part, we had a lovely and relaxing holiday and would really recommend Odjo d'Agua, just be aware that everything is not utter perfection as you might be inclined to think from other reviews!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

My partner and l took a 2 week holiday at what l can only describe as, 'the best of the rest' . As with most people, l read reviews before booking, the negatives (well, these people should stay at home) . Not many British guests staying there, but you will notice they are the ones that don't look like they are chewing wasps ! Found many foreign guests, to be rude & arrogant. All the staff were lovely, beautiful setting, food was great, rooms basic but clean and air con a blessing ! Thomas at the beach bar couldn't have been more helpful, really nice guy. Carlos and the restaurant staff, are really nice. The hotel is so full of olde worlde charm, unlike the huge new hotels further along the coast. It's a pity there are so many All lnclusive hotels, staying in their complex doesn't allow to experience the beautiful restaurants close by. Farolin (at the hotel) perfect, Barracuda, Leonardos, Chev Pasti, and Tam Tams for a great Irish welcome. The Island depends on the tourism, it is still very much a poor community, as we found when exploring the area, so they need all the help they can get. Street vendors, well, just say 'no thank you'. There are many dogs wandering around, but friendly. Only negative, the streets need to be kept free of litter and dog poo ! In a nutshell - great stress free, relaxing holiday. Will definitely return to the Odjo d'Agua.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
rye, east sussex, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from our second visit to this lovely family owned hotel. We love it because of its perfect position on the beach, its wonderful outdoor restaurant, and each time we have stayed we have had rooms in a beautiful position. Its the perfect place for couples to stay to enjoy a relaxing holiday. The staff are welcoming and friendly and the owners really seem to care that you have had a good time. The hotel is kept immaculatly clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Devizes, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Fantastic hotel which is small enought to maintain aunique charm. The staff are very friendly and helpful as well as always smiling. The restaurant is lovely and the food excellent. Straight on to the beach and in the heart of Santa Maria. The best hotel in the area by a mile.

Room Tip: Sea view is amazing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

If you want peace and quiet to unwind from the stresses and strains of everyday life, then this is the place for you! This hotel is by far one of the best we have stayed in. It's exceptionally located and with its beautiful pool and surroundings it has its own private beach too. It has one of the towns finest restaurants where you can enjoy fine dining and live music whilst watching the waves roll onto the beach. We would definitely consider returning to Sal and would without doubt stay at this hotel, preferably in a sea view room as the views are spectacular!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Didnt stay at this hotel, however during a fortnight stay we visited the hotel twice for a meal. food was superb, and the free minibus put on by the Odjo from the Riu complex is and added bonus. Steak was best steak I have ever tasted!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Odjo d'Agua Hotel? Share your experiences!