“Terrible night sleep” 2 of 5 stars
Review of 87 Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Paltz
87 Motel
You added 87 Motel to your Saves list
403 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New york
“Terrible night sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

I want to preface this and say that I knew that going to a motel, I wasn't expecting anything beyond basic (clean bed, bathroom), but no fancy amenities. When I arrived late on friday night, I was pleased that the room we requested met at least those basic requirements and plus, there was a TV,mini fridge and even shampoo/conditioner and soap, which wasn't part of my requirements. We arrived around 10:30 PM and went to sleep. At 2 AM, my husband and I both woke up and we could hear our next door neighbors loudly laughing and having what looked like a late night in depth conversation about cats. After 30 minutes of listening to every word, my husband finally got up, left out room and walked next door and knocked. He politely asked them to keep it down since we could hear everything they were saying. He told me when he got back that the neighbors were in their mid-30's (like us) and appeared to be a bit out of it (aka: looking like they were smoking some pot?, which could explain their silly conversation and constant laughing). They did agree to quiet it down, and after 30 min to one hour, we were able to fall back asleep. I think that since the motel walls are quite thin and actually the dividing walls have a small connecting door, any sounds carry through quite easily, so if one's neighbor decides to have a middle of the night party, well, you will hear it, even if they don't mean to.
My husband and I woke up the next morning tired, but after speaking to the front desk clerk after breakfast, she told me our neighbors would be checking out. We told her about our nights event, and she told us that if we had another event like this, where our neighbors were loud, to call the front desk at night. We both hoped and crossed our fingers that our neighbors for the following night would be an elderly couple in their 60's (we saw a few older people in the lobby for breakfast, so we thought it could happen).
That night (saturday) we went back to sleep at 11:30 PM and again at 2 AM we woke up to the sounds of our new next door neighbors strumming their guitar, singing, loudly talking. After listening to this again for 30 minutes, my husband went next door and politely asked if they could stop playing since we could hear them through the walls. One of the guys (mid 50's) looked puzzled and said "oh , but we just got here!". I guess we were putting a damper on their party. Anyway, my husband came back and we could still hear them drumming the guitar and loudly talking. So we followed what the clerk told us on sat morning and call the front desk. We could hear the phone ringing and conversation (as the wall is quite thin), and after a few seconds an expletive "[-]! (you can fill in the gap). We were finally able to fall back asleep around 3 AM. So needless to say, two straight nights of interrupted sleep wasn't very good. We complained the next morning to the manager when we were checking out and he apologized and offered us a 30 dollar refund. He told me he was puzzled as the clerk on saturday night did not record us calling the front desk for help, but he told me still he believed our story.
I do not fault the manager for what happened, but just wanted to warn that unless you can predict than your next door neighbors want to sleep between 11 -6 AM, you may also not get a good sleep. It is just the nature of the motel as the walls are quite thin and the beds are located against the part of the wall that has a connecting door between rooms. If you have a quiet neighbor, you will likely be able to get some sleep. If unfortunately, you are like us, and have the bad luck of happening two noisy neighbors on two separate nights, you won't. In the future, I would say, it is best to spend your money in a place that can guarantee you a quiet night's sleep if that is what you are looking for.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Our room was clean, comfortable, and had the promised wi-fi access. The location is fine...a 5 minute ride to town. A good home base for hiking at Mohonk Preserve and exploring the town. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

The accommodation is very basic but clean and located well. Rooms have fridges but are lacking hairdryers, alarm clocks, coffee machines.
The breakfast is very basic too so we opted out and went for a full breakfast in the Genesis restaurant that is in the next building.
Overall the experience was positive and we will stay again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

A bit dated, but clean, quiet and comfortable. Over the years we've stayed in three motels in New Paltz, and so far this is the best.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
abamarmae
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

I was a little nervous when i first saw the place, but it actually wasn't bad at all. Customer service was good, the housekeepers were friendly, and I didn't have any issues with any type of bugs. 87 Motel is getting my repeat business. I will be back there this month (April) and I have also recommended it to family that I have flying into town and they are also going to be staying there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

Clean, neat and comfortable room, free wifi access and mini fridge, abundant continental breakfast choice, such as bagels, English muffins, cereals, orange juice, coffee and tea, friendly and swift check-in, competitive price, totally exceed your expectations of a motel. It is located only a few minutes from Thruway exit 18, walking distance to a restaurant a convenience store, you simply cannot find a better value in and out of New Paltz.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

Usually camp out when traveling to climb up in the 'Gunks. Got in way too late to pitch a tent, so we got a room at the "87 Motel." Only major complaint was constant itching - bedbugs? If we had been thinking more clearly, we would have rolled out our sleeping bags on top of the beds.

Definitely a down on its heels kinda place, so just be prepared. The rooms are relatively clean, bathrooms have great old school shower heads, and there are working window AC units (good for white noise, too). Breakfast is a joke, so just head into New Paltz for real coffee and sustenance.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Manager87, Manager at 87 Motel, responded to this review, October 21, 2009
We apologize for any inconvenience you had during your stay with us. However, we can assure you that we do not have any problem with bedbugs or other pests. Our rooms are thoroughly cleaned by our housekeepers, and our establishment is inspected and sprayed once a month by Hudson Valley Pest Control, who are also on call at all times if there is any issue at the property. Any pest reports are taken very seriously, and we immediately respond to those reports. Bedbugs have never been found on our property.

Our rooms are being updated at this time, and many have already undergone extensive renovations.

Our free continental breakfast includes bagels, English muffins, cereal, coffee, tea and juice.

Been to 87 Motel? Share your experiences!