A good friend of mine had stayed here a couple of years back and recommended this place - calling it "cute" and "really interesting". It seemed pretty nice, so I booked a few nights to celebrate an anniversary with my partner. An extremely sad turn of events took place when my partner's father passed away on the day we were supposed to arrive. I called Lefevre that morning, doing my best to be clear and explain the situation on the phone, but still in shock and trembling. One of the owners (I don't recall if it was Maurice or Charles) was very sympathetic on the phone and said he completely understood why we couldn't come, gave his condolences and said he would make sure to take care of the bill. He said that the system they use to hold reservations automatically charges on the first night, but he assured me that he would take care of everything and cancel the transaction. He said to call back in a few days to check on the transaction after things had calmed down some.
I called back after about a week and though no one picked up, left a voice message. Two weeks had passed and I had left one more message and sent one email. I did not want to bombard them, but the transaction had not been reversed, nor had I received any communication from them at all.
I called one more time and finally got the same owner on the phone. I had mentioned I had been trying to get a hold of someone and he stated that they were really busy and had not gotten back to all the calls. I thought even an email notification from them letting me know they received my messages would've sufficed, but this wasn't the case. This time his tone was indifferent and suddenly during our conversation, he said he had to charge me for the first day because they would supposedly have lost money from having to turn away people who wanted a room for that night. It actually sounded as if he just thought of the idea. The other option he said was to give me credit that could be used on another date, but I had to book that date right then and there.
There are two things wrong with this:
1) He explicitly stated to me during our previous conversation, that he would cancel the transaction, even explaining the automatic charge system, whereby going back on what he said.
2) When I first booked these dates, I had been told that it was during their off-peak season and that not many people booked during that time. This and his sudden "Well, I have to charge you for the first day...." just makes this a bit shady.
Even though I was put off by his sudden decision to charge me for the first night when he originally said he wouldn't, I didn't make a big fuss. I told him we still wanted to come there to celebrate, but considering the circumstances - and all that had happened - it would take some time to really figure out our schedules. And at the very least, it was best to have the refund, then book later. I asked about how long the remaining refund would take - and he said a week.
A couple of weeks passed and nothing. I called back and got the other partner on the phone this time, explaining the conversation I had and asking about the refund. I offered the option to take credit, but asked if it was ok to be a little more open about the dates and not book just yet. I was even open to having peak dates blacked out. He said he would have to speak with his partner because he didn't know anything about our conversation and said he would get back to me the next day. Over a week passed - and I never heard back. I called and left a message - and guess what - nothing again!
After waiting another week with absolutely no communication from them, I called my bank, explained the situation and they graciously offered to resolve the transaction. It's unfortunate to have to say that Lefevre is anything but gracious.
Through all of this - and through their complete void of communication - it's evident that they have NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. I was more than happy to give them business on another date and even ready to recommend them to friends looking to get away from the city and stay in what seemed like a great place. But considering that a recent reviewer had the same exact experience with them not reimbursing or even calling/emailing back, as well as the most recent negative reviews - I'd say it's pretty obvious that they are straight up shady and They Really Could Care Less.
- Also Known As:
- Lefevre House Bed And Breakfast
- Lefevre House Hotel
- Lefevre House Hotel New Paltz
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A cool company connecting individuals, glamorizing relationships, and honoring our community. A marvelous mix of awesome art, breathtaking beauty, delicious dining, extraordinary events, luxurious lodging, passionate people, sumptuous spa services, and superior service. An exquisite experience of fabulocity from which everyone profits! A European boutique style atmosphere in the heart of the historic village of New Paltz, Lefevre House will cater to your every need. Rest your weary head on four-poster king-sized beds decorated in Versace bedding. Wake each morning to a three-course gourmet breakfast that is made with the freshest ingredients and perfect presentation. Share a romantic moment on the porch of our 19th century "Painted Lady" Victorian as the sun sets on the Shawangunk Ridge. Relax your body and your mind in our private hot tub terrace or steam room. Lefevre House is not just a Bed and Breakfast, but an experience that you will never forget! ... more less