“Lacking.....” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Macedon, NY
“Lacking.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Reasonably priced. "Soft" pillows were fantastic. Huge bathroom. That's it. Trip Advisor shows "Free Breakfast" for up to 2 adults sharing a room. We were told we had to pay for breakfast. I am a loyal IHG member. I was greeted as such when checking in, but no IHG gift as I'm accustomed to receiving. The heater/air conditioner was OFF when got into our room at 10:30 PM on 27 degree night (November 14) Room was freezing. Had to turn on the heater until room was warm then dial it back at midnight. Turned it to midpoint of hot and cold to go to sleep. Woke up at 3AM sweating it was so hot in there. Not impressed at all. Checking out, I notified the guy at the front desk and he said he'd "have maintenance look into it". No apology or sense of remorse. Will not be staying at this Holiday Inn again. First unpleasant Holiday Inn experience ever! They strive for your stay to be "The best stay ever"....they missed by freezing us out right off the bat.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Amanda1777, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New Hartford, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us. I apologize that it was not the best stay. I have spoken to the housekeeping manager in regards to making sure that the heat is turned on for the rooms that will be occupied, and I have also spoken with the front desk associates in regards to the welcome that you should have received being a valued IHG rewards member. I hope that if you do return to the Utica area in the future you will give a chance to show you that we can and that we will do better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Utica, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

Had my baby shower here in October, food was excellent. Unfortunately, the sole server for my shower was incredibly rude to myself and my family. Numerous times. My family and I tried to not let it ruin our day, but something as simple as asking for our empty water pitchers to be refilled should not have been such a battle. We asked for the pitchers to be refilled half-way through the three hour shower, and they never were. I worked in this hotel years ago as a sales manager, and while I was happy to see the food and décor are still great, it was upsetting to deal with such a rude employee. I will no longer recommend this hotel for people's events, as I asked for a manager to contact me regarding this situation, and no one has despite the fact that it has been weeks since my shower. What a shame. Hopefully the management of this hotel will not respond to this deplorable service with simply a trip advisor response, but with an actual phone call or email. They have my contact information after all! I do not believe a simple, "We are sorry to hear of your experience and will re-train our staff on customer service, etc." will cut it here. Two stars because a one star would be un-fair to those who prepared the food.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Amanda1777, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New Hartford, responded to this review, November 12, 2014
Kristen,
Thank you for letting us know and I will have Chris contact you as soon as she can.

Amanda

Travelers are raving about these New Hartford hotels

Westchester, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

This hotel is convenient, pleasant and reasonably priced. It was clean and the beds were very good. It could use some updating but overall, it is better than most other places in the area. Staff was pleasant and helpful. They will also permit dogs. Was also very quiet. Will stay there again.

Room Tip: Think all jars good except rooms away from lobby don't have easy access to elevators and will ne...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Amanda1777, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New Hartford, responded to this review, October 14, 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know that you had a wonderful stay with us and we are happy to here that you will be back. Thank you again and we look forward to having you as our guest in the future!
Swansboro, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2014

the hotel is in very good condition...all new furnishings...and that is the end of the good news.....when you arrive the doors pull out...making it very difficult to negotiate luggage coming in....the room....no microwave or fridge.....in the bathroom the only plug was on the far wall....making it impossible to blow dry my hair...yet there is a phone jack next to the mirror?????...rm 108.....when we checked in I went to take a shower immediately and found soap and shampoo from the previous guest in the shower....when I called to report my disgust...I was told by the mgr that he could give us another room close by to take a shower....NOT the response I expected .I was not shuffling back and forth to get ready for dinner,,,,....I question the cleanliness here....restaurant is sub par for breakfast....pricey and poor service....no coffee available in the lobby!!!!!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Amanda1777, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New Hartford, responded to this review, October 3, 2014
Our sincere apologies for the recent experience you had with us. Cleanliness and condition is something we take great pride in and we’re extremely disappointed to learn of what occurred during your visit. Responding to guests needs is another area we usually excel in, so I will address the specifics of your claim in detail with the appropriate departments immediately to ensure we maintain our high standards of service and satisfaction.
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

I used to work for the company that owned this hotel and one of my former employees is the housekeeping manager here. They have maintained the service and quality of the previous owners and that makes me proud. The room was clean, the desk staff friendly and the housekeepers were very friendly as well. Only stayed one night this trip but I still enjoy this hotel.

Room Tip: Suite rooms are great.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
central Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

We typically don't stay at Holiday Inns (other than HI Express occasionally) so I expected that this one would be rather old and tired based on some of the other reviews, and our most recent experience with the chain about twelve years ago. Fortunately, this hotel exceeded our expectations in many ways.

The property was in great condition outside and inside. Check-in was fast and courteous. Our room was clean and everything worked properly, and it seemed recently renovated. Both beds were comfortable, as were the pillows. Walking through the halls, I never saw anything out of place, and the restaurant and meeting rooms appeared to be in good condition as well.

Staff were always pleasant and helpful. When we needed to return to our room at 1:00 before it had been cleaned, the housekeeper had no problem leaving the room she was working on and finishing ours in about 15 minutes. Anyone else we encountered in the hotel was always smiling and friendly.

The outdoor pool was attractive and seemed to have been redone fairly recently as well. My daughter said the water was cold, but other than that it met our needs. It's completely surrounded by the hotel, so it's private, although room windows look out on it. The weights and machines in the fitness center all worked and were clean. The fitness center's TV got over a hundred stations as well as several radio stations.

The secure wifi worked sometimes, and when it did not, the unsecure wifi did, so we never had problems connecting our phones or laptop. It was always fast enough.

My only complaint is that the rooms lack a refrigerator and microwave. It's disappointing that, in 2014, I know that I'll find both in almost any Super 8 or Microtel or other budget chain, but not at a Holiday Inn. Hopefully management will comment on this, but I suspect that they're concerned that guests with these appliances may not be as likely to visit the hotel restaurant. We didn't go to the hotel restaurant--Utica has many outstanding local independent restaurants a short drive away--but since we had brought some perishable food with us, it would have been very helpful to have been able to keep it in something more substantial than a small cooler with ice.

If we return to Utica, we'll probably try another hotel next time, but we would not hesitate to book here at all if our first choice is unavailable.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I waa charged for breakfast lol room was nice, clean, updated and staff was friendly im writing this a couple of months later i hope its the right one, only stayed for 1 night and i would stay here again

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn New Hartford? Share your experiences!