“Disappointing experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Warwick, New York
“Disappointing experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed over the Mother's Day weekend for some rest and relaxation. As a fairly well -traveled couple for leisure and business, I felt that the Mohonk House was extremely overpriced. For the same price, we could have easily spent the weekend in NYC. The Mohonk House is a registered as a National Historic Landmark site . That being said, the hotel is very old ( the original part of the hotel was built in the 1890's) and musty......definitely not a luxurious experience. Our small, outdated room was a Victorian King with a fireplace and balcony. Luckily, we were able to keep the balcony door open so that we could get the musty, smokey smell out and breathe some fresh air. The bed was very soft and lumpy. I booked myself for an 80 minute massage at the spa. For almost $200 , I would have expected an outstanding massage which was only mediocre at best. Prior to the spa appointment, I completed a form on which I indicated that I had a serious spinal injury and surgery which included a fusion. It was evident that the massage therapist NEVER read the form since she asked if I ever had any injuries or surgeries. It was very difficult to relax and enjoy the massage after that. Furthermore, I expected to lay on a nice, warm massage table. Instead, the table was cold, and the therapist seemed annoyed when I asked if it was heated. Honestly, no one should have to ask for something that is expected. She also seemed annoyed that I refused to remove my diamond bracelet. Without permission, she removed my anklet. Unfortunately, I forgot that it was removed and I left it in the room after the massage. I never saw it again. The personnel at the Mohonk Spa should book a spa weekend at Hotel Hershey and learn what a truely magnificent spa experience is all about. The meals were quite good, and we especially enjoyed our server, Emilio who kept us quite entertained! The beauty and splendor of this establisment lies outdoors with the beautiful grounds, hiking trails and lake. Unfortunately, it rained a good part of the time we were there and could not fully take advantage of everything the Mohonk House has to offer. The Mohonk House is located in a superb setting but you will be paying TOP dollar for a glorifed summer camp experience.

Room Tip: Book a refurbished room, lake side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MohonkMountainHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Laura,

On behalf of Mohonk Mountain House, please accept my apology for your disappointing stay at our resort over Mother's Day weekend.

We strive to ensure that our guests experience the best visit possible during their travels and I'm sorry that we fell short of our goal this time. We take every complaint seriously and I hope that you will contact me personally at bmoran@mohonk.com or 845.256.2149 to discuss this further.

Brian Moran
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is an old hotel which has been renovating the rooms. Unfortunately I stayed in an old bedroom. But the hotel is located in a very nice mountain with a gorgeous lake. They have lots of activities for kids as well. The food was amazing! Great breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets! If you want to dine out you could go to New Paltz (I suggest Hokkaido). I also suggest to go during the foliage!

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Westchester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our family of five (11, 7, 6) stayed over the weekend and will be returning, mainly because our sons are already planning the trip. It was the second visit for my wife and I, the first before kids in the late '90's. There have been some very worthwhile upgrades in the bar and pool/spa since then. I was a bit concerned that the no TV/older feel of the place would turn the boys off but the opposite was true. They adored it. They liked the quirky layout and uneven floors, the smell of the wood fires in the lake lounge, the koi, the porch and the kids club in particular. They would have spent the entire day both days there if they could. The adults enjoyed some of the same things but also the little wooden structures all over the property, the great wifi as well.

There are some notes that I would pass on. The rooms reflect their vintage in the sense that they are smaller and oddly laid out relative to modern hotels. We had a two bedroom suite and it was tight for the five of us. The hot tub is only accessible by spa appointment. This was a big disappointment for the boys. It appears that lots of people come up for the day so the place can feel mobbed when the free cookies hit the table. We were there for Mother's Day so perhaps it was unusually bad. The food that had been a highlight of our first visit was very ordinary. It is a cafeteria.

I only had one serious complaint; the staff is very nice but aren't really pros. This is most evident in the dining room where long waits for food to be delivered were typical and you had to ask to have the dirty dishes removed from the table. The wait staff didn't seem organized.

All that being said I would recommend it to anyone and will be returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Poughquag, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Visited the Spa on Monday May 6th to enjoy a relaxing day before my stepdaughter gets married. Thank you to Diane West of Spa Services who helped put our day package together for us. Our group consisted of my stepdaughter, her mom, mom-in law, grandma, sister and myself. We each enjoyed facials or massages. They were wonderful and very relaxing. We totally enjoyed our services and sitting by the mineral pool. Our lunch in the carriage lounge was very good. We shared one chocolate lava cake. Just enough for each to enjoy a spoonful and not feel guilty! The grounds are always beautiful. This time of year flowers and trees are just starting to bloom. Took the hike up to the Tower and were back in time for 4:00 tea and cookies in the Lake Lounge. A Great Way to escape for a day, relax and enjoy nature at its best.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend. Had a great time walking the trails around the resort. The highlight was the spa. It is an entirely relaxing experience. You can enjoy a spa treatment and then relax in the mineral pool. Great place to relax and unwind.

• Stayed March 2013
new york, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have been going to Mohonk for years, for many occasions, even day trips to the Spa. Just an hour from Westchester County and you are in the mountains surrounded by beauty and quiet.
There is not doubt that stays here are expensive but with everything (mostly) included and arriving early and leaving late, you can fit a lot of enjoyment in a small stay. Off seasons are wonderful because it's quieter. Aside from the the obvious woods and gardens and miles of hiking, there is the heated pool and all the spa has to offer. Created as a school, then retreat by Quakers who also supported Native American and Woman's rights, it has a peaceful, spiritual history and feeling that still remains today. Lots of activities, no electronics needed. Great off the grid time for refreshment.

Room Tip: Victorian rooms have fireplaces! Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
new york, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Mohonk Mountain House is a throwback to old school resorts but with some modern amenities that have recently been added. Set atop a mountain, the views last forever. There's plenty to do in and outside of the house - hiking, golf, swimming/boating in the lake, spa, etc. The spa was recently added and is regarded as one of the top resort spas in the US. Rooms are mixed - some are spacious while others feel cramped, but thankfully air conditioning has finally been added in all rooms. Wifi was also a recent addition. TVs are not in rooms, but available upon request. Rooms are expensive, but they include 3 meals plus afternoon tea and many of the amenities so you need to factor that into the cost when comparing to other options. Overall, it has a lot of charm and you may not realize you are less than 2 hours from midtown Manhattan.

Room Tip: I prefer the views from the lakeside rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!