“Maybe 3 star” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach

You added Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach to your Saves list
Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Urbanizacao da Cabocan, Santa Maria, Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde   |
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Santa Maria
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Maybe 3 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

shocking service, shocking food especially for a vegetarian, bugs and cats galore , kettle tea and coffee but no milk no spoons and no other cutlery, lost our cash towel deposit, said we hadn't paid visitor tax ( we had ).

Thompson and the hotel say they have no record of our complaints ( I have a record and a copy from the rep and clearly the telephone call from the duty manager Karen was my imagination )

Rooms huge but who wants that ? I wanted a 5 star food and drink and entertainment experience not to watch some poorly trained staff doing aqua aerobics or the same staff banging drums or acting like mannequins in the evening. Drinks were really poor the cocktails were rank the same cocktail never tasted the same twice

Thompson not remotely interested and stated " other people said the hotel was 5 star so we must be wrong in our opinions" wouldnt go back if it was free

Faulty Towers in Cape Verde

I am posting this again because I don't see my original review anymore we travelled in may

Thompson wrote back as a result of my complaint said Ii wasn't upheld and added they hoped I had some fond memories of my time in Turkey !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thompson shame on you

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TortugaManager, General Manager at Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear LynnGC,

Thank you for having elected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having taken the time to express your opinion on our Hotel.

We are sad to learn that your stay with us was not up to your expectation. All the comments and feedback from our guests are taken very seriously and recorded for the improvement of our services.

The towel deposit is a standard procedure at our hotel for which you are given a towel card that you can exchange for fresh clean towels daily. Your deposit is given back to you at the end of your stay upon the return of the card, thus meaning no charge for this complimentary service. The tax is a government regulation according to which we are required to charge our guests. We keep a record of your payment and the receipt is provided.

In general the feedback that we get from our guests is that their suite is comfortable and that they enjoy the generous space available, hence it’s a surprise for me to know that you did not take pleasure in it.

Our team is made up of professionals with experience in offering a high quality customer service. We work very hard every day to ensure the full satisfaction and most of the feedback that we have received from our guests regarding our entertainment service is very positive and that our staffs are highly skilled with a genuine friendliness that is unique to the Cape Verdean people.

Tea, coffee, sugar and the necessary cutlery are provided in your Suite, for further replenishment you can request for them freely from any of our bars as we are an all inclusive resort.

I am very sorry that the food and drinks were not pleasing to your palate. Our guests commonly praise us on the food and drinks. However, we do understand that this could be a matter of taste and may vary from person to person.

We appreciate your review and will look into the issues that you have pointed here one by one. We hope that we can persuade you to come and visit us again in the future.

Jose Luis Cuevas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic week at this hotel. Management and staff were always available always helpful and always had a smile for you. My wife had requested a quiet room and we we're given a lovely 2 bedroom room which was clean spacious and very comfortable. We found the food to be very good and varied especially the lunch menu in the Ogrille restraunt. Pool area very clean plenty of loungers available bar and entertainment team always on hand if your thinking of visiting Cape Verde we would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
TortugaManager, General Manager at Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear davie51268,

Thank you for having taken the time to share about your experience with us and with other fellow travelers on Tripadvisor.

It is a pleasure to read that both you and your wife have enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you were happy with your room, with the food and with the hotel facilities.

We are grateful for your kind comments on our staff, it will be a pleasure to share your feedback with the staff to serve as an incentive to continue with the good work.

I sincerely appreciate you having elected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having recommended our hotel, we are looking forward for your return as our guests in the not too distant future.

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This Hotel is on the Island of Sal, Cape Verde. It has been open since 2012 as a new resort. Whilst the complex is up and running, development is continuing next door with Time Share apartments.(so we were told) So the building noise starts about 7.00am.

Thompson show this as a 5 star premium hotel, I would give it three star.

Although this has nothing to do with the Hotel, getting through immigration was a nightmare as their computers had gone down and they were charging 23 euros per person for an entry visa.
so eventually after a long wait we arrived at the Hotel to find that more forms had to be filled in and quite frankly the "check in" was chaotic. This after having a long wait at the airport, then to have a similar wait whilst people were processed through at check in was a little tiring.

Beware that they have to charge you 2 euro's per day, per person for Development tax( a government tax, we were told but for who's benefit) This can work out expensive if you are booked for two weeks and you are a family of four, disgraceful.

The Hotel has villas which are nearest the beach and then blocks of family apartments leading upto the main Hotel area. The family apartments all had kitchens, but nothing was stocked in them apart from two drinking glasses. I suspect that they were originally for Time Share but now converted to family apartments.

If you have one of these apartments make sure you are on the upper level. Tiles are used for the floor covering and you can hear everything above you. If you have late people over you, just the moving of a chair or anything that is dropped, sounds like a ton of bricks down below.

Food is very good with a wide range of buffet type food. On site they have another three restaurants.

service was very good and friendly although at the time of our visit the hotel was probably about a third occupancy. I do think they would have a problem with service if the hotel was full.

Access to the very long beach was good and plenty of activities exist, if you are that way inclined for beach volley ball and aerobics (Not my idea of relaxing).

There is not a lot to do on the island, so choose your excursions carefully,
Thompson holiday support this Hotel very well and the inclusive deal is well worth having, all the drinks are included (beer, wine and cocktails). You can really go to town if you have a large appetite as food is non stop.

We are not the type of people who travel on package holidays, but I have to say that Ollie, the Thompson Rep was excellent and very helpful. He was a credit to Thompson Holidays.

Off the complex it can get intimidating with the locals, trying to drag you into shops and following you everywhere. My advice is to stay within the Hotel grounds.

Weather was excellent, (no rain for the past 5 years, so we were told). It is a barren island, not much vegetation, although the hotel had, and was good and well manicured. There is a welcoming breeze every day which makes it bearable, but be careful as it is very deceiving and it can catch you out with sunburnt.

Evening entertainment was third rate but for a good R & R take advantage of this hotel (via Thompson) as it is exceptional value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TortugaManager, General Manager at Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Graham S,

Thank you for having elected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having taken the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am very sorry to read that the check in did not go as you have expected. The registration is an obligatory procedure; however we will continue to improve the check in process, including the obligatory tourism tax as per the government regulations.

It is rare to have complaints about the noise from the upper floor as generally our guests do comment on how quiet and relaxing their suites are, however, I have already made note of your observation and will investigate into it.

It’s nice to know that you were happy with the food and the service in the restaurants and bars, as it shows the results and the importance of our continuous on the job trainings.

There are different kinds of activities throughout the day – our guests can do yoga in the morning or just relax by the quiet pool while reading a book or take the courtesy bus to visit the town of Santa Maria – only to name a few.

Once again, I appreciate your comments and suggestions, we will look into them for future improvements of our services and I hope that I can count on your visit once again in the near future.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We returned a week ago from a two week stay at the Melia Tortuga. My husband and I very rarely consider returning to a place once we have been there.....we will make an exception for this hotel. The place is spotless, the food is excellent in all of the restaurants and ALL the staff work exceptionally hard. They are all polite and friendly, we didn't come across one single member of staff who could be described as surly....perhaps you get back what you give, a smile costs nothing! I won't single anyone out for praise as I believe that everyone has a part to play in the smooth running of the hotel.
There isn't an awful lot to do on the island but we knew that before we went. We did the jeep safari which was an excellent morning out, we saw bits of the island we wouldn't have been able to see otherwise.
We had a thoroughly relaxing time and we have already recommended Melia Tortuga to friends as an excellent place to stay.
Keep up the good work!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TortugaManager, General Manager at Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Arenas52,

I genuinely appreciate you having selected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your two weeks stay and for having set aside some time to share your experience with us and with other fellow travelers through Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you both have enjoyed your holidays with us and that our services, our food and our staff service are all according to your expectations. It gives us a sense of delight to perceive that our guests have considered our staff to be polite and friendly and of course it also means that we will keep on within the same lines and continuously work on developing a much better service every day.

Thank you kindly for having recommended our hotel, I am very pleased to know that you have decided to give us another visit in the future, please know that it will be with pleasure that we will welcome you back and for me to have the opportunity to greet you personally then.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Just returned from two weeks all inclusive from this resort and had a fantastic time there.
My hubby,two girls aged 16 and 11 and I thoroughly enjoyed our latest holiday.It is true that this Island is underdeveloped and relatively quiet, but for us that was the beauty of the holiday.
Loved the unspoilt, back to basics attitude of the whole place,very non commercialised which made it really lovely in it's own way.
The hotel however was just fabulous,Quality,Clean,Friendly and Spacious are just a few words I would use to describe it.The suite's were unexpectedly large and of a very good standard.The entertainment team headed up by Cristianos were brilliant and most of the bar and restaurant staff were very kind,helpful and obliging ( my favourite's were "Gildo" and "Jose" )
Management were very hands on and were only ever to pleased to assist with any query's.
What Brit's abroad need to remember is that this is a tiny Island off the West Coast of Africa whose only industry prior to tourism was salt mining and fishing-they are new to the tourism industry and are learning brilliantly......don't moan because there isn't a Maccy's on the highstreet or a plethora of booming nightclubs...just enjoy the beauty and simplicity of the place...we certainly did :) ( oh and you must do the Bali bed experience for the day....well worth the 25 Euro's )

Room Tip: Rooms off the Main pool enable easy access to beach,entertainment and main hotel without being too f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Joanne P,

Thank you for having chosen Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your two weeks holiday with your family and for having set aside some time to share your impressions with us through Tripadvisor.

It’s a great pleasure to perceive that you have thoroughly enjoyed your holidays and were able to wind down and relax, Sal is indeed an ideal place for that as it is as you have mentioned quiet, has a unique natural and an unspoilt natural beauty.

I appreciate your kind comments regarding our services and specially our staff, who work hard everyday to ensure that our guests can take pleasure from their stay and when this is so it means that we have reached our goal and will serve as an incentive to keep up with the good work. I will certainly share your message with my staff and I am sure that they will be very happy to hear from you.

Last, but not least, we would like to let you know that it will surely give us a lot of satisfaction to have you as our guests again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

On last day of our holiday feel I must write and say how wonderful this hotel is I have never been to such a clean and happy hotel the staff just can't do enough for you everywhere is spotless so much selection of food. It was our anniversary while we were there and they had arranged a special night for us with a bottle of bubbly and a wonderful cake in the o grille on the beach, which is one of three el la carte restaurants on site, a night we will never forget. While your here you must try and go on one of the tours, we did the 4x4 so pleased we did as you see so much of the real Cape Verde! If your looking to come to Cape Verde you must try this fantastic hotel I'm sure you will be as pleased as my family and I have been looking to book again for next holiday thanks again to all the staff your doing a wonderful job.

Room Tip: Villas are a fantastic place with own pool
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
TortugaManager, General Manager at Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Cara S,

I sincerely appreciate you having selected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your family holidays and I thank you also for your time in writing this review on Tripadvisor.

We are very pleased that you have allowed us to be part of the memory of such an important occasion in your lives and even more pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and were happy with our hotel and our services.

It’s great that you and your family have taken the opportunity to get to know the island better through a 4x4 tour.

On behalf of all of my staff, I would like to thank you for your kind comments and let you know that it will be a great pleasure for us to welcome you to our hotel again hopefully very soon.

Kind regards,
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Sal is only a small island and has lots of development going on but this hotel was fantastic. It definitely went passed our expectations. Staff were brilliant on arrival and made us feel very welcome.
Our room was very lovely and we had a fantastic view from the balcony, it was very spacious with good facilities. The complex is beautiful and quite green and well worth a wonder around. The pools were good and very clean with staff on hand for towels and drinks etc.
We spent most of our days on the beach. It was very quiet with most people choosing the pool side. The beach is soft golden sand which gets very hot, you have a short walk to the actual sea and the water is quite choppy some days and not many people went in due to wind and strong currents. However the pools make up for this if you need a cool down. Some nice rock pools a few minutes down the beach where you can see some sea life.
The beach bar was fab and the food here at lunch times was very good.
The main restaurant was also very good serving a good variety of food. Some of the best fish I've had including yellow fin tuna and wahoo fish. You can see these being caught in the local town Santa Maria which the hotel has a free shuttle bus and is only 15 mins away or a nice long walk along the beach.
The other restaurants are also worth a visit especially the Aqua restaurant.
Hotel was very clean and always had staff cleaning somewhere including the rooms done daily. Very good trip/excursions can be booked through the hotel and I recommend the quad bike tour of the island. Lasts a few hours but you get to see some amazing sights and parts of the island you might not otherwise.
Facilities at the hotel were very good and staff happy to help where poss to make it the best holiday possible. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Pool view and first floor would probably be best. Our ground floor was very good though.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TortugaManager, General Manager at Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Alfie H,

I sincerely appreciate you having selected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and you having taken the time to share your impression with us and with other fellow travelers on Tripadvisor.

I am very pleased to perceive that your holidays here have exceeded your expectations and it’s a pleasure to know that you were happy with our food, our hotel grounds, our staff and general services. It is great that you tried the fish, this is the freshest product available in the island as you yourself might have noticed.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, everybody here works very hard to ensure that our guests feel at home and enjoy their holidays, and when this is so it means that we have accomplished our objectives.

I hope that you would return to visit us again in the not too distant future and allow me the pleasure of greeting you personally then.

Jose Luis Cuevas

Been to Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach? Share your experiences!