“Nice little restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 155 Restaurants in Newburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Latin, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: A CHARMING LITTLE PLACE IN THE MIDDLE OF UPSTATE NEWBURGH NY OFFERS NOW A PERFECT COMBINATION OF ECLECTIC LATIN & MEDITERRANEAN DISHES AND ONE OF THE MUST DELICATE AMBIANCE IN TOWN, COME TO TASTE THE FLAVORS BLESSING FROM THE SUN, HERE IN THE PERFECT SPOT THAT WE CALL "EL SOLAR" WHICH MEANS "NUESTRA NOBLE CASA" OUR LOVELY HOUSE.
new york,
“Nice little restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Ate here with three friends- the restaurant is nicely decorated-very pleasant, has soft music playing. The service is great-everyone tries so hard always with a smile-I would go back just for the service, the food is very good, I'm not quite sure you would call it spanish but had spanish influences. I had salmon with some type of spices on it- very good. lots of dishes have avocados which I love. The menu is small but there are lots of specials, meat, fish etc, lots of sorbet and other desert choices also. All in all a very nice dinner and I would go back- the prices were very reasonable

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hudson Valley
“Surprising find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We were very surprised after we happened into this bistro on the Main Street of Newburgh.

Wonderful execution of the dishes on the sophisticated menu. The chef's use of local fresh herbs stood out and made our meals exceptional.

A great place I've returned to as often as I'm able.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I came from Argentina four weeks ago to NYC and last week I had the best experience when I meet somebody special who invite me to travel to Newburgh NY and enjoy the Hudson River views, we review restaurants around and decided dine at Solar Cafe, a little classy place with amazing service, food and music, they had that Saturday live salsa music and the best company ever, after dinning and dancing at this lovely place the only thing I can say is I had a wonderful vacation and I going to miss this place for ever in my live.... Thanks and I wish you the best guys !!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Josehern, Manager at El Solar Cafe, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Was a pleasure have you here, and we are going to miss you too, very nice to meet you.
Newburgh, New York, United States
“Don't come here if you are in a rush, waited over an hour for food for two”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I was very excited to eat at this restaurant based on reviews that I saw online both on this site and others. The atmosphere inside was very cute and romantic. What I wasnt expecting was to wait over an hour for my food. The restaurant was not very busy. It has about 12 dining tables inside and 5 were occupied. First we waited for over 15 minutes for a menu until we asked for a menu. It appeared only 4 TOTAL menus were available for the whole restaurant (which is crazy when they have 12 dining tables which can seat 4 at each table.) Then we ordered a Shirley Temple for our daughter and they made it as a sprite with cranberry juice (should have been a dead giveaway that we were in for trouble.) We then ordered our entrees and proceeded to wait, not only us but also the four other tables out of five which all had no food. We waited from 8:15 until 9:15 and still no food. No one came to our table to let us know when we would have food, or explain the delay. I guess its normal there to wait this long for food, because this is how the staff handled it. Finally I was fed up, I left $10 on the table and walked out with my family. In this day and age, it is unacceptable to wait over an hour for food. So that was my experience and I never even got to taste a bite of food, only there tortilla chips with no dipping sauce.. very disappointed.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Trinity
“Little Gem in Newburgh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Found El Solar on tripadvisor and the local rep said not to eat in that part of town. Glad I did not listen. We stopped for lunch and were a bit early 11AM, evidently they do not open until 11:30. The owner went ahead and sat us and the entire staff took care of us. Lunch meals are a great value and everyone enjoyed their food. Stop by and enjoy great service and a good meal. When you finish, don't miss the bakery next door for some sweets.

• Visited August 2013