“You've lost that lovin feeling” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 109 Restaurants in New Paltz
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
“You've lost that lovin feeling”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We went back to our favorite place. Believe me, it's still our favorite. A more beautiful hotel, more perfect scenery and better food we can not imagine. We will be back for sure.

However, some years ago the Smiley family sold to a corporation. The Smileys are still present and we understand remain involved in the managment of the place. Over time, we have noticed a more "managed" atmosphere and less of a personal touch.

For example, reservations and getting your room key are handled by cool professionals rather than caring folks with an interest in the guests. In trying to change our dinner reservations from 6:30 to 7:00, we were told we could not be accommodated despite a less than full dining room at 7, 7:30, 8:00.....for the life of me I could not understand the issue.

As for the restaurant, the food quality remains of the highest caliber, though the dinner menu was altered from a 4 course to a 3 course meal. The result was a more rushed, less enjoyable meal. It was not the staff that hurried us but the food came out very quickly and, well, that was that.

High marks still go to the Valet staff (thanks Mike) who seem to remember us each time and make every effort to quickly unload and load. Also, if you are looking for a deep tissue massage, Wyatt in the Spa is your man. Also, special thanks to Abe in the Carriage House for reccomending the perfect Burgandy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Woodstock, New York
“A mountain treasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is a place that needs to be experienced at least once. So beautiful and peaceful. Another world!

Red Hook, New York
“A wonderful winter night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My party of 5 went to dinner at the mountain house one cold winter night.let me just say driving up to the mountain house is an adventure in it self. I felt like I was driving in the Swiss alps way way up we arrived early and spent some time looking around the mountain house.All I can say about the house breathtaking you just need to see it. Dinner was amazing from start to finish one of the best experiences ever. I had braised short ribs , the best I've ever had you could just tell the chef was top notch everybody in my party also loved their meals.I have never had a dinner with so many expectations where all met with flying colors

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio, Texas
“Grandes Dames”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Mohonk is the grandes dames of summer resorts from a bygone era. Popular as an escape for the wealthy from the summer heat of the city, these type of resorts were a treatment from a previous age on the lifestyles of the rich and famous.

This old resort is a magnificent representation of one of those resorts, well preserved and as popular as ever it was. The views from anywhere on the property are spectacular, the lake - a sparkling alpine gem, and from the tower at the end of a well-worth-it hike - stupendous. A whole slew of superlatives are inadequate to describe this wonderful mountain hotel.

We came for the day to experience the luxury of this beautiful old hotel and to partake of the Sunday brunch (over $200 per couple). The spread was expansive in the main dining room and though there were a few stellar dishes, the food was a bit average overall. But again, the views from the window tables, the ambiance, and the pervasive grandeur of the place made one flush with awe like having drunk a good burgundy now flowing hot through your veins.

The elegance of place left me overwhelmed and a bit speechless; and I would return in a heart beat if ever I get the chance again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Had Dinner Only. Will never do it again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had reservations for dinner only. We were told it would be a buffet and were not offered any other choices. Buffet was bad. And for those high prices, that makes you mad. Food was tepid, not hot at all. Salmon was hard as a rock with very little sauce. Ravioli and veggies were good...just not hot. Overall, we've had better at a Chinese buffet so there you go. Wine was good though. Not at all worth the price. We felt they were trying to get over because of the ambiance and the views. But it didn't work. Food was still mediocre.