“Everything I wanted and more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hungry Ghost Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Paltz
Hungry Ghost Guest House
You added Hungry Ghost Guest House to your Saves list
35 Cragswood Road, New Paltz, NY 12561   |
Ranked #4 of 10 New Paltz B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Everything I wanted and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

There's not much I can say in this review that hasn't already been said several times already. The house is clean, the area is beautiful, the hosts are friendly, and the food tasty. I had a wonderful time.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Miller Place, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

I so enjoyed staying with Petra and Mike. The trip was amazing thanks to being able to return each night to the Hungry Ghost where we felt respected, pampered, and welcomed. Petra's helpful advice about where to hike, where to dine, and where to practice yoga gave us needed direction.The house was cozy, full of art and books. The landscape was magical, thriving with beautiful animals. The breakfasts were filling, healthy and delicious. The company was sincere, engaging, and delightful. Plus, the stay was very reasonably priced, considering all of the aforementioned perks! Our vacation would have been okay or even good if we stayed somewhere else but because we stayed at the Hungry Ghost, it was wonderful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

The Hungry Ghost was the coolest little B&B. My girlfriend and I stayed in the Treehouse Room, a huge upstairs bedroom (accessed via a charming spiral staircase) with the most comfortable bed I ever slept in. The views from the large windows were gorgeous (our first 20 minutes involved spying a family of deer picking their way through the woods) and Petra, the owner, had a pitcher of water and some home-made vegan brownies waiting for us on arrival.

The rest of the house was HUGE, and we essentially had the entire place to ourselves. We were the only guests, and Petra runs a separate swim-instruction business out of the basement that occupies most of her time. Privacy is important to me, and I had copious amounts of it on the trip. We had access to the kitchen and were free to prepare our own lunch (Petra runs a vegan household, and we are not vegan), and, most importantly, full access to their AWESOME oxygenated hot tub (no chlorine means no nasty dry skin after)! My girlfriend and I spent most of our evening in the hot tub, sharing wine purchased from a local winery.

Petra's hand-drawn map of the area was the most precious resource a traveler could ask for. She identified EVERYTHING with a precise, accurate map and directions, and even included the types of crowds that frequent each establishment. She included attractions that were outside of New Paltz as well (Minnewaska State Park, for instance), and she knows all the local hiking trails.

Overall, The Hungry Ghost was my favorite experience on a trip ever, and we will be returning in the summer for a longer stay to experience the hiking trails we missed due to the amount of snow still left from the winter.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Petra, my apologies for not posting sooner.

Over the past 8 years we have been to a bunch of different B&B's in the new paltz area.
This one really gives it a personal touch. It's a beautiful house offset from any main roads.
It's surrounded by nature, and i saw a Deer run by.. pretty cool.
The rooms are very well appointed with comfy bedding and ample places for your stuff.
I do need to bring up that there is one bathroom for 3 rooms. However, while I thought it would be an issue before staying there. We had no problems what so ever with bathroom time and use. There is also an outside shower you can use if it's nice out.
The breakfast is out of this world. One of the reasons we picked this place is because they serve a vegan ( plant based) breakfast. And Petra cooks it every morning.
Amazing blueberry pancakes! I was introduced to Chia Seeds while there and so happy I was. She is a plethora of knowledge on nutrition and fitness so feel free to ask.
And i would also like to thank her for mentioning a Cornell course. Which I took and now have a cert in plant based nutrition. I may not have found it for another year if it was not for her.
Her and her husband are very helpful with sites and dining around the area. She has an amazing mapping ability and will get you to and from with ease.
Karen

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

This review is long overdue as my partner and I have visited the Hungry Ghost Guest House 5 times over the past year and a half. Visiting the Hungry Ghost is our most favorite weekend getaway. Pulling through their long wooded driveway at the end of a long week, all my worldly worries are forgotten by the time I reach the front door. Petra and Mike are always there to greet us with a smile.

There’s this great fireplace that they run during the fall and winter that we can just sit in front of for hours sipping the endless variety of teas that are available. In the mornings we love to sit outside on the deck. From the vantage point of their home there are seemingly endless woods in all directions, they literally have a whole forest at their doorstep. The house is really warm and cozy, tastefully decorated, and super clean and well kept. We have stayed in all 3 rooms and love them all.

They have this really cool outdoor shower which is probably best left to spring, summer and fall, and an outdoor hot tub which I think is available mostly year round. Downstairs in the basement is a well equipped fitness area. There is a really nice common living area and dining area, and a very welcoming vibe, so the place really feels like a home away from home.

Breakfast is always one of my favorite times of day. Petra is a fantastic cook. Everything she makes is vegan, but you certainly don’t need to be vegan nor vegetarian to appreciate the food. On several occasions we have also been treated to scrumptious homemade dessert, and a few of those times there’s been homemade vegan ice cream! It’s obviously specific to our experience, but they seem to attract really cool guests as well. We often find ourselves lost in breakfast-time conversation with Petra, the other guests, and often Mike as well.

Petra and Mike are the most gracious and helpful hosts. They are both very active in the community and are always plugged into the happenings in New Paltz. They always know what’s going on in or around town in any given weekend. Whatever we are looking to do, they always set us in the right direction with places to eat, walk, hike, bike, run, get local produce, take a yoga class, shop, special events, etc.

We really like the Hungry Ghost Guest House and find it to be breath of fresh air, both literally and figuratively. We also really like the town of New Paltz, and the whole surrounding area. We have now been up to New Paltz and the Hungry Ghost in all four seasons, each one bringing its own special charm.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the Hungry Ghost guesthouse several times in the past year and I highly recommend it. For me my favorite thing about staying there is how cozy it is. There is a fireplace, delicious vegan breakfast, tons of great books and magazines to read if you don’t have your own, and the hosts Mike and Petra are so friendly, helpful, and a breath of fresh air to be around. My husband loves the view from their house, and sitting on their porch staring at owls, deer, and all the nature that surrounds the place. The added bonus to staying here is an outdoor shower, hot tub, workout space with treadmills, weights etc., and on site swim lessons from the owners which allowed us to complete several triathlons (We were terrible swimmers before their lessons, they are really good instructors!!).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Mike and Petra were great hosts- very warm and inviting. The house and grounds were also beautiful! I couldn't have been happier with my stay. And the food was awesome. The yummiest healthiest pancakes ever. Mike and Petra are very active, and can recommend tons of hiking and activities nearby. A must stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hungry Ghost Guest House? Share your experiences!