“If only had we read the reviews about the Narrowsburg site.....” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Boat Tours
Attraction Details
New York City, New York
“If only had we read the reviews about the Narrowsburg site.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

After years of camping trips in several states, I have to say this was the worst places I've ever been to. The campgrounds, bathrooms, showers were clean, the staff friendly, but the worst part of the trip? The same complaint from others here, the people with the music, all day long and all night long, first night, a Friday music until 4am, if it continued I wouldn't know because my girlfriend and I passed out from exhaustion. I wasn't from the travel, the set up at camp, or working, it was the music. Then Saturday morning at 6am woken again to more music. What one review wrote is very true, the campsites started competing to see who could get the music the loudest. So my girlfriend and I left into town and stayed out until after dark just to get some peace. Even pulled into a parking lot just to take a nap. There was no reason for any of this so we compained to the staff and they just shrugged like this is normal. That was the first complain. The second one came on Sunday night. After listening to various shades of latin music from around the world at full volume( mind you they were coming for all the electricity equipt sites) for 24hrs a day for close to 2 days, they started shooting fireworks. Not from the field, even thought it's prohibited at the site, but into the tree canopy. Not sure if roman candles, rockets, and mortars are part of the camping experience but I can tell you one thing, if any of those trees caught fire, this place would have made the news.

Sorry to say, but I will not be back here nor will I ever tell anyone to come here. From talking with 2 sites next to us, they say they won't be back either. If they can't control the people that stay there to make it enjoyable for everyone. What makes it worse, the people in the town of Narrowsburg know the reputation of the place and recommeded going somewhere else. That says alot.

Visited August 2013

new york
3 attraction reviews
“Camping...with a cult?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was, hands down, the most bizarre camping trip I have ever experienced. At first glance, its a very pretty, very spacious, clean-enough campground and rafting/tubing outfitter. The proximity to the river is a huge draw, as the water is clean and refreshing on a hot summer day. The sites are large enough for at least 3 tents and 1 car with out feeling on top of one another. The bathrooms, while not the best I've seen, are adequate, but working soap dispensers and locks on the stalls would make them better. The sites have no electricity, which we were aware of and totally fine with it. No wire-less internet connection either, which was nice to 'unplug', it's the main reason most people go camping. Now this SOUNDS like a pretty nice little set up for a camping weekend. What could possibly turn all these wonderful features upside down to create the most irritating and bizarre camp experience ever?

Well to start, it was the loud, obnoxious, all night long, Latin music festival that took place between multiple campers. It was almost like a battle to see which site could blast their music louder than anyone else. I am all for enjoying whatever music you want to listen to, we are all paying customers, and have a right to listen to what appeals to us. However, what is absolutely intolerable is the entitled attitude that the music you enjoy is the only music that matters, and that everyone should be subjected to listen to it at absurd decibels. Remember when I said the sites have no electricity? Well apparently, for some, that means that is open invitation to bring a generator so they can pump music into the entire campground until 6:00 am. It was hour, after endless hour, of the same salsa music, tormenting everyone into the next day. It was so bad that we couldn't hear our battery operated ipod speakers in our own site. Apparently the loudest of the groups were told to be quiet multiple times, but as soon as the security truck left the area they would turn it up again. Now, I am not opposed to staying up all night and enjoying the camping experience. I specifically choose this campground because it said this camp ground was for those that enjoyed late nights around the fire. Maybe I could have enjoyed my late night around the fire if I could actually hear the music we were playing. Their behavior was downright disrespectful to anyone around them. The next day around 9:00am we noticed the staff moving this large group of people off the property, and were delighted in thinking management was doing the right thing and kicking them out. Turns out they were just moving them off site to a different campground to make way for a 'Church Group'. Initially we were relieved, and thought "oh those church people will probably be way more tame and mellow, we can enjoy our night".... this is where the irritating turns to bizarre.

Turns out it wasnt a church group, but a full on cult. The World Mission Society Church of God - read up on it, its a real cult. They had to be 400-500 strong. They took over more than half of the camp ground, and fenced off an entire section of activity field, an entire bathhouse with a dozen porta-potties, AND a nice little path to access the river directly. Our afternoon was consistently interrupted by prayers over a bull horn, chanting, games, religious music and cheering. Every single shower in the entire place (not just their fenced off bathhouse) was always 10-20 people deep waiting to shower. As evening turned into night, things turned from annoying to down right creepy. There was a lot of talk over the bull horn of waiting for the big bang to come and take them, saying that planet earth was getting old and they were ready to be brought back up to the sky as angels. We were not the only campers thinking this could easily turn into a mass suicide. Then they made an announcement that if you weren't behind the fence you were in harms way for 'the big show' and with that a very close, very loud firework went off in our non fenced area (from the main path). So basically everyone outside the fence was in danger...which just so happened to be the rest of the non-cult affiliated campers. When we went to management to inquire about our safety we were met with a very overwhelmed woman, seems other people were concerned too. I asked her about our safety in regards to this massive group of 300 people, and she actually told us there were 'way more than 300 of them'. She assured us the fireworks were not coming from the campground, she left in a van to check it out and told us those people absolutely had no fireworks with them, and that any fireworks we saw were coming from the Pennsylvania side of the river. A security man quickly offered that they did have a pyrotechnic guy with them though. So basically no one knew what was going on! Not more than 3 minutes after that a fire work came from the path we were just walking on (and about 5 sites down), and then another. We weren't going to waste our breath anymore complaining, it was obvious the management team had no idea how to handle this massive crowd of people, and keep their other guests happy. This cult activity went on all night, followed by a huge explosions (torching of a massive bon fire, rave type dance party, and more (however, professionally handled) fireworks. I honestly would not have minded a few announcements on a loud speaker for people to know where to congregate for different activities they were having, but it was non stop, and to the point that we felt like we rented a tent site at a religious retreat and not the other way around. It is such a shame because it has potential to be a beautiful place to enjoy a nice weekend of camping. But, every single person who wasn't affiliated with this enormous group of cult members was subjected to their religious opinions for 24 hours, over a bull horn.

The whole weekend was just one big disaster. If it wasn't one group of obnoxious people it was another, and with very little managerial control. I would never have signed up for this if I had known this was a religious retreat weekend, or a place that allowed generator powered music to run all night long into the next morning.

I would say you should sign up to camp here if you either; enjoy all night salsa parties, or have a burning desire to witness a mass suicide by a cult. Or if you really really really wanna check it out, maybe go on a weeknight, or ask to be put in a site far away from large parties. Good luck!

Visited August 2013
NYC
3 attraction reviews
“Naturally fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Upper Delaware River is scenic, and fun to paddle for people of all ages. Landers is the big fish in this pond, and they have the know-how and facilities to make your day on the river enjoyable. Multiple camps along the river allow them to tailor a trip to your group or experience. You'll see bald eagles along the way, pass historic bridges , and (if you're lucky) navigate through some small rapids. Minimal experience necessary to enjoy

Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
8 attraction reviews
“Landers! Landers! Landers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

That is our mantra. I have been adopted into the group that has been going to Landers in Narrowsberg, NY for 13 years. (Please note: Landers has multiple locations and you should check their website because they are NOT just in Minisink.) Our group has never once been disappointed with the service, staff, or level of attention given to our somewhat rowdy (yet respectful and campsite-maintaining) group. The bang for your buck is amazing, the location at Narrowsberg is so convenient and well maintaned, and just ask for Wiz. Okay? Just ask for Wiz. (Shout out to Lisa Landers for the pics pre-river!!!)

Visited July 2013
Lisa L, Owner at Landers River Trips, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We always enjoy having your group for the weekend. This year it was better yet with the 4th of July long weekend. We love your group’s energy and enthusiasm at the campground and on the river. Of course, the costumes every year are the talk among our staff. Your group has even inspired a pirate themed day on the river. Looking forward to seeing you guys again next year!
Brooklyn, New York
“Great for the Family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We recently stayed at the Minisink Campground and had a great weekend. I have two younger children ages 6 and 7 and was recommended that this particular campground was geared more towards families. We stayed in a rivefront site which was surprisingly close to the river. The kids loved it. We didn't do the rafting but instead my 7 year old and husband went tubing while me and my daughter stayed back and played in the water. My son raved about the trip, we are still hearing about the "huge" waves he got to ride. We had a great time and would definitely recommend it to someone looking for a family hangout. A tip though for anyone interested in this campground, call ahead and either book a site ahead or double check availability because there were a few weekends that were booked out, as we were told over the phone. The staff was very helpful in finding us a weekend that worked for us and a great site.

Visited June 2013