“Dreary stay in dreary Niagara. Hostel ok though!” 3 of 5 stars

You added Wanderfalls Guesthouse & Hostel to your Saves list
Wanderfalls Guesthouse & Hostel
601 Spruce Avenue, Niagara Falls, NY 14301   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Dreary stay in dreary Niagara. Hostel ok though!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Thankfully we only spent one evening in this lost little town.

We had such bad luck with the weather which meant we didn't spend much time by the falls, and had to fill the rest of the day wandering around a quite frankly run-down left-to-rot area.

The hostel itself is OK, no real complaints there. You get what you pay for. We had the private room and it was fine, comfortable, no noise while sleeping, no problem.

It is however further away from the falls as in the description. You need a good 20 minutes minimum to walk there.

Breakfast pancakes were nice. Andre, one of the owners, was friendly and even drove us to pick up our rental car for a small fee.

I imagine we'd have enjoyed the experience more with better weather, but luck wasn't on our side.

In the summer, seeing as you're hardly flush with other accommodation offers, this place would be decent enough to reside in for a few days, if you can handle that long in Niagara! A truly forgettable town!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wanderfalls, Owner at Wanderfalls Guesthouse & Hostel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
I understand that weather can truly impact anyone's experience anywhere. In the early spring, the weather can be "dreary." Also, none of the main summer attractions are open to divert your attention from the lousy weather if you are unfortunate enough to have it. Niagara Falls is an interesting town; no big lights, no glitz, but lots of history not to mention a wonder of the world which is always "Open" in it's natural setting. Places are often what you make of them.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stay here for a layover night, but still received very helpful comments from the owners to see the fall in night (you can't miss it)! At the first glance it may be very off from what you expected if you are expecting a starred hotel, but it is absolutely one of the best hostels I have stayed. Great atmosphere, too.

Also Andre sent me to the Amtrak station in early morning (6:30am) for only $5, far cheaper than a cab.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this guesthouse for one night in March. The owners were very friendly and helpful and gave us lots of information about the Falls. We had a private room, which was very comfortable. The pancakes for breakfast were freshly made and tasted delicious. We had a car, so we didnt have to walk, I guess it would have been a 20minutes walk to the Falls. Would definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed March 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

A very nice small house hostel, I was collected from the Amtrak station by Andre for a small fee of $5 which is far cheaper than a taxi, all the local services and shops were also pointed out on the drive to the hostel.
On arrival I met the other half of the duo, Carroll, also just as friendly and helpful. I was given a tour around and shown to my room, good sized lockers, very clean and comfy beds, that's all I needed. Kitchen is well equipt and everything works fine. Just a generally very cosy place to stay!

There's a supermarket just over two blocks away that has everything food wise you'll need. Andre makes brilliant pancakes In the morning and these are free, far more than you get in most hostels. There is also free coffee in the breakfast period, but tea is available all day long.

Never had any issues with the Wi-Fi, it worked without fault during my whole stay and was pretty fast.

Falls isn't far away, I don't know why people are moaning about this, they moan but aren't willing to pay to book into a hotel next to the falls, so they've only themselves to blaim! It's a 10 minute walk if that down to
Rainbow Bridge and across to the falls!

Well done Carroll and Andre! :)

• Stayed March 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

During my quick trip to photograph the beauty of Niagara Falls I stayed at an enchanting backpackers hotel, sometimes called, hostels. I encourage those who want a more personal stay to include Wanderfalls Guesthous & Hotels as a part of their adventure. In addition to the the hospitable staff(husband and wife), the hostel is a short walk from all the sites Niagra has to offer. Breakfast and wi-fi are included and for a small fee towels are supplied and laundry can be done. The hostel itself is cozy and has a very at home feel to it. A great stay in my travel book.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I enjoyed my stay here. I have stayed in many hostels in Europe but not as many in the US. The owners were very helpful, and the waffles in the morning were fantastic. The rooms were clean and spacious enough, and overall the house was very nice. We were about 5-10 minute walk from the park. I was going back and forth about whether to stay in NY or Ontario, and if I had to go back I would probably pick Ontario because there is a lot more going on there, although it is kind of nice to be away from the craziness. The views from the Canadian side are definitely better, but you can easily walk across the bridge. It just depends on what you prefer. If you do stay in NY, I would recommend the Wanderfalls Guest House!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kona Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at Wanderfalls for 4 nights over Labor Day weekend and would have to say this is one of the best youth hostels I have stayed in. It is spotlessly clean with owners who are very helpful in planning time at Niagara falls. Carroll helped me a lot over the phone when I called before I booked, and I'm so glad I stayed here instead of on the Canadian side as I had planned.
The transportation from Buffalo airport was very inexpensive and the hostel is about 5 minutes walking to the start of the US attractions like the Aquarium and Discovery Center, where you can get the shuttle to the rest of the activities. It's only about a 10 minute walk across the Rainbow Bridge to the Canadian side, so it's easy to access from Wanderfalls location.
The beds were very comfortable, nice kitchen, and great service from the owners. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and will certainly stay there again if I can get back to the area. Thanks so much for a great visit to Niagara Falls!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Wanderfalls Guesthouse & Hostel? Share your experiences!