“Wonderful family getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in New Paltz
Yardley, Pennsylvania, United States
“Wonderful family getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

They have an impressive variety of activities and guided programs. There was something to keep every family member happy and busy! The dining services are excellent; the wait staff is attentive, efficient and friendly. The food is delicious and they have a wide array of alternatives (gluten free, vegan, Kosher, etc). Our overall experience was delightful and we are looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed July 2013

1,154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

this hotel sits in the midst of one of the most beautiful locations in New York. Mountains, woods (great trails), lake, traditional games like shuffle board, lawn bowling, tennis, swimming and hiking make it seem like "camp". The food is average at best, but we went to the "cookout" most of the time...can't go wrong with lobster, shrimp. ribs, salads etc. There is a great gift shop that has all different snacks , drinks coffee etc. The rooms are a bit old and outdated but very functional....try and get one with a balcony. Manage your expectations for a nature getaway and not luxury living and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

First, I must say the Mohonk House should not be missed if you like old, historic, beautiful and outdoorsy places. This trip in July was my third visit and the first with my children. Kids love to run down the wide hallways ( in the late 19th century, people used Steamer Trunks) and explore both the hotel and the extensive grounds. You can swim, fish and boat in the private Mohonk Lake.
The only off-note was the service. They brought in a no-tipping, 13% gratuity added policy, which in my opinion creates a 21st Century blandness and equality of result that all but guarentees mediocre service at best. No matter how bad the service, staff receives their 13%. Valets linger aroungd your car without taking it, wait staff bring the wrong item without apologizing and everone makes you wait. Mohonk - bring back all the 19th Century experience.

Room Tip: The rooms that overloook the lake are best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I went here last year so my memories are not that fresh, however, I recall that it was quite nice. I do not recall having any complaints....food and service in the restaurant were okay. The grounds and hotel are beautiful and the room was fine. The only problem I had was the long walk to the dining area and spa. The lake was the nicest part of the stay. The water was clean and cool and there was room to swim. I really liked the lake! I would return here, but would make sure to get a room close to the dining area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Mohonk, after having been there once, 20 years earlier. I remember from our first visit that it was a beautiful, peaceful place, with delicious food, comfortable rooms with beautiful views and very good service. This time I found all the same things to be true, but we had the added benefit of an awesome spa and beautiful indoor pool ( where I swam laps each morning). I also enjoyed a delightful facial and my husband and I both took yoga and meditation classes, which we really enjoyed. I also took advantage of the opportunity to have a private meditation session with Dr. Nina Smiley (one of the members of the Smiley family that owns and operates Mohonk). The session was amazing--just being in Nina's very peaceful presence was very calming, and I found her teaching very accessible and practical. Meditation is something I have always wanted to do, and now, for the first time, I feel it is truly available to me. That alone made our whole trip worthwhile, but the entire experience was the perfect respite from the city. I will certainly come again, and long before another 20 years.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jermyn, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

It was a pricy stay but we loved it .My husband went crazy without his tv to watch .But we found the pool table. so we loved the grounds and took the horseback ride and we ate the great dinner and nice breakfast

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Well the the price to stay for the night or go for the day. I suggest you go for brunch (Sunday) or lunch you get to drive to the top saving energy for the hiking trails. On the ride up to the "House" are amazing views. Once you reach the top and the trees subside you get a breathtaking view of one of Americas castles...Mohonk Mountain House.
My husband and I got married here last year and now come to celebrate our anniversary. The gardens are always lovely and the lake is tranquil. There are so many different hiking trails to experience you'll never get bored.
The rooms are small Victorian style decor. Ours had a view of the lake that was well worth the price. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!