“Great Town -- Great Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Whitewater Adventure!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Creek
Albany, NY
“Great Town -- Great Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Our trip to North Creek was spur of the moment and we were fortunate to find Alpine Lodge. The town was quiet which added to our goal of "getting away" from the rat race. The Alpine Lodge was the best. Easy walks to breakfast and dinner added to the experience. We'll be back!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

We were a group of 2 families, with 2 children under 2. The hotel is clean, comfortable, and all new. The lack of a front desk didn't bother us at all, the key codes worked smoothly. I am giving only a 3 for service since there didn't seem to be any, I don't know what would have happened if we'd needed to use the service phone for something. I would have been happier if the rooms were set back from the road a bit more, it was noisy at night. Neither of our rooms had tubs and the sinks were pretty small, which was a bit of a setback for bathtime for the young kids, but otherwise no complaints. Within easy walking distance of everything in town and less than 10 mintues from Gore Mt (check out the gondola ride, awesome). It was also the only place for about 20 miles where our cell phones worked. I would definitely stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Haverhill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Went up to North Creek as part of a "destination race" weekend with 12 other folks. Participated in "Race the Train" 8.4 mile road race on Sat.

Six of us stayed at the Alpine Lodge, it was listed on the race flyer and looked good on the web site. When we called and talked to Scott the Mgr. when we said we were coming up for the race and we actually called to make reservations he gave us a third night FREE. Thurs, Fri, and Sat.

What a GREAT experience. Easy check in, our room key number was e-mailed to us, simply show up and code in!

Wasn't sure how to get into the common room, so I called Scott and he he answered immediately and let me know.

The room "deluxe queen" was perfect, very clean, we had a nice deck out back and a nice sitting area in front to mingle with our other running friends.

Great hot water and roomy shower Flat screen TV, very quiet even though the lodge was full. Bed top class, pillow top and 800 count sheets!!

The common room has a even bigger TV with a small fridge, fireplace, sofa's and lots of info. The wine social on Sat. is great and can lead to meeting all sorts of new friends.

In the evening Scott often makes a fire out back for people to socialize. He even will let you borrow his grill for a BBQ!

Easy access to local shops and restaurants. Two great coffee shops nearby and a Grand Union supermarket right across the street.

Cell phone access is spotty as is Wireless internet, but you can get them if you try.

Lots of different rooms to pick from as well, worth checking out if you are going in a group,

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Nashua, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

We chose the Alpine lodge because it was handy to a weekend event that was the reason for our trip. The event and some other events were great but our stay at the Alpine lodge turned into a very unexpected bonus.

Centrally located in downtown North Creek NY, the physical venue was newly renovated to the point of seeming all brand new, wonderfully built and comfortably decorated without too much fluff. That should not be interpreted as being ordinary for it was not. The place was spotlessly clean and was unusual in that it didn't appear to have a staff in the traditional sense. The housekeep was visible but hardly noticeable. The manage Scott could easily have been mistaken for another guest though there was never a sense that he was distracted from his job description.

The bonus I mentioned was "Scott". He provided us with tons of information at the area, activities and dining. I was there for 3 and half days along with my wife and 6 friends. Scott had all us mixing with other guests and was often a welcome part of our down time. All the guests had plenty of refreshments with us and we invited Scott to join us. There were snacks, cocktails, sitting around a fire pit, lunches in the great room, trips to the supermarket for burgers and the fixings. Scott hauled out a grill, disappeared and returned with personally whipped up pasta salad. Scott was never acting a mooch and contributed regularly to the fair availble, be it margurita fixings or Wine Slush, and he has this rather delightfully different ice crusher, blender, mixer which seems to operate itself.

If it wasn't for his attending to other guests at times or his questioning us about our needs it was like Scott traveled from New England as part of our group. All this while minding the store as it were. The other guests we met were buzzing about how different our stay was because of Scott. All of us went our separate ways multiple times each day, so we never felt pressured to get involved in the Alpine Lodge atmosphere.

Just before we checked out this AM, all those in our party went out for breakfast and we commented about how impersonal most of our other traveling stays had been at what were very nice hotels.

Steve from New Hampshire

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

My family spent four nights in North Creek and we had the suite, great master bedroom, totally separate twin bed room, large kitchen and living area. Bathroom is small but wasn't planning on sleeping in there. The bath goodies were very nice and the decor was so Adirondack. I loved being able to fix breakfast or go next door to Marsha's. Sarah's cafe was opened two of the mornings and the pastry and coffee were great. BarVino is close by and we enjoyed the tapas and wine and great beer on tap. This little town is a gem. The sitting area out on the porch was very nice and the view overlooking the wooded area was very peaceful and quiet.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

Our stay at The Alpine Lodge was one of our families most memorable experiences. We choose Memorial weekend with our children to have an adventure with Tommy The Train and when we arrived at the Lodge it was more than I expected. Pictures and words are not enough to express the clean fresh comfortable ambiance of the Lodge. We enjoyed spending down time with and without the children in the Great Room. I recommend The Alpine Lodge to anyone with or without children. If you're looking for a romantic weekend this is the place!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
nyc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

i will stay alone in a Motel but only under the following conditions: upper floor for quiet and safety, inside bolt, onsite manager, working phone, motel price. I was promised a king size suite with pull out bed, the "lodge" pictures promise a well'-appointed, luxurious lodge environment. Judge for yourself: The lodge gathering room is accessible from street if you can remember the entry code which you punch into a keypad lock. The small room looked crowded with unsupervised unruly kids and i didn't bother to join them. The front desk is a small closet equipped with a phone and open to the street. A list of instructions posted on wall include the following 5 options: "to check in please dial 1, if no one picks up dial 2, if no one... etc". I got to 3. The Voice checked my creds and gave me a code to memorize to open my room door. No paper to write it down, I gave my daughter half the numbers to remember and committed the last halt to memory. Only 4 numbers but after a 5 hour drive and the stress of finding myself in a phone booth to check into what was definetely not a lodge but actually a motel, i sensed i might not be at my peak... I park my car in front of my room , right on main street. I open the door, barely missing the bed, there is no entry, it is a tiny room, 2 FULL beds stuffed in low ceiling space, window on the street, TV in next unit blaring through wall, heavy footsteps upstairs, the walls are paper thin. an opening next to far bed reveals a bathroom on the right and a door to a patio, view to a dirt parking lot and some trees. i wonder why the room isn't flipped. this is what should be on the street side, the room's windows could have had a mediocum of a view and it would have felt much safer. I dial o . The Voice announces since they've been sold out of a king size suite for days and days and i booked only yesterday, i must have asked for a room with 2 queens. I timidly mention these are fulls, not queens. It's time to go. Luckily, there was availability down the road at a beautiful facility, opposite side of street, walking distance to the right. see my next review.. I was told there would be no charge to my credit card due to mix up. Will write again if they do charge me. They need to own up and market it as the motel that it is. Tucked in cute town, they are across from the supermarket, This is not luxury, however it is clean,attractive and the most recently renovated motel in area, the town is quiet and safe, the crowd is rural and friendly. They should also staff the place with at least one evening check in shift. Put the reception desk in the "great room" and get the kids to quiet down.

• Stayed March 2009
SharonTaylor, Owner at The Alpine Lodge, responded to this review, November 20, 2009
Dear CJay,

We Wannabe a MOTEL- because that’s what we are. I believe that’s what we represent in our website and our written material. And there is a Manager(s) on duty 24/7. I am sorry you had another vision and were disappointed.

There must have been a misunderstanding with your reservation; if you booked a large “Luxury King”- it does sound like you received a “Standard Double” and they are very different in size. Your confirmation would clearly have stated the room you reserved….Obviously, you were not charged for whatever confusion transpired. We are heartily sorry, IF the error was ours. We pride ourselves on our meticulousness.

The “Great Room”, is a common area for all our guests use with a very large flat screen tv and a fireplace. It is a large room – I think of it as a quiet room except during the Superbowl or when groups of families “overtake” it. The resident Manager, who is on premise 24/7 does normally keep an eye on things., however; we do rely on parents to watch their children as we do not provide daycare.

We do have an unusual check-in system. You do receive a keycode via e-mail, about a week before you arrive, which is unique to you for the duration of your stay. If you have forgotten, or don’t have the 4-digit code, the 24/7 Manager is on hand to assist you, but you do contact the Manager from a small “kiosk” (yes, its closet sized) with a direct telephone to reach them day or night. Of course, once you are in your room, you can contact them day or night from the comfort of your room. We do find that the great majority of people bring the keycode and confirmation with them, or if they do forget they can remember the 4 digits. Thank you for your comment, we do now supply small slips of paper and urge the Manager to come up and show you to your room personally (and personably!).

We are genuinely sorry that you did not enjoy the Alpine Lodge, you can see from the other reviews that many people do enjoy our small ski town location and even our unusual check-in/key procedure. We appreciate the critique as we can positively change our operation as we wish to be an important part of this Ski Town for many years to come!

Best, Sharon Taylor

Been to The Alpine Lodge? Share your experiences!