“fun and cozy” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 156 Restaurants in New Rochelle
Cuisines: Eclectic
Good for: Romance
Description: A sophisticated wine bar with a Manhattan feel. Offering inventive small plates and a tantalizing wine menu.
new york
“fun and cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

hidden gem-great wines and fun place to meet friends for drink and cheap eats-comfy with real neighborhood feel

Visited February 2013

Zurich, Switzerland
“Best of Westchester & Rivals the Best of NYC!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We have been going to Gnarly Vine since they first opened and it's one of our top go-to places anywhere in the world - often just me and my husband after work for a couple of glasses of wine and a light dinner, but also many times with small and large groups of friends. Will, the owner-chef, is amazingly talented and a wonderful person to boot - so friendly and always a wonderful host! Love everything he makes, but our current faves are the ahi tuna tartare, always the simple salads with fresh parmesan, the sirloin burgers or regular burgers (cooked just the way you like them!), the buffalo mozzarella with tomato and basil (the cheese is so fresh and the flavor bursts in your mouth), and the spicy tomato and sausage pizza (I cover it in fresh rocket with extra spicy tomato). We try different wines all the time and they are great about letting us sample; my favorite lately is from Tuscany. The ambiance is warm and cozy, and the staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant and bathroom are super clean, and the food, wine, etc. are high quality. Call ahead to be sure they are open on holidays. You can sign up for their newsletter to take advantage of specials - great after-work specials on weekdays. We have lived in many cities around the U.S. and in Europe, and with all of our travels, give it our highest recommendation! We are so lucky to have GV in Westchester, and even better, at least for us, right in our backyard in New Rochelle!

Note to the naysayers: Okay, it may not be the least expensive place around, but that's not what it's about in the first place, and either way, it's not super expensive and the quality and experience is highly commensurate with the prices - and it's certainly less expensive than many not as nice places in NYC - and much more relaxing. Sometimes the owner-chef may be busy cooking or dealing with running the place and may not be able to jump immediately to attention when needed, but we have never had an issue with him or anyone at GV not helping us with anything we needed - even going out of their way to make special accommodations for surprises, etc. Maybe you'll even try it again to give them a second chance; I think you'll like it!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bronx, NY
“Why did I wait so long???”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

I have been walking by this place forever, & had no desire to step in because i thought it would not be up to my cleanliness standardsBoy was I wrong!! Upon stepping in, it was a nice romantic atmosphere. Clean tables, über clean silverware. The waitress was very patient while I decided what kind of wine I wanted (bringing me samples until I was satisfied) The man ordered sirloin sliders. Deeeeelish & sooo juicy & they were actually cooked medium like requested( whatever you do, Do NOT ask for french fries sooo beneath them, LOL) I had the Flat bread pizza with shrimp. First let me say that all the ingredients are super Fresh!!! We would have liked a lil more seasoning on the food but even still it was soooo good. Fresh mozzarella, sauces & oregano, good wine & our waitress was a delight! This place is a hidden gem

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Rochelle, New York
“Great little wine bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

Great little wine bar with awesome apps... Prices could be more reasonable but a very nice atmosphere!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Relaxing atmosphere for wine and appetizers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011 via mobile

It's a nice place to come with a small group of people to relax and chat o er wine and munchies. Wine selection is pretty good and staff is knowledgable. It's about $10 per glass on average. The food is really good; however the portions are small and relatively expensive. I believe it was $22 for 6 pieces of cheese. $9 for a very small portion of quesedillas; however I have tried both kinds and they were very good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere