“Not worth the money!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New York City, New York
“Not worth the money!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My daughter and I came up from SC to stay for the week. We got in about 1pm and were told the room was not ready yet. (But there were no cars in the parking lot) Came back at 3:30 room was ready but had to wait 10 min. for the woman to answer the front desk. She was very rude like we had bothered her. The room was clean but we were finding bugs on te windows and walls. My daughter thinks they were stink bugs. She poured a glass of soda and went to drink it and found a bug taking a drink first! Showers were hot but the water was a dingey yellow. If you look at the pictures someone posted from a year ago you will find I am posting almost the same ones but my own. I too stayed in room 208. The samelampshade is still there and broke, the wallshave never been painted after removing pictures and the metal bar is sticking out from the left side of he bed. We took our garbage out each morning to the garbage pail outside our door, the last day we were there it still had not been emptied. The toilet stopped up every morning. So it was easier to go buy a plunger and leave it there. We only requested housekeeping twice because it was a shady place and trust was not in the picture. Housekeeping did do a good job when they came. Will not ever come back to this place...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New Rochelle, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed in the New Paltz Econolodge for one night. The room was very basic, not the worst I've ever stayed in but not much better. The worst part of the whole thing was that the continental breakfast which was supposed to be served from 6:30 to 10:00 am was NON-EXISTENT...not even a cup of coffee. At 8:20am, I was getting very upset and tired of waiting (there was no coffee maker in the room with the standard packets). I rang the bell for assistance and a very hung-over and unkempt woman came to the desk apologizing for oversleeping after a late night. She offered to make coffee at that point, but I was already very upset and had to be leaving. I have never, never, never been to a motel that promises free breakfast and found NOTHING even at 8:30 am. This was unforgivable and the height of unprofessional service. I would NEVER stay at this place again...even if it was the only room in town. I'd rather drive 15 minutes north to Kingston where there are several decent hotels. HORRIBLE!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The room was obviously recently renovated, and it was very clean, although the rug was torn and old. However, there was an overwhelming odor like moth balls that drove us away. We booked for two nights, but after our return from the Festival, we sat in the room and decided to drive home rather than put up with the odor another night.

Two other major issues: The mattress was just awful. You could feel every spring. It had almost no padding on the top. And the room was on the second floor, but the stairs were outdoors and covered with badly torn carpet. It was dangerous. If you can, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Wilmington, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed at this hotel Saturday June 16th into the 17th; from check in to check out the hotel was a nightmare! Finding the front desk is a feat in its own. You have to decipher the difference between the entrance of her home (attached to the hotel) and the actual hotel. After finally finding the front desk the woman was on the telephone offering an hourly rate for the hotel; later found out that a seedy strip club is located right next door and many of the "dancers" stay in this hotel. After arguing with the woman about various policies and such we finally got a dirty room key envelope that looked like it had been used 14 times over.
After keying our room (208) I literally had to slam my body into the door to open it. It smelled like dirty, moldy towels...please take a peak at the photos I am attaching of our 'lovely' room. We decided that the lovely pool we saw online would be an oasis from our disgusting room so we put on our suits and headed across the parking lot. A topless woman was swimming along with the owners children who live there and probably use the pool as their playground. As we approached, the smell of fertilizer and bad chlorine was overwhelming. I run a pool facility and when you can smell the chlorine at that level it means that the sanitizer in the chlorine has been used up. Needless to say we did NOT get in that water however, the pool deck area had a nice view of the strip club! (EW!)
We brought blankets in from our car and slept on top of the bed for fear of fleas or some sort of skin disease that we would most certainly obtain by sleeping under the sheets. The next morning while packing up my car I went to get back into my room and the room key was dead. I went to the front desk to fix it and was greeted by a sign saying "back in 60 mins". For the next hour I sat by my car waiting for the owner to come back. The housekeepers refused to help me; my dress for the wedding I was attending was left in there and it was the last thing I needed before heading off to our next destination. I could not believe that the owner would leave her facility completely unattended for an HOUR! When she finally arrived with her entire family and groceries in tow she didnt even acknowledge that I was waiting and took her sweet time getting me new keys. She tried taking my key card envelope, probably so she could use it again but I told her I was sending it to corporate. She muttered something in another language as I walked out; rude, NASTY woman.
BEWARE!! You may be solicited in this parking lot. I hope this hotel gets shut down as soon as possible
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We felt completely ripped off. We had a coupon for $49.99 but upon arrival were told that they only have a "very few" rooms at that price and were charged $89.99. The room was no where near worth the price. The bathroom was newly renovated but there was no hair dryer and the rest of the room smelled like a dirty toilet. In fact, the room was bare bones...not even a clock radio. We don't mind paying but this was way overpriced.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

If this hotel was in the $60 to $80 range I would not give it such a bad review, I wouldn't give it a great one either. There was a huge stain on the carpet. The TV had to be from the 80's. The toilet felt like it was about to come out of the wall. Unfortunately you don't have much of a choice when it comes to the New Paltz area. All the hotels are equally overpriced and from what I understand they are in worse shape than this hotel. The next time I go to New Paltz I think I am going to try one of the bed and breakfast places. The one positive thing about this hotel is good water pressure and hot water for the shower.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

There were FLEAS in the bed.
The rooms are dirty and tiny.
The staff is rude and may or may not honor your booked rate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!