“Disconnect from your digital world to fully enjoy this iconic landmark!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mohonk Mountain House

Special Offer
December Delight Package
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Long Island, NY
“Disconnect from your digital world to fully enjoy this iconic landmark!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We have traveled the world and have stayed at a myriad of 5 star properties worldwide. Yet despite the fact that the Mohonk Mountain House is celebrating its' 145th year of operation
it has lost none of its' charm and vitality (and importance).

We have hiked the property in the past on day trips, but our visit this past weekend was the first time we actually stayed the night in a Lakeside Room.

We are very picky travelers, and we like to think we have sophisticated palates as well, and the MMH exceeded our expectations and then some.

All our meals were excellent, the dinner we had was particularly impressive. we would recommend that dinner guests opt for the Ala Carte Dinner as opposed to a buffet-style dinner.

5 star hotels worldwide that we've frequented could take a serious lesson from the level of service in every category that MMH exhibited and carried out.

Their staff is so well trained, gregarious and just know how to handle guests with both respect
and what feels like true caring. The staff to guest ratio was staggeringly high.

The grounds, the trails, the Lake, the views, all beyond stunning. So much to do here - so little time. TV - not in any rooms but one - THE TV Room ! We never stopped there. We loved that ! The no-TV in room policy forces guests to roam and have adventures.

On our day of departure we took a small hike with Michael, a naturalist (on staff) who really seems to not only know his stuff, but he showed us all sorts of things we never knew about trees, birds and bugs. He was a highlight of our visit.

Our time at Mohonk Mountain House was like stepping back in time when people who came to this amazing place enjoyed the simpler things and really knew how to maximize their experiences and enjoyed true hospitality.

What an awesome visit we had.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms with balconies are the way to go, but views form just about any side of the hotel can...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
berkeley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I suppose that if your family has been going to this place for generations, they will love being in the exact same facility. Your kids won't. There are no televisions in the rooms. The view is spectacular, if that's enough for you. There is magnificent hiking nearby and on the grounds. But hiking would be just as good if you stayed at a place for a fraction of the price. Maybe your room would have a television, furniture without peeling varnish, and carpet that wasn't made when you went to college. Room service was awkward since there was no table or any place to put down a tray. Since you're trapped in a facility with limited facilities, maybe it's a good thing you are forced to pay for meals. The foot ranges from good to awful. It's surprising that some things seemed untasted by the chef, and were undercooked, or massively overcooked. There was kid food at lunch and dinner such as chicken strips and tater tots. Desserts were uniformly great. Luggage taken from my car took 3 telephone calls and 90 minutes to make it to my room. The following day, an advance call to the valet seemed of little value with a 40 minute wait for my car--with no one else waiting. There is wifi, and it worked well enough.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I've been to Mohonk many times, am picky, and have never been let down. I graduated from the outstanding kids club (which allowed my parents a carefree escape and took me on hikes and bike rides when I was old enough, and had a great play room before I was), teen club (where I met friends over Texas Holdem), and now go up with my family as a young adult.

A trip breaks the bank. We only stay one night now, and go up very early in the morning the first day, and stay until dark on the second. There are specials on their website, but I've never found them to be particularly affordable. Like their facebook page- every 5,000 likes they offer a 24 hour flash sale that's reliably 40% off certain days. But do it, it's worth it. The service there is incredible. We once saw 8 men hand polishing the grand stair case.

A few tid bits:

There are two formal dining halls to choose from (all food's included), and an outdoor buffet open during the summer that overlooks the lake. The one downstairs is as nice as the nicest restaurant in your town, and you can try everything.

The lemon squeeze and rock scramble is a great day hike with an outstanding view. Kids can do it, and adults. There are a number of other hikes in the area. They'll give you a map.

The spa is nice, and about ten years old now. The indoor pool has underwater speakers!

There's a lot more to do in the summer, if you ask me. And if you like being outdoors, I'd always pick summer over winter.

Overall, Mohonk is a real getaway. They've put a lot of thought into how to modernize and maintain their tranquility. There's a computer lab, I'm not sure if there is wifi in the rooms, or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't. It's a place to go and truly escape. Let yourself, you're paying for it.

Room Tip: I've always enjoyed rooms on the lake, but mountain view rooms allow you to watch the sunset. Vi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I recently spent a weekend at MMH with a friend. Call me crazy, but I expected far more for $650 a night!

PROS: MMH is very convenient to NYC. The exterior of the lodge is beautiful, as are the grounds. We had two lovely hikes in the area. Our room was nice--traditional yet bright.

BIG CONS: The common areas were dark and in serious need of an update. More important, the service was consistently off. Lots of blank looks. At the fitness center, a staffer gave us the most confusing, conflicting information when we tried to sign up for a class. At dinner, someone showed my friend to the ladies' room with the exclamation, "Enjoy!" (What??)

The hotel makes a big show of being friendly to people with special dietary restrictions, but is not. At the buffet lunch, they label foods very confusingly ("vegetarian and gluten" means it's vegetarian-friendly but contains gluten. Again, what???) Only one out of a dozen desserts was gluten-free at all. And one dish was mislabeled-which could have been a disaster for someone with celiac disease. (This lunch, by the way, costs more than $40 if you add an extra meal onto your stay. Totally overpriced)

Online, MMH has a whole gluten-free dinner menu. Wow! Too bad they don't have one in the dining room. Meanwhile, our server had zero clue what on the menu was suitable or not. We had to have an extended and also weird conversation about it, during which he would suggest things like, um, bread.

The spa is very attractive, as is the pool. My massage was fine, not great. And oh yeah--when I went in, the masseuse asked if I had any problem areas I wanted to focus on. When I said no, she glared and said it made it hard for her to select an aromatherapy scent.

Overall, it didn't deliver, and I don't think I will return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Sea Cliff, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My daughter and I spent three days at the beautiful Mohone Mountain Resort earlier this May. The service was excellent, especially in the dining room where any request was taken care of within seconds. The food was very good, with an excellent variety and many healthy choices. Everything was labled, so you could see what was gluten free, vegan, etc. We had a table for two at every meal that was by a window with a great view.
Our room was lovely and had a blacony with rocking chairs. Each floor has many private-type and comfy seating areas along with very interesting photos and objects of interest.
The grounds are spectacular. Many miles of hiking trails, a beautiful lake (with free usage of paddleboats, kyaks and rowboats).
The indoor pool was very nice (heated to 84 degrees) as was the exercise studio where I took a Zumba and stretch/tone class (also included in the price).
Afternoon tea and cookies was a nice added addition and was very relaxing.
We went to an evening entertainment one night - a local writer reading his amusing published works on marriage and kids. Fun!
Though the stay was pricey ($509 per night plus gratuity and taxes) - it was certainly worth it! We had a wonderful time!

Room Tip: All rooms have their own balcony with rocking chairs. Since it is a long building, ask for a room c...
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We have been coming to Mohonk for the last 5 years with our family. Our choices were to buy a second home in the mountains or on the beach or to come here.

Our family has been able to grow here. Our youngest was 18 months the first time we came here. The kid's club and babysitting options were fantastic. It gave us the flexibility to hike/spa/golf and have him cared for. Our second child was always iffy about hiking and it gave her a choice of kids club or hiking with us over the last 5 years. This year, our whole crew (family of 5) hiked, golfed, spa'd, swam in the lake and in the indoor swimming pool, played tennis, caught newts, practiced piano, fished, rowed boats, fed the fish, enjoyed the campout and the lobster bake, etc. and we still haven't been able to get to the biking part of the resort yet.

Not once did I have to worry about cooking and feeding my family, cleaning the the grill, taking out the garbage, a burst pipe, the gutters or dealing with maintenance people, and/or deciding if I wanted to invite another family so the children had friends to entertain them.

The electronics come out one time in the day, after showers and before dinner and that was it. We had great conversations and learned more about our children than we could have if I had to work at cleaning/cooking all the time or had to manage staff to help me with it. It was marvelous that my husband and I were able to watch our children interact with each other and with other children at the lake.

We made the right decision.

This place is not about the newest carpet or the biggest bathroom. We have all that in that in the NYC. For us, this place is about our family.

We thank you Mohonk for recognizing and underlining the importance of ephemeral quality family time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear mjcnnyc,

Thank you so very much for your lovely feedback. We're delighted that you and your family have come to think of our House as your House! It is wonderful to hear about the time shared together that you've all enjoyed on our mountaintop over the years.

We look forward to welcoming you for years to come!

Katie Martello

Assistant Director of Marketing
Mohonk Mountain House
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Over two decades of annual visits in summer at Mohonk, first without kids and later with them, we enjoy the expansive grounds and timeless spell. Despite the very high fees, the loving trust, serene beauty and natural calm found here, Mohonk will transform you. Kids Club in summer will delight the kids under the age of 13. Staying at the four cabins or in the main house, the life at Mohonk is hiking, horseback riding, tennis, swimming, canoeing on the lake, reading on the lake dockside. No TVs in the rooms, no tipping, nothing too electronic in this Victorian time machine. The chic spa installation isn't thoroughly incongruous but somehow fits in. If you hike to Sky Top you made a wise pilgrimage and if you meet an old friend in the colossal dining room, it has to be kismet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!