“I've seen a lot of restaurants in this building...” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Reservations
New Paltz, New York
“I've seen a lot of restaurants in this building...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

...but this one was by far the worst.

It is VERY pretentious. The atmosphere was nice, the waitress was competent if snooty, the menu sounded GREAT - but oh my God, was it terrible.

We started out with a beet salad. That was nice. That and the super-romantic ambiance were the only things that were worthwhile.

I ordered one of the night's specials - goat cheese ravioli with lemon sauce and ginger crumbles. The ginger crumbles were cookie crumbs!!! In a creamy lemon sauce! On salty, kind of anemic goat cheese ravioli! I was SO ready for something wonderful, and "wonderful" is exactly what it wasn't.

The waitress asked how the food was, I told her plainly that it was terrible. She defended it, as if somehow my taste were at fault.

I love good food. I love good restaurants. I will travel great distances for them. This, however, was neither - but it sure as hell thinks it is. It appears to be one of those places where the hype convinces patrons that what they're eating is exceptional.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Finest dining in the area by far!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

When my wife and I want a fabulous meal in the Hudson Valley, there is only one place for us: A Tavola. True, it's pricier than many places in the area, but it is in another culinary league altogether. We have never been disappointed with the food or the hospitality. Fresh house made breads, biscotti and gelato are superb. Drinks are interesting and include excellent mocktails (just ask!). And he food is the very definition of farm to table freshness. The sweet potato gnocchi with wild boar ragu is a new favorite while my wife cannot resist the parchment baked Bronzino stuffed with baccala and leeks. You will not be disappointed!

• Visited November 2012
Highland, New York
“The squid ink pasta was deliciously briny and the gnocchi were light as pillows. Excellent as always.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I found ourselves sans kids so last minute we decided to go to A Tavola. Not our first trip to A Tavola so we tried with no reservations. We got there at 6 pm right after opening time. Although they had no tables until 8:00, we opted for an available table in the bar. We were tasting the mac & black truffles all the way there but, they have taken it off the menu so we were a tad bummed over that but after ordering the two 3 item antipasti we quickly got over it. The root vegetables were fabulous as well as the seafood crudo, whipped baccalla (I thought I'd never try baccalla) , and assorted crostini. (plenty of truffle oil), delicious. For our entree we went for the squid ink chitarra with poached lobster, scallion, and vanilla. I closed my eyes and was transported to the Mediterranean. The squid ink pasta was deliciously briny. Absolutely fabulous. We also had sweet potato gnocchi with wild boar ragu, local apples, shaved bittersweet chocolate, pecorino. The gnocchi were light as pillows and who would have thought of using sweet potatoes? Fabulous again. Every time we dine here we say that was the best meal ever. We are never disappointed and always surprised with something new that we've never had before. Upon arrival we asked Bonnie what the gelato and ices were on the desert menu and when dolci time came we opted for the Grapefruit granita, caramel and salt gelato and balsamic gelato. Fun, fabulous and delicious. Finally, the service was top notch. Friendly, knowledgeable, fast, and just a pleasure. Portami al mare Mediterraneo.

• Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our meal. Went on a Saturday night . Had a reservation and were seated immediately . Unfortunately we were downstairs by the window (which was lovely & romantic) . But was very chilly. We had already ordered, & had our drinks but asked to be reseated. Our appetizers were quick & another table wasn't ready so they asked us if it would be ok to eat where we were , which was fine. As soon as we were done, they moved us upstairs & were so apologetic about the wait & our discomfort . Our meal was delicious, waitstaff was friendly & professional.. We really enjoyed our visit. Will definitely be going again next time we are in New Paltz.. Also was busy & vibrant . Obviously a town favorite ! A must try!

Venice, California, United States
“Refreshingly delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I would like to thanks all of the staff members of A Tavola for continuously providing me with not just a meal, but an experience to be remembered. From the moment I walked into the door, I was no longer in New Paltz but in an unparalleled environment, bridging the gaps between casual and classy, the vibes of NYC and the comforts of home.
The romantic ambiance is inviting enough for even the table of ones, though I prefer to show off this restaurant to multiple friends and family members at once, as the food is not processed, locally grown, and extremely detailed. Even the pasta is homemade, an extremely tedious touch that makes all the difference.
Readers, do yourself a service and enjoy a fresh and creative meal, you will not be able to compare with any other. As for that McDonald's review, I wouldn't trust someone who didn't know fish have bones. Perhaps, the lack of a developed palette is what they meant by pretentious. I travel for a living and experience cuisines from many different cultures, but it's always such a reward to come home to A Tavola. I'm very proud to have this establishment in my community.

• Visited January 2013