“Not worth it!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aparthotel Santa Maria Beach

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Maria
Aparthotel Santa Maria Beach
You added Aparthotel Santa Maria Beach to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   Santa Maria, Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde   |
Ranked #7 of 11 Santa Maria B&B and Inns
Nottingham
“Not worth it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

Where to start!
i guess with the plus side, nice beaches and great winter sun,if a little windy at times,but that's why the surfers love it.
Now the down side, when I went in mid September the only thing that out numbered the mosquito's were the flies, oh the fliessssssssssssssssss.
We stayed on the Island of Sal in the main resort of Santa Maria.
Otherwise known as the islands main building site,every where you go there is building going on and the roads are what you'd expect in or around a building site.
Also the place is expensive as 90% of things are imported and with the pound to euro rate linked ,and things on the island priced in euros it can be a little pricey.
Major item to avoid in my opinion is the island tour,why you might well ask!
Well we were taken around in a Landrover Defender which is not the most comfortable car in the world at the best of times,but crammed into one in 35c of sun with a very high humidity was beyond reason.
But would it be worth it?
Well I'd say no, the first stop were the old salt flats, mucky water in abandoned pools in the ground,then onto a local town (Off Road) a quick march thru,guided in and out of a few tourist trap shops then back into the Land Rovers,by this time a number of people had ditched the trip and flagged down local taxi cabs to get back to the hotel rather than face more of the tour!(I wish I had).
the highlight was yet to come,an off road trip to the islands capital and all they could come up with as a highlight was the local hospital,I kid you not.
Then lunch, lunch was 50 or so tourist dropped in a local cafe to get a coffee or sandwich,standing in the Q for 15 minutes in full sun was not much fun(end of the Q).
After that back to the Land Rovers and up to the Local High point for a view over the island.
Then back to the Hotels, thank God!
To finish on a high note, I did go scuba diving with Orca diving in Santa Maria and found them to be very well run and would use them again if ever I had to go back.
Not the worse place I've ever been,but for what it costs to go there and what you get,I think I can do much better.
Maybe in a few years when things have moved on this might be worth the effort, but until then I'll pass on it!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips

Been to Aparthotel Santa Maria Beach? Share your experiences!