“It only took me 50 years to find McKiernan's!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #81 of 162 Restaurants in New Rochelle
Cuisines: American
White Plains, New York
“It only took me 50 years to find McKiernan's!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Okay, I wasn't of drinking age when it opened, so that was misleading. But McKiernan's has been in New Rochelle - back when New Rochelle really was the Queen City of the Sound - since the 1960s.

Recently I tried, unsuccessfully for the second time, to visit the Gnarly Vine. They open at 5:00pm and I consider myself fortunate they were not open. I couldn't think where to go and happened down Lawton St. and passed McKiernan's.

It has a nice pub atmosphere, and the bartender Jessica couldn't be nicer. She made (with a little help, since it's a drink from 1934!) a perfect Sidecar and I was happy. I had chicken fingers at the bar, and they too made me happy, with great wide-cut waffle fries.

We'll be going back to McKiernan's for their burger, and if you want an unpretentious, friendly tavern, I suggest you go to McKiernan's too.

• Visited December 2012