“Quiet, lovely place” 4 of 5 stars

145 Main St, New Paltz, NY 12561   |
USA
“Quiet, lovely place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We have stayed at this hostel a number of times over the years. It is certainly not for every traveler, but it suits our needs perfectly. We like the fact that there is a strict no drugs/alcohol/smoking policy and the hostel is one of the quietest I have ever stayed in. This is not a hostel for the late night partying crowd.

The rooms are nothing special, but each has a warm, welcoming touch. Our room during our most recent stay included a queen size bed and two bunks with a private bathroom for $70/nightly. This is higher than most hostels charge, but the New Paltz Hostel is a bit more "upscale" than conventional, bare bones hostels, and the motel rates in the area are rather pricey in general, even the flea bag motels.

One great thing about the New Paltz Hostel is the ease of access to public transit. It is right next to the Adirondack Trailways bus station, and there is also a bus link from the Poughkeepsie Amtrak/MetroNorth train station across the river (a bargain at $1.75). You can't beat that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I found this to be one of the best hostel every visited here in USA or overseas. The Manager is so kind and friendly and the atmosphere is hygienic superior. The hostel has everything you could think of within reach. Adequate fridge storage, state of the art kitchen and washer/dryer. I was only surprised no iron was available and lockers were so small.

Room Tip: Try to ask for dorm rooms not next to lounge ... to take a shower you are literally on display.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I stayed here two weekends in June while climbing at the Gunks. I stayed in the shared room with 6 bunks. There were four of us and it didnt seem uncomfortable or noisy. I also stayed in the sunflower room with a private bath and shared it with another woman. The room is large, comfortable beds, clean. I love that there are no drugs or alcohol and a curfew, the hostel was very quiet when we were there and the service was excellent. I will stay there again the next time I climb at the Gunks. I think it is priced a little high for a hostel when a hotel room is only slightly higher in price, at least for the private room. There is a kitchen that you can use. We stayed in the downstairs rooms, the upstairs ones I believe they are remodeling which is good bc they looked like they needed it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
gevalia1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

I wanted to go climbing and backpacking at the Gunks and needed a place to stay with my friends for two nights. We got off the bus on main street and the place was right next door. It was a great atmosphere , free coffee, internet, wireless access, and use of kitchen. It was a much warming feeling than a hotel or motel that I would normally stay at.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to New Paltz Hostel? Share your experiences!