“A truly disappointing experience.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sabura Ponta Preta

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Sabura Ponta Preta to your Saves list
Hotel Sabura Ponta Preta
5.0 of 5 Inn   |   Urbanizacao de Ponta Preta, 2E, Santa Maria, Ilha do Sal 4111, Cape Verde   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Santa Maria B&B and Inns
Jonkoping, Sweden
“A truly disappointing experience.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Without knowing - if someone told me this hotel was built in 2009, I would not have believed it. But since I stayed at the excellent neighbouring hotel Dunas 4 years back and I remember Sabura being built . Sabura is run down, tiles missing in the pool, lamps hanging from the roof and rust everywhere. The fire extinguisher was on red and probably not checked since it was once put there. Back to the pool. Beside tiles missing water too was missing. Both pools very only half full! The grass around them was 2 feet tall and tables where missing. We used the pool once then we went to the beach which is truly fantastic. On the first day I enquired the restaurant about the menu and got a list with different dishes but no prizes. Apparently they only have the prizes in the computer! So when looking at the menu you have no idea what it will set you back! The breakfast was, by some distance, the worst I have ever had in a hotel And I have travelled to some remote places in my day. The last couple of days we even considered skipping breakfast because of the lacklustre servings. There were quite many flies both around the pool and in the restaurant, which is strange since there is not really hard to get rid of flies these days. The rooms and the cleaning was ok, but the AC aggregate was placed on the balcony so when sitting there you had to switch it off due to the noise. Not very smart indeed. The beds were rock hard, took me 3 nights to get any sleep. The TV had only one viewable channel, CNN, which mostly was very poor picture quality. The service was not very good, I injured my feet at the beach and limped back to the reception and asked for a first aid kit. They didn't have any! No one offered to try to get me to a hospital or point to the nearest pharmacy. Luckily I always bring some first aid stuff so I could sort my self out in the room. One day we asked for where you could rent a ATV "quad" and the girl in the reception had no idea what so ever! When we asked around town it was not hard to find but still. I think the behaviour if the staff was a reflection of the owner (which we never interacted with, she did not even say hello) who was described by a local taxi driver as "the bad Portuguese lady". I have several other things that was not up to standards with this hotel but I think it's enough now.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Rooms OK and clean. No shelf in bathroom or somewhere to plug in electric toothbrush. Only one or two members of staff understood SOME English. Most had no idea what you were asking. The lock on the patio door to my friend's room was broken and she was unable to lock it throughout our stay, despite requests to get it fixed. Crumbling walls, overgrown grass, flowerless bushes, flaking swimming pool which was also "out of order" for some of the stay. Disgusting, cheap food, badly cooked, for example, at breakfast orange squash made up in a jug instead of orange juice, very stale cereal which one could not chew. The "Restaurant" looks like a transport cafe with very harsh lighting and is depressing to sit in. We were all inclusive but they ran out of what I was drinking (white rum) and laughed about it with no apology or intent to provide what I wanted. I was unwell one night and Reception had no idea how to contact the local clinic emergency out of hours number. No information in rooms re meal times etc. Only a few loungers which people put towels on in order to keep for themselves. No relaxing place to sit, except upstairs with no bar and which we knew nothing about until a couple of days before we left. The whole place looks run down and derelict. Unsmiling, sullen, unhelpful staff until the day we left and we gave them a tip and suddenly they could not do enough for us half an hour before the coach came to collect us.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Having read reviews before we went I wanted to change to another hotel but it was too late to do so without high extra expense so off we went. So glad we did as had a super two weeks, food was excellent, room very clean, staff friendly and helpful, peaceful and quiet, short walk to beach or taxi to town. And of course perfect weather ! Would certainly go back again. Jenny P

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Exmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed for 2 weeks and could happily have stayed longer. Very clean, very quiet & very relaxing. I did a few tours (booked with Salmine tours, a little kiosk in Santa Maria just off the main street next to CV mobile - good value, the woman is English and gave me a lot of info and tips, they were very helpful) a bit of exploring some snorkeling and had a few days just relaxing. Staff at the Sabura were great, some spoke better English than others but I had no problems understanding any of them or being understood, Flavio & Cidre both speak very good English. On the first night I explained that I am vegan, (I had anticipated eating salad, chips & fruit for 2 weeks), they were brilliant, they added vegan options to all of the menus & ran out for soy milk. The food was lovely and I couldn't believe the effort they made. All of the staff were friendly, some were shy to start with but I smiled at them and said hi and within a couple of days they were all smiling, waving and wishing me a good day every time they saw me, I even got hugged before I left. Neither of the Sabura's pools were out of order for the 2 weeks I was there. One is meant to be shallower than the other, it has the depth written on the side. The hotel, rooms and pools are as the pictures, the grass is a little longer but wasn't growing through any of the sun loungers I used. If you like hotels with 1000 rooms & lots of kids and are happy to pay hundreds of £s more (about £740 extra for 2 people for 12 days) then yeah, go to the Funana. I can't remember the last time I was as relaxed as I was at the Sabura, I met some lovely people and I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: I was in room 112, ground floor, furthest from reception and very close to the pool. Very quiet and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
west midlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

two pools first was out of order the second only half full. the pictures in the broucher were not the same, when we arrived the grass was growing through the sun loungers. by 11pm the place was locked up. the hotel only had ten people staying there
after two days we transferred to the funana hotel over the road that was a brilliant place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We arrived for a week away in the sun to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. The first room had no hot water so we were moved the next room had hot water but not very good air conditoning, so the next day we were moved again to a suite, which was much better. No problem with hot water and air conditioning was ok. Food was home cooked and different every day, basic selection of drinks available beer and wine very drinkable. We meet some lovely people and had a really great time. The weather of course was perfect hot and sunny every day, we found plenty to do and did a couple of tours. Glad we went all inclusive as eating out is not cheap, definetly the right choice. But be careful of which hotel you choose,in some of the bigger hotels the quality of food was substandard as was some of the hygiene as we heard a number of people had stomach upsets. We however had not even a suggestion of a problem The hotel was fantastically clean floors swept and washed every day, this reflected the standard of food hygiene, the flys are a nusiance outside but there were never any in the restaurant. the staff were lovely and really could not do enough for you, the manager needs a lesson in manners and she should smile more ! She should be setting an example to her staff , but they outshine her by miles. it was a lovely quiet location a real oasis of peace and quiet. we would definetly go back , thanks first choice we really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: rooms on the ground floor have a better selection of shade, and you will need it! however the second...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We booked in for two weeks and what a lovely holiday. Really clean and tidy. There was always plenty of food. If you did not like the menu at all there was always the snack menu, bacon and egg, sausage, ham and cheese toasties. The bar staff were great, Zieed, Flavier, Cidre and Daniel. The staff were great, but the manageress was not. She berated the staff in front of the guests etc. Also it says that the tax should be a max of 20Euros, but we had to pay 22 euros each and another couple had to pay 25 euros each. Evidently the hotel did not use the official exchange rate but their own local rate. This is a really clean, quiet hotel. We loved it. We met a lovely group of people. Ok the jaccuzi did not work but the manageress did say that they were waiting for a pump from Portugal, the pools were clean and looked after. I do not know where Pat M got the idea that the pools were un usable and the loungers dirty, the staff were for ever cleaning
If you don't want a quiet hotel go over the road to the big hotel with lots of rooms and kids, and leave this little oasis for us.

Room Tip: All rooms quiet and well positioned. I would ask for a room on the top floor, then you will not be w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sabura Ponta Preta? Share your experiences!