“Rock scrambling: The Labyrinth trail. Great experience, amazing views and wonderful picture opportunities” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mohonk Mountain House

Type: Cultural
New York City
12 attraction reviews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

A group of 13 of us came to Mohonk for rock scrambling. We rock scrambled "The Labyrinth." This was my first time rock scrambing and it was a great experience!

Mohonk is about 2 hours from NYC. Once you arrive, you are stopped at a gate to pay entry. They also give you a map and can answer any questions you have. Entry is $25 per person for a day pass. There are two single bathrooms in the parking lot. These are very clean. To get to the trail from the parking lot, you can either take a shuttle at the top of the steps, or you can walk a short trail. We opted to walk the trail and it was an easy walk. Maybe about 30 minutes? Once you reach the Mountain House and lake, there is a another restroom area you can use (just ask the person in the "Information" booth where it is. This booth is located right in front of the lake's deck.) The Labyrinth trail is just a quick walk from the Mountain House. Once you start The Labyrinth, it is a straight rock scramble. There really is no "hiking" in between rock scrambling. We stopped for photos so it took about 2 hours for us to complete the scramble to the top but you can do it faster if you didn't stop as much. The experience is great. It's definitely tough! I'm a novice and have never been scrambling before and I felt that there were some difficult parts which I would imagine would be hard for anyone without a helping hand. We came with a large group so it was easy to get a hand up or a push up when needed. Be careful, and wear comfortable shoes that grip because some areas can be dangerous. We saw a lot of adults on the trail (not so much kids or older folks) and you have to be somewhat fit to complete this trail. Definitely exercise caution. Most of the scramble is pretty safe but it is just big rocks with big crevices in between so you could hurt yourself. The trail is marked with red arrows so you know which direction to go. There were ladders in certain areas but not everywhere. You do have to squeeze through maybe two or three areas during the scramble and might be tough for some larger folks. As you get closer to the top, you get these stunning views. It is really beautiful and we got some great photos. Bring water but definitely try to pack light. A heavy backpack can really throw off your balance. We had lunch at the peak. There were a few tables but not many. I think there should have been a restroom area up at the peak as well but I didn't see any. The trail back down to the bottom was quick (maybe 15-20 minutes?) At the end of the day, we took a canoe out on the lake. It is $13 for 30 minutes.

Overall, a great experience and I can't wait to go back. Get ready for sore muscles the next day though!

Visited June 2013

Stormville
14 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Was a beautiful Place and has trails and outstanding views. Getting up to the hotel was a little drive but a very pretty drive.

Visited September 2012
Warsaw, Poland
31 attraction reviews
“Need to come back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My family have been coming for years, but this was my first visit after 20+ years away. Unfortunately, the trails were closed due to last remnants of snow, but will have to come back to experience fully next time around. The grounds are lovely and the hotel a historical charm.

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
14 attraction reviews
“You'll Never Forget This Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I can use words like breathtaking, magical, enchanting, awe-inspiring, but it's not enough. This preserve is just too incredible to describe.

My favorite trail is the Labyrinth, which leads to Lemon Squeeze. This one can be kind of pricey, though, since you have to pay the Mohonk Mountainhouse Day pass, last I checked it was $25 per person with small children getting in for free. The hike to the lodge is really nice and you can take pictures at virtually every step and have a beautiful shot.

I've also visited Bonticou Crag, which was a bit steeper, but very rewarding. The TableRock wasn't that big of a deal. :/

And my favorite part is heading back after a hike to a small shop with yummy chip and desserts right in New Paltz.

Overall: You won't regret it! Go!

Visited May 2012
East Brunswick
38 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking View! Fun Rock Scramble”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family of four were there on Mother's day. We enjoyed the rock scramble. It was challenging at some areas because of slippery rock and narrow crevice. But it's worth it at the end. Overlooking the Mohonk mountain view is worth a few scratch marks on the elbows. The Mother's day luncheon was decent buffet with very fresh shimp cocktails. We went again in the Fall. The leaves hadn't turned color yet. The lunch buffet was ok this time because we were seated downstairs. The seating and food defintely better upstairs. The kids enjoyed the rock scramble in crisp air.

Visited October 2012