“food was great service was lacking” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 109 Restaurants in New Paltz
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
New York
“food was great service was lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

I dinned there last Sunday. We had been out all day horse ridding and visiting winery's in the area. We stopped of for a relaxing dinner around 6:30 or so after the rush or so we thought. The wait staff from the moment we sat down were rushing us back out the door. The dinning room was emptying out at this stage so i couldn't understand their panic. We ordered appetizers and entrees that came with salad. The salads were thrown down when we were half through our appetizers an the dinners followed promptly after. It was very upsetting to us to be rushed so quickly through our meal. I wouldn't recommend going there if you want to relax. but if your in a hurry it seems to be the spot. However the food was incredible and very reasonable priced. I just wished we had more time to enjoy it. even will we were splitting desert the bill was dropped down without any pleasantries.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Anchorage, Alaska
“Bad food, ok beer”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

I don't understand the hype behind this place. The food was terrible and the beer only ok. The only thing this place has going for it is the atmosphere. Great place to hang out with friends... but don't go for the food!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
smittyd23
“Great Beer, Delicious Food & Good Times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

We stopped here for dinner after hiking in Minnewaska State Park. We were immediately welcomed by the staff who took very good care of us. The atmosphere was very fun and laid back. Copper brewing kettles and all the natural wood furniture added to the atmosphere. The wall behind the bar was listed with beers you could drink, so I think everyone could find something they would like. We opted for the Beer Sampler, to try the brewery's best brews. And they all were delicious. The food was up there with the beer quality. The Brew Pub Meatloaf with horseradish mashed potatoes, was absolutely incredible. I have never had a meal that good. And to finish off a great day we enjoyed a delicious Reese's Peanut Butter Pie. I would reccomend this place to anyone who enjoys a good beer and great tasting food. I can't wait to go back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York
“The worst restaurant in New Paltz.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Please don't torture yourself with a meal at the Gilded Otter. While the beer was palatable, the service was rushed and we felt very unwelcome, the food was frozen, and literally thrown onto the plates.There is no way I would ever subject myself to this kind of atrocity again, I would hope that you would choose the superior selection or quality at Murphy's or Bacchus if choosing a brew pub in New Paltz.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Great Beer!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

Fantastic microbrew pub! The beer gets 5 stars, the food gets 3 stars so 4 stars overall.
Decor is nice, lots of large windows that let in light and you can sit outside if you wish.
My husband and I always stop here for a pint or two or three if we are in the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere