“My first "Groupon Trip"” 4 of 5 stars

The Red Coach Inn Historic Bed and Breakfast Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Buffalo Avenue, Niagara Falls, NY 14303   |
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“My first "Groupon Trip"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I booked a room at the Red Coach Inn through Groupon as a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday. I booked the trip in October, and called a few days before the trip in January to confirm everything was still good to go, and I was told the name of the suite I had booked.

When we arrived, we checked in at the front desk and were told the name of a suite other than the one I had booked. I asked the woman at the front desk what happened, and why they gave my room to someone else, when I been told 2 days ago my reservation was still the same. She stood there looking uncomfortable and silent before walking away to get a manager. The manager told us we'd "enjoy the new room they assigned just as much". I informed him as politely as I could that I had looked through all the different suite pictures on their website (a very helpful tool), and that it was indeed smaller, only one room instead of 2, on the first floor instead of the second, and I wasn't a big fan of the teal color scheme. He apologized, looked in the computer, and "magically" something better was available. He invited us to the bar for a free drink while a different suite was prepared for us.

Once we got all of that out of the way, we were taken to the room by the manager, and it was very beautiful, ornate, and cozy, with a nice view of the falls. We greatly enjoyed the roaring fire place on a frigid January night. The hot tub in the room was clean and spacious. We also appreciated the complementary cheese/fruit tray in the fridge. The king sized bed was incredibly plush and soft, with a sea of throw pillows and blankets. The Bose radio/CD player in the room was a nice touch and sounded great.

After we got back from dinner, we sat in the bar/restaurant to have a drink. Service was great, the low light and large fire place made it very cozy. The next morning we were treated to a wonderful breakfast in the enclosed patio, and enjoyed watching the snow fall and the falls roaring while we ate.

Overall we really enjoyed our time here. A very beautiful and historic old building with nice rooms and nice staff. However, it worked well because of the deal from Groupon, I'm not sure I would pay the regular full price for it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Gary P, Manager at The Red Coach Inn Historic Bed and Breakfast Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for your response, I will share with our staff the nice comments you have written. Groupon is a great promotion for us to show case our hotel and restaurant. We at the Red Coach Inn will welcome you and your family to visit us again on your next trip to Niagara Falls.
Gary Pacioni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband surprised me with this little birthday getaway. We stayed in the Manchester Room, and yes it did open on to the parking lot but we were only staying one night. The room was small (cozy) and clean and nicely furnished with antiques (and perhaps a reproduction here or there) but lovely. The Red Coach Inn has preserved the integrity of its historic beginnings, retaining all of its character and charm which you would expect. From the time we walked into the lobby and were greeted by Gary until the time we reluctantly departed we were made to feel very welcome. The staff we had the pleasure of meeting (Russ, Brittney-forgive any misspellings, James-thanks for the tour of the suites, and the amazing Chef Bruce, and others whose names, I'm afraid I've forgotten) only enhanced our stay. The Red Coach Inn is in an idyllic location on the Niagara River with the rapids, the Falls, the beautiful park...stunning! And all that just a few feet from their front door. So different from the Canadian side (we're from Toronto and know of what we speak). Although you do have to go outside to access your room, restaurant, or lobby it doesn't even count as an inconvenience in our books. But if there is one tiny issue, it would have to be the rather slow service in the dining room. We were pleasantly surpised to learn we had arrived in time for "Restaurant Week" and Chef Bruce did not disappoint! We ate in the dining room for our entire stay (included breakfast is not your average "continental" or "cook your own waffles", but a full menu selection), and we even extended our last day just so we could enjoy another of Chef Bruce's fantastic dinners. We will most definitely be back and have already highly recommended the Red Coach Inn to our family and friends!! Will be planning a "girls weekend" for next month, too! Kudos to Gary and the rest of his staff and a very special shout out to Chef Bruce.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gary P, Manager at The Red Coach Inn Historic Bed and Breakfast Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Red Coach Inn. The nice comments will be shared to all of our staff, including Chef Bruce. We are very happy that you enjoyed your birthday celebration, and I hope you and you family will come back soon to visit us at The Red Coach Inn.
Happy Birthday, and thank you for staying with us,
Bury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The hotel is a strange mix between an hotel and a motel, the rooms are accessed from the outside and the hotel doesn't feel like it has a centre to it. The room we had, The Sheffield, was large and comfy but a little dark. We could hear and see the upper rapids from our room as we were at the front of the hotel
The hotel is well placed for the falls and for walking over into Canada ( make sure you have 50c for the return journey and take your passport)
Breakfast was good, you pick from the menu and is included in the rate
A little pricey overall and help with bags to the room would have been good but overall well worth considering if you are in the area

Room Tip: ask for a room at the front if you want to hear the falls
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Sheffield Suite, as well as the food in our restaurant. I will share with our staff all of your comments, and hope to see you again on your next visit to Niagara Falls.
General Manager Red Coach Inn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I was greeted at the front desk by a warm host.
Had to take my own luggage to my room (no big deal) room thow was on the first floor facing the lower bumpers of the parked vehicles in the rear parking lot they try to hide it flower pots :/
So my view was bad .
The room was small about the size of a standard motel size room but clean and updated,room service was polite and quick .
The lobby and dining area was out side of our rooms building around the corner so you had to go out side then back in to check in and out and if you wanted to eat at there dining area.

The food at he dining area was very good and priced fair .

What made the place acceptable was its location. You can walk to everything you need to do and the falls are steps away....careful you can fall in as your that close :)

Parking was free
Over all a solid B ....nothing spectacular about the place but its very fair .

• Stayed March 2012
We greatly appreciate your kind remarks relative to service, cleanliness, and food quality. I will be sure and share these comments with our staff. Our staff will look forward to servicing you on your next trip to Niagara Falls.
General Manager Red Coach Inn
Hagerstown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed for one night only, at the Cambridge suite, and we simply loved it. It was like a home away from home. The rooms were spacious, full kitchen, with a large living area. The decor was antique, and it was most unique. The view was superb, with the rapids flowing just a few hundred feet away, and just 5 mins of walking distance from the American falls. Parking is free and the staff was helpful. The restaurant was very good, only complain being they were very late serving our orders. But the food was so good, that we are disregarding that. Will stay here again if we revisit Niagara.

- Raha family

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gary P, Manager at The Red Coach Inn Historic Bed and Breakfast Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your response, I am very happy you enjoyed the Cambridge suite, with the spectacular view of the Niagara rapids. I will share your kind words with our entire staff, and we at the Red Coach Inn will welcome you to stay with us again on your next visit to Niagara Falls.
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stopped here and made a dinner reservation for later so we could take a walk to the falls at sunset. We arrived back at the Red Coach a few minutes before our reservation time and were told that it would be a 15 to 20 minute wait for a table in a dining room that had several empty tables! In spite of many positive reviews these people do not seem to understand the idea of a reservation. I will not return.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. We appreciate everyone's feedback as it allows us the opportunity to evaluate our restaurant operation in the eyes of our guests. Good or bad, we really want to know and we take your comments seriously.
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

it is a nice location. waking distance from the rapids and the center. we got the niagara suite. it was clean in a way, not under the beds though. my complaints are the maids come in the afternoon when we r actually in the apartment and ofc we don't want maids to be around us when in home so that was kinda disappointing. we were 6 people in the suite, on the fridge we only found 3 drinks and a plate of cheese and grapes, good for maybe 2 people. seriously for paying $550/night my fridge better be full but it wasn't and that was like one time courtesy. the service for breakfast was so slowwww, seriously we would spend like 1hr and 1/2 just for breakfast. that was ridiculous. the view is not what you see on the website specially if ur on the second floor, mostly you can see trees. and they have really small windows in all the rooms. oh and the last is i asked them specifically to be on the third floor but still i got the second floor. oh well

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Red Coach Inn Historic Bed and Breakfast Hotel? Share your experiences!