“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Los Angeles
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

We pulled of the expressway and asked a local kid where to get a steak and a beer. He directed us to the Gilded Otter, and it couldn't have been nicer. We sat outside on a pleasant May evening and I enjoyed an excellent India Pale Ale, while my girlfriend sipped on the best Cosmo we've ever been served in a restaurant. The food was good, hearty pub fare and reasonably priced. In the unlikely event that I'm ever in New Paltz again (I live in Los Angeles) I would definitely go back.

Travelin' Man

New Paltz
“Auful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

Great if you like like reheated frozen food, garnished with unreasonable prices. Don't go it's a tourist trap that sucks

London
“It's the Beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2006

You go to the Gilded Otter for the MicroBrew Beer. The food is standard pub fare and reasonably priced, but it's the beer...the beer...Excellent local ales, lagers and house specials. The oatmeal stout is world glass..the wheat beers first rate (when available)....And you can get a gallon to go!

Great pit stop when in the Hudson Valley..

New York
“Gilded Otter Sucks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

I was in New Paltz this weekend and we decided to eat at this restaurant for the first time. At first the waitress was very nice. When we ordered our food, I told the waitress that I wanted my meat well done. When the food came, my meat was very bloody. I told the waitress and she told me that she would take it back to cook. After about 15 minutes she came back with the food. By then my potatoes were very cold and when I cut my meat open it was still raw. I also ordered a coke. When I drank some of it, I saw a fly stuck to the inside of my cup. Also, my cousin was drinking from a beer cup which was broken and almost cut his lip. We spoke to the manager and she took 20% off of our bill. She also spoke to the waitress who then had a nasty attitude. This is the first and last time that I would eat from the Gilded Otter!

Modena
“Not Good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

Well, perhaps terrible is too harsh. But then, this place isn't OK either. As in most college towns, The Otter’s wait staff are mostly from the college. It’s hit or miss as far as the dinning room is concerned. You may get a pleasant waitress who is probably from upstate (Ulster County and north) or someone from the city (Orange County and South) who is obnoxious and rude.
The food is also hit or miss. I have tried all of their pizzas and my favorite is “Pizza Rustica”. But then again there are many pizza joints in New Paltz with lower prices and as good in quality. Their “Brew Pub Meatloaf” at $14.50 is well, meatloaf at $14.50. I’ve never had meatloaf worth $14.50 have you? I’ve eaten at the Otter about 25 or 30 times and none of the meals have been really memorable. The chief must be a relative of the owner.
All the bar wait staff are inattentive. Many of them seem untrained and can’t make a good mixed drink. The beer is OK for the most part if you like BITTERS. The brew master seems to have a heavy hand with the Hops. Most of the beers are drinkable, just.
If you tout the beers from the west coast you will like them. If you like Budweiser you'll hate them and if you are in between you'll be happy with some. Again the price of a pint is a bit high, especially for college town where there is a public university. You can find many great beers in the establishments of New Paltz, in bottles from around the world, at better prices.
The best features of The Gilded Otter are the building and the view of the Gunx.
Try Skytop Steakhouse and Brewing Company in Kingston or The Hyde Park Brewery in Hyde Park. Both have better food and better beer, and they won’t put as big a dent in your pocket book.