“Favorite place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Tarrytown, New York, United States
“Favorite place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family has been going to Mohonk my entire life. It is the most beautiful, restful, majestic resort. The staff are so kind and helpful, the food is delicious, and the setting-- it's breathtaking. Great activities such as hiking, swimming, yoga, golf. Truly my favorite place on earth.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Excellent locale for a family reunion etc, with great activities like hiking and ice staking (or swimming in summer). Buffet style all inclusive food is very generous with great variety, and plentiful items like clams, shrimp, prime rib, leg of lamb etc - really no skimping. Rooms are very big as well, though i'd recommend that the hotel consider including a coffee/tea kettle in rooms for convenience, especially as some rooms are very far from the restaurant/coffee room area. Also more accessible outlets would be helpful, as everyone inevitably needs 2-3 to charge their gizmos. The soaps in the room are sub-standard -- hotel brand - and the menthol body soap stings. You only get access to the great outdoor hot tub if you purchase a (pricey!) spa service, but it is a very nice luxury experience. Great spacious gym with all the amenities. Lovely child activities where you can drop the kids off. Dancing and music. Very family friendly. But what's really special about this place is the amazing grounds, views, and history...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I love this place so much I hesitate on reviewing it- I don't want to share.

I am an adventure traveler. I take buses across Nicaragua, trains into non-english speaking China, and camel rides through the Sahara. I do not ride tourbuses. I do not stay at resorts.

Mohonk is the resort for the non-resort goer. It is a house- this is how the people who work there (who all love the place, its history and its vibe)- not a hotel, not a resort. It is like being wrapped in a warm blanket. A warm blanket of fun guide led hikes, tours, amazing food, great views and more relaxation than I have felt since I was a 12 year old running around with no burdens but my Chemistry homework on my shoulders. I am in love. I didn't have to think of anything, but I never felt pretentious for it. It is like staying at a good friend's house, but never feeling like you are putting them out. I got to focus on being in love with my husband, never on details or planning.

When you add up all of that, the apparent expense falls away, and it is a great deal for an amazing place.

If you go and ruin it with unruly children, cell phones, or snobbery of any kind, I will find you and I will haunt you.

Room Tip: I loved the balcony. Next time I'm shooting for a fireplace.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

If you have never been to Mohonk - make reservations for an upcoming special event. It is a very special place - from the beautiful setting, to the amazing structure, to the gardens, to the talented and professional staff. Visit the entire resort, take advantage of the nature walks with Michael (very good), yoga, meditation, and the other activities. My son and his friend went to the outdoor ice skating rink which is absolutely beautiful. The Kids Club was great and is nice to give parent's a break. The fireplaces all around the hotel are wonderful on a chilly afternoon. The rooms have wonderful views. The meals and activities are all included - loved Debra the Dining Room Captain - she really went out of her way to make a special soup for my son and brought him other treats went he wasn't feeling well.

AND...it also just was ranked in the #1 spa in the country by Conde Nast magazine. Would definitely recommend just getting the day pass if you can't splurge on a spa treatment.

Yes, it is pricey - there is the sticker shock when you get the bill, but think of what it costs to upkeep a resort of the size, all the meals, activities, etc.,

This was my second trip to Mohonk and I would definitely recommend a visit and my son said when we were leaving, we have to come back here again soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This resort is located a picture perfect setting. Food is very good-to-great (depending on who is cooking), the in-grounds are great, and the available hiking trails are awesome. Especially way up around the lake...
As a repeat NYS customer I also learned the negatives about this amazing place:
- Very expensive (even with their mid-week "specials". Prices are per person per night.
- Resort fee. Whether you play golf, tennis, etc. you will pay an additional resort fee.
- NYS hotel taxes are high.
Overall, this place is worth spending your extra dollars.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

First time at Mohonk, and based on our experience I expect we will be back. From the moment we arrived we were impressed with the service. I have seen a couple of other reviews that are mixed regarding the service and have to say that for us it was one of the highlights of the trip. Upon arrival - several hours before checkin - we were welcomed warmly and told our luggage could be stored while we took advantage of some of the activities around the property. After snowshoeing we needed different jackets and the bellhop staff was very accommodating, letting us get into our luggage and grab some things, patiently waiting while my kids got their electronics.

Staff at each activity were very helpful, teaching my kids the basics in cross-country skiing, helping us with a problem ice skate, showing us how to do the bindings on the snowshoes. Nice folks at the nightly kids movie, fantastic staff at dinner who rooted through the dirty linens looking for a lost cellphone (we thought we might have left it on the dinner table - ended up later being found near one of the many fireplaces and an observant desk clerk saw us walking by and identified us from the lock screen picture on the phone!), housekeeping staff who quickly came and made a pullout bed that had been overlooked, waiter who sold me on the Macallan Flower cocktail which was great.

Facilities are fantastic, our room was very clean. From our stay there appears to be an army of people on staff, which is how they keep it running so well. Might add to the price a little, but the alternative would not be anywhere as near as nice.

In terms of negatives, only a couple small things. The all-inclusive nature of the resort is great in that the activities are all part of the package, but the food is as well. We aren't buffet fanatics, so it would be great if the food could be separated from the prix fixe aspect of the program - just our personal preference. The second small quibble is that the arrival/departure area gets very crowded at checkout, and the process seemed to bog down a bit. Suggest avoiding leaving right at checkout time.

Kids are already asking about going back next winter!

Room Tip: Pick floor 3 or higher to avoid foot traffic headed for dinner or spa
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New Windsor, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Maybe not for everyone, but it really is a special place. My wife and I went away for a spontaneous getaway to celebrate our 19 yr anniversary. We could not have picked a better place and it will be hard to top our experience when we reach 20, next year, and look to do something even more special. Rich in history and preservation, it's like going back in time.
*The staff were smiling and wonderful/The room was detailed and clean/The property and architecture speak for itself/The food is really good/Pricey for a stay? Yes, but it is an all inclusive
Anyone who killed this place in recent reviews, I'm convinced, would have rough time being pleased anywhere. We did not use the Spa services but were treated kindly when we went and asked for the services menu to review.
Thanks MMH for a memorable, magical escape from it all.

Room Tip: Lakeside view is real nice but the awesome sunsets are on the opposite, mountain view side so you ca...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!