“This place is AMAZING!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 Attractions in Newburgh
Type: Museums
New Windsor, New York
“This place is AMAZING!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I am a 60-something Suzie Homemaker type who has no interest in motorcycles whatsoever, but I do love old things. I LOVED it! Anyone would enjoy this place. It's huge and it's full of motorcycles dating back to at least 1901. And lots of other old things, too. It was so interesting! We will definitely go back, because it's impossible to take it all in in one visit.

Visited November 2011

Warwick, NY
15 attraction reviews
“Amazing Collection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

This is a new privately owned motorcycle museum on the southern border of Newburgh, NY. If you are interested in old motorcycles this is a great place to spend a few hours. First floor and a mix of old choppers, race bikes, specialty bikes and an entire room devoted to Indians, including lined up along the wall is an Indian for every year they made Indians. Great way to see the development of motorcycling. In the basement are antiques, Harley's, Police bikes, Military bikes and more.
Low price to get in but hours are limited since they are new. Check the web page for hours and directions. http://www.motorcyclepediamuseums.com/

Visited June 2011
Upstate NY
“Don't Miss It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

It's hard to believe this is in Newburgh, New York.

The museum is divided into different galleries. My favorite galleries were the Indian Motorcycle, Chopper and Police Galleries. The Indian Motorcycle Gallery has a timeline which features every Indian from 1902 to 1952. The signage for this was very informative, simple, but there was enough info. Sometimes, I end up with museum back reading the longer signs. I know these old bikes have a lot of tell, but my brain goes on overload. The chopper gallery was neat. The standouts are the replica bikes from Easy Rider, these bikes are stunning, I could picture Billy and Wyatt riding them down the highway. Tons of posters from the chopper movies of the sixties, very campy, some of the factoids were really fun. I'm somewhat a movie buff, so I liked this more than some of the choppers.

A second level exists. There are actually more bikes downstairs. I would recommend to start downstairs. My favorite gallery downstairs was the Police Gallery. It featured a bike from motorcade of President Kennedy on the day he was assassinated. It brought tears to my eyes. Also on display were many bikes from early 1900's, a replica of the first motorcycle which is made of wood, many Thors, Hendersons, Aces, Popes, Yales and Flying Merkels (I can't believe this company didn't make it with their bright orange paint, in today's bike world, it's a show stopper.). As to be expected, there are many different Harley-Davidsons models. The custom H-Ds with the lights were a lot of fun to look at, one can only imagine cruising around at night on one of those bikes. A large collection of Triumphs, a Vespa with sidecar which also looked like it would be fun to tool around town in, a Honda Cub, too many to list. It can make you dizzy to see so many bikes. I couldn't pick just one as my favorite.

There is an inside motordrome or wall of death. The man at the desk told me it was imported from Germany and a stunt rider from Germany to perform in. He pointed me to a DVD showing the performance. It looked thrilling.

It would be great if they had a cafe. I wanted to take a lunch break and go back to touring, but I decided to just leave. The museum had a vending machine with the typical packaged food and sodas. I've been to other museums which aren't as large and they have cafes. Being so close to the Culinary Institute of America, it seems like a great place for a graduate to open a cafe.

The gift shop doesn't gave too many items. I wanted to buy an Indian or Vespa t-shirt, they didn't offer anything like that. They offered a t-shirt with the museum logo. The gift shop is very nondescript. I hope it gets better.

There have a photo gallery upstairs where you can jump on a bike and take a photo which is fun for kids.

Overall, it's a wonderful addition to Newburgh. Next time you go by the old Miron Home Center stop in. It's not abandoned any longer, it's a museum of motorcycles.

Visited July 2011