“Hotel in change....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Nanuet
Sturbridge, MA
“Hotel in change....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I selected this hotel based on its proximity to the Palisades Mall, a gigantic inside shopping complex about 2 miles away. This is perhaps the largest Comfort Inn and Suites I've ever stayed at. It features rambling hallways, restaurant, indoor pool and spa.

Our room was clean and the bedding appeared immaculate. I checked the mattresses as I do everywhere, and they appeared spotless and free of any evidence that would suggest that anything else would be "sleeping" in the same bed as me.

One of the activities we wanted to do was try the pool. It was in the mid-teens outside and snowing. The indoor pool area was perhaps a little cool, in the mid 70's and the pool water was around 80 degrees. This might be fine in the summer, but I think it should have been a bit warmer for winter visitors. The adjacent spa temperature was as it should be and once in there, I didn't want to go back in the pool. Still my granddaughter had a wonderful time in the main pool and didn't want to leave.

While the hotel appears neat, clean, and orderly, closer inspection reveals things that require maintenance. Many of the thermopane windowns have broken seals, and are sweating internally. The trim on the rooms was a bit worn and in need of paint, the TV was an old fashion 4:3 tube style. I've been in lesser quality hotels and motels that have wide flatscreens. Our bathroom was poorly lit, and while clean looked in need of modernizing. Outside, I noticed that some trim on the outside of the building was missing. It just seemed that a lot of building maintenance was required.

I've since found out that this hotel is transitioning to a Double Tree, and that renovations are underway. We did discover while walking the grandchildren that one wing of the hotel was already blocked off from access.

Would I return there? .......most likely. I am paranoid with bedding, and this place appeared to have clean beds. The adjoining door between rooms allowed our grandchildren to pass back and for between their parents room to keep us company. So the shortcomings of the place wouldn't keep us from returning, and we've already made plans to go back again in 2 months. The city is centrally located between our home and our children's homes, so it's basically only half the normal drive to see them. The price is extremely reasonable, breakfast is well appointed, and the pool was the highlight of the day for our grandkids. We had a relaxing, laid back weekend and enjoyed our stay.
So w

Room Tip: This is a very large Comfort Inn with many rooms. They do have rooms with adjoining doors so you ca...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Keith F, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear MA_Tom,

Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. We appreciated you choosing to stay with us at the Comfort Inn and Suites. So happy to hear you and your grandchildren enjoyed the pool! We strive for excellence in all areas of the hotel, especially cleanliness, and ecstatic that you were pleased with your room. We are in the process of renovations and hope they are completed for your next visit with us. Looking forward to seeing you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I booked this hotel through expedia. It was listed as a 3 star hotel, and provided I had a different room, it probably would be so. There is ample parking and it is at a good location in Rockland County. The lobby is large and inviting with a sitting area and fireplace. I was placed in a handicapped accessible room, located on the "first" floor. The reason why I call it "first" is because the location is actually in a sub-basement. Upon opening the window, I was level with the grass outside, facing the pool area across the way. There was an old fashioned heating/cooling unit located high on the wall, which is in no way handicapped accessible. There was no closet, just a garment rack. The tv is an old tube type, and there were no extra beddings. The room had some worn spots, but it was clean and quiet. The breakfast was included with my price and it was wonderful, plenty of choices available.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear kittykittygrrl,

Thank you for staying with us and providing valuable feedback on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our spacious lobby with the fireplace, as well as our complimentary breakfast every morning. We apologize that you were not satisfied with your room location and will do our best to go above and beyond to make your next stay more enjoyable. We hope you choose to stay with us at the Comfort Inn and Suites in the near future!
Wash DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

A welcome stop after driving up from NYC on a cold rainy winter Sunday. Lily at the front desk was so pleasant and accommodating. She even upgraded our room to a suite when we asked for a King bed! Thank you! Suite was spacious and very comfortable, just what we needed to rest and relax. Hotel is well situated between major highways in the area, very close to shopping areas and restaurants. Free breakfast was great.

Room Tip: Suite was on 1st floor facing parking lot -odd location- but was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Keith F, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear SmartieWashDC,
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. We are happy to hear that the front desk, especially Lilly, made your stay even more pleasant! We are thrilled that we were able to upgrade your room type and it was “just what you needed”. We look forward to your next stay with us at the Comfort Inn and Suites!
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 days after Christmas. Room clean. I would recommend you avoid first floor by meeting rooms. Apparently they book large parties and the noise is loud , only lasts to 11pm. Breakfast was decent. I unfortunately lost my mom during my stay. The staff was unhelpful in helping me w my rate due to this. As an aside I would recommend JetBlue. Jet blue waived over $250, but this hotel couldn't lower room by $40. Take it for what its worth. I paid $60/nt was hoping to stay for $100/nt?

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Palisades Center Mall. It is right up the road. Coming back at night was a little tricky because you could not make a left so we turned around in another shopping plaza. The hotel was especially warm and inviting at the holidays.We checked out the pool area and the gym and they were nice, however we did not use them. There were a couple of wedding and events being held on site with loud music playing. We were on the 2nd floor which is where some of these events were. I was a little leery that we would hear the music inside the rooms, however once inside we hears nothing. The room itself was a little dated. It was clean though. Overall we were happy with the rate and the service. We asked for an extended check-out the next morning and were given it and we also needed additional towels and were handed them right away. Our sink faucet was leaking and I told them at the desk and they were willing to come up right away. I had stated that I put a wash cloth there to absorb the water so it could wait until we left and I just wanted to bring it to their attention and they were grateful. I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Keith F, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Dixiedawni,
Thank you for staying with us during the holidays and leaving helpful feedback. We do host many parties in our banquet rooms and happy to hear the noise did not affect your wonderful stay. Kudos to our staff for being attentive and responding to the leak and extra towels right away. We hope you are able to use the pool and gym during your next visit at the Comfort Inn and Suites.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations. I travel quite and visited my family over the Christmas holiday. The hotel was fantastic, the desk clerks and the manager were excellent. We traveled 12 hours and they allowed us to check in early without penalty AND they even upgraded us. We traveled about a half hour away and stayed at another hotel the next night that was no where near the quality of this hotel, so I actually cancelled the other two nights at different hotels and chose to just stay at this one. They were able to accommodate us. The staff, the food and the cleanliness of this hotel will DEFINITELY make repeat customers out of us.

Room Tip: If you have more than 2 children I would highly recommend upgrading to a suite. There was so much ro...
Dear Christine M,
A 5-star review from a valued guest- what could be better! We are so happy to hear that our staff
was able to accommodate you by extending your stay during the holidays. We are ecstatic that you enjoyed the Windsor Grille, which added to an overall stay that exceeded your expectations. We look forward to your next visit at the Comfort Inn and Suites, and hope to raise the bar even higher!
Leesburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We come here 4 times a year to be with family. Now, the staff has become part of our own family. Great accomodations, free breakfast, fast WiFi, indoor heated pool and hot tub, workout room... we would not change a thing. We have traveled a lot, but this Comfort Inn has a special place in our hearts. Kudos to the entire staff! Special thanks to Jitka and Ashley for endless patience and kindness.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Keith F, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear aleta r, Thank you for taking the time to share you experience at the Comfort Inn & Suites. We are pleased to hear that the accommodations were excellent once again and how much you enjoy our amenities at the hotel. It always a pleasure to have you and your guests stay with us and we look forward to see you again very soon and yes... kudos to Jitka and Ashley. Thank you.

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!