“Delicious Dinner and Breathtaking Views!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
hoboken
“Delicious Dinner and Breathtaking Views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a delicious dinner on the outdoor patio, overlooking the beautiful golf course and mountain scenery. I enjoyed a wonderful heirloom tomato salad and homemade Mac & Cheese, while my husband couldn't stop raving about the Roasted half Rykowski Livestock Chicken, with caramelized onion and Yukon Gold Potato salad and Gill Farms grilled corn on the cob. Most of the food is from local area farms...you may get lucky and dine on something from the small garden outside! The service was fair. I say that because our server was not very welcoming, however she did bring our orders out in a timely manner.

• Visited August 2012

San Antonio, Texas
“Thoroughly impressed!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I visited Rock and Rye while visiting friends over the Labor Day holiday. This place is absolutely amazing. I started out with trying several different classic cocktails, and although I am not a connoisseur of this style, I was greatly impressed by the bartenders' knowledge of the drinks, the traditional way to serve them, the complete attention to detail with each one, and of course the great taste. I fell in love with the Martinez Side by Side. I also noticed that they had several unique beers on draft as well. The menu had a wide variety of very tempting selections and the wait staff also gave a long list of off-menu specials to choose from. Both the portobello fries and the flat iron steak that I had were impressive and unique. Kudos to the chef. Again, the attention to detail was readily apparent...down to the fact that almost all ingredients are from local farms...very impressive. The dessert special (bourbon ice cream) was to die for! Atmosphere is very cozy in the renovated inn with separate small dining rooms, outside patio, wood floors, classic decor, and soft lighting. It feels like you are hanging out at your family's old farmhouse. Location is quiet and beautiful. The wait staff was definitely knowledgeable and friendly and brought all of our selections together, making sure everyone was happy and satisfied. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience and I will definitely be back here the next time I am in town!!

• Visited September 2012
New York, New York, United States
“Hands Down Best Food Outside NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Over the holiday weekend, a few friends and I (city mice) decided to visit some other friends (country mice) in New Paltz and we met at Rock and Rye Tavern - a highly recommended local venue. We were BLOWN AWAY! First, the atmosphere is quaint, inviting, rustic - like you stopped by someone's private home. Next, the staff were all incredibly responsive, knowledgeable and nice! People are so NICE upstate! But, honestly, the best part was the food. As an avid NYC-restaurant-goer, I tend to be spoiled by good food and hyper critical of mediocre food. Rock & Rye far exceeded our expectations of "food outside NYC!" From the crunchy portabello fries, to the chilled gazpacho, to the tender halibut, delectable pork belly, perfectly done polenta, and on and on (lots of options for my vegetarian friends as well), we were STUFFED. But still made room for the warm chocolate chip cookie and vanilla bean with fresh whipped cream, of course. When in New Paltz, this is a MUST GO.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A classic cocktail lovers dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

I went to Rock and Rye the other night after hearing from a friend about their great bar serving properly made classic cocktails. I was very impressed and had one of the absolute best Manhattans I've ever tasted. For those complaining about drink sizes keep in mind that they are trying to replicate an old world bar feel. There are no tvs or distractions other then some light music. Serving smaller sized drinks is not only accurate historically, but keeps them chilled and less diluted.

The food was simple, but executed very well. My date and i shared the scallops to start and I had the roasted half chicken as an entree. The chicken had that great crunchy skin that I personally love, served simply with local lightly seasoned verts and a nice mac and cheese that wasnt overly cheesy.

If you're looking for a nice expertly made cocktail and dinner and you want to avoid the college crowd give it a shot. If you want a 9oz martini with cheap well liqour there's a Chili's in Poughkeepsie.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Middletown, New York, United States
“High Class Yet Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My significant other and I enjoyed our very first date at this restaurant and we have since been back many times. The ambiance is lovely, starting from the drive there, down the oldest street in America, up a long tree and lantern lined driveway to the setback restaurant housed in an old stone walled structure right next to the golf course. Stepping inside, the atmosphere is warm and cozy, we were greeted and seated quickly and all the staff seem very friendly and accommodating. The tone is upscale and yet I would not feel uncomfortable or out of sorts in jeans. The menu is all farm to table and the taste creations seem to be combinations that you would not quite expect, yet half the fun is exciting the taste buds with how well each flavor compliments the others and the dish as a whole. One of my favorite dishes was a duck confit, with fresh peaches and arugula, rolled in an herbed crepe. Portions are clean but hearty. There is a good wine selection (our waitress was very helpful in suggesting one to compliment our date dinners quite nicely), the beers on tap are always changing and always a delicious temptation coming out of local breweries, but the bar turns out some very delicious creations as well, including some older more classic concoctions that a lesser bar would have no clue what they are, much less how to pour them perfectly. My partner says that their Manhattan is absolutely spot on. Dessert rounds out everything wonderfully, and I highly suggest their bread pudding. To die for. On the whole, this is a restaurant that I will come back to many a time and definitely will recommend to my friends and family. My initial visit (first date) was back in April 2012 and I have been back almost once a month since then (and my significant other visits the bar as an after work relaxer perhaps twice as often) and being such a fan I thought this revue well overdue.

• Visited April 2012