“Not worth it” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Willington, Connecticut
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am quite easy to please when I travel. I enjoy new places and experiences. I've stayed in many inexpensive motels that are very nice. This one is not.

I was traveling solo for this stay and decided to "wing it" by grabbing a coupon book from the NYS Thruway rest area. With the coupon, in January (decidedly the off season) my room was about $60. For that I'd expect a basic, clean room with decent furniture and decent service.

The service interaction I had was minimal; friendly if not very efficient. The room I had was a standard king room, no whirlpool, and I will agree the rooms are quite spacious. It would have been nice in all that empty space to have a table that would simultaneously hold my small laptop and the small tray with the ice bucket. But no. The table was the same size as our TV trays at home.

The bathroom was cramped because it's tucked into a corner. It was perfectly fine as far as furnishings. The door into the room left a gap at the bottom when closed so I tossed an extra pillow from the bed in front of it to stop the cold air from coming in. This was especially crucial because when I checked in the heat was off (no surprise, it's a wall unit like most motels, not expecting a pre-heated room). But the gap under the door coupled with the fairly weak wall heater meant my room was not warm the first hour I was in it -- it shouldn't take an hour to warm a motel room.

The room was clean, mostly. Again, January in upstate New York means I expect to find a little grit tracked in from the doorway from housekeeping entering the room. More upsetting is finding loose hairs in made-up bed and the tub (both of which were obviously cleaned, just... untidy).

Two things to seal the deal: game room and bed. I walked the property just to explore and poked my head in the game room, also where the vending machines are located. Literally falling apart. Vending machines inoperable, ceiling tiles missing or coming down. The optimist in me says they are remodeling for the tourist rush in the spring...
The bed, however, will prevent me from ever returning here. By far the worst, stiffest, flimsiest, most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in.

There are other inexpensive motels that do a better job than this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Etobicoke, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Obviously this is not a five star hotel. Obviously if you are paying $50-60 for a hotel room it won't be the most beautiful hotel you will ever stay at.
This hotel is close to the outlet mall- close to at least three Targets- and close to The Olive Garden. I'm Canadian- these are the things that when traveling cross border for a girls shopping trip are important to me.
The hotel staff were very nice, gave us maps and directions to anywhere we needed to get to, and was clean and comfortable.
Cheap and cheerful- I'd stay again :)

• Stayed November 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was a decent hotel- the rooms were spacious and cleaner than I expected. Our room had a mini fridge which was very useful. The bed was comfortable. It is located within 5 minutes of the outlets and within 10 minutes of the falls and casinos. There is also a casino shuttle to and from. My only problems were parking (the lot is designed ineptly, and we had to park as far as we could possibly get from our room) and the housekeeper. The housekeeper kept knocking on the door starting at 7:30 am. On a Sunday, this was really aggravating. We reported it to the desk. Overall, I'd stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Ontario's Near North, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We paid $54 plus tax at this Econolodge. Very cheap indeed. The place is clean and maintained fairly well. It's very close to the Fashion Outlet Mall and the parking lot is always full of cars from Ontario. In our room we had two queen size beds. The bathroom was quite small. The sink was in the corner of the room, not as part of the bathroom itself. The walls are fairly thin and we were disturbed around 3 a.m. by a late arriving group. Continental breakfast is included, but does not have much on offer. Coffee, orange juice, muffins, bagels and waffles.

The bottom line is this place is fine for a night considering the price.

Room Tip: Ask for room well back from the road. Rooms near the metal staircases may be get a bit noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Though it is a 10 to 15 min drive from the falls, this place is a nice bargain. Not top notch, you get rooms for what you paid.

The hotel has a nice reception where you can talk with the folks there about the place, tours etc. Lots of pamphlets and informative books in the stand on the places to visit.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We have been staying at this motel for the past three years because it's so inexpensive and since we're going shopping it's definitely a cheap stay. Although this year I must say that I was quite leary to stay here. The weekend before ours, friends had stayed here and they got bed-bugs. Yuck! I thoroughly checked our bed and room before settling in but I think next year I'll pay that little bit extra for piece of mind!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
CANTON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here in September on business. Area is mostly industrial and a little bit on the shady side. Hotel itself seemed ok. Children appeared to be enjoying the pool and play area. Room was spacious. Room cleanliness was poor. No attention to detail. Walls were in poor shape. The free trolley ride to the Falls was easy to take advantage of and was a nice way to see the Falls. After returning from my trip I felt pretty good about having gotten this opportunity and thus overall satisfied with the hotel. The next morning while eating breakfast, I saw one of the housekeepers stroll up to the area, her child in tow, flicking her cigarette but down while pulling the door open to enter through the breakfast area. The look on her face revealed the exact amount of enthusiam I imagined went into cleaning these rooms. All in all though, still not a bad deal at this point.

After arriving at the job, I was informed I would need to stay in the area again that night, so I called and booked a room again. My original room was not available and I was given one in the corner of the complex. This room proved to be even less clean and more beaten up. I did my usual inspection for bed bugs and found no traces, so I figured it would make due for the night. To my horror however, I awoke around midnight to find a bed bug crawling toward me from the adjacent pillow. i jumped up and flipped on the light and it scuttled under the pillow. I pulled up the pillow and got a good look at it, positively identifying it as a bed bug. I attempted to retrieve my camera but it ran away before I could return. I checked again and could not find it so I gathered my things and checked out. My card was not charged and the kid at the desk was apologetic and said they would check into it in the morning and if any evidence was found they would shut the room down until it was treated. I explained that they probably would not find any evidence as I did not.

The hotel may say that they did not find any evidence but just remember that unless there is a total infestation, there may not be any visual evidence. I learned this the hard way and am positive of what I saw. They can hide anywhere and if there are only a few can be difficult to detect.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge at the Falls North? Share your experiences!