“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Nanuet
Ontario, New York
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I booked this hotel as I stayed here last year and all was well. The weekend started out well as the gentleman at the front desk was very accommodating and secured me a room on the first floor. Unfortunately the good will stopped there. The hotel sidewalks were not cleared of snow and were very icy to the point of being dangerous. My toilet was plugged the first day and maintenance had to be called. The TV in the family room was not getting clear channels on one channel but all others were okay and the TV in the bedroom was okay. ??? The refrigerator made such a rattling noise that I could not sleep and had to unplug it finally. I was disappointed and am a Platinum member...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
David M, Guest Services Representative at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Hello milkeway04,

We would like to thank you for staying with us, taking the time to write your review, and of course for being a Platinum Member! All feedback helps us improve our hotel.

We are happy to hear that you found our front desk agent "accommodating" but disheartened to hear about the inconveniences you experienced.

We are truly sorry about the refrigerator disturbing your sleep. We aim to provide top notch comfort and quality and this standard was obviously not met.

We also apologize for the slippery conditions during your stay. Guest safety is of the utmost importance to our entire staff and our maintenance crews have been working hard to keep our walkways and parking lot area clean and safe.

I have reached out to you via private message to hopefully have the opportunity to gather some more information regarding your stay.

Best Regards,

Dave M.
Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Having to stay at a hotel due to winter weather for a few days, I chose this hotel because of the kitchenette feature. It was nice to have my own kitchen to be able to prepare meals and save money on expensive dining out and not having to travel in bad weather.

The room had a very comfortable feel to it, having a recliner chair was nice although it was tight in the corner next to the bed. The bed was probably the best bed I ever slept in in a hotel. The kitchen was equipped with what you would need to prepare a nice meal except there were no tablespoons. The full size refrigerator was nice and cold, except it cycled on rather frequently and was noisy. I could not figure out how to get the ice maker to work.

There is a commuter train that runs behind the building. I had read reviews on how noisy it was as it blows it whistle every time it crosses the road. I had specifically asked to be in a room away from the train and that request was not honored. But I did not know it until I had settled in and the train passed by and blew its whistle.

The reason for my stay was due to snow and I was disappointed that on the night of the storm, the television reception went out. I think the hotel should use cable service not satellite TV. The desk said they were aware and working on it, but the signal never returned. I did have my tablet with me and was happy the free WiFi didn't go out, so I was able to get my own updates.

I also found out that the preset buttons on the phone did not work, when I pushed the 24hr help button and nothing happened. So I had to go down to the lobby to inquire about the television situation and mentioned the button situation on the phone and was told that they are not hooked up and you have to dial 0 to get the front desk.

On the second day of my wintery stay when I returned back to the hotel in the middle of the afternoon, I found the parking lot was barely plowed out. A section in the back of the hotel was partially cleared so I parked there, but the alternate entrances to the hotel were not shoveled so I had to walk entirely around the property on icy/snowy ground to the front entrance. It wasn't much better the next morning, but luckily the sun was out.

Despite the weather related issues, I found this hotel to be a very comfortable, home away from home.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
David M, Guest Services Representative at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hello SIGIRL_NY,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write your review!

We are happy to hear that you found our beds comfortable and the amenities within convenient, we aim to provide a "home away from home" feeling especially when inclement weather hits.

We sincerely apologize about the technical issues our television service experienced during your stay. Unfortunately, the severe snow storm did cause some signal issues and while we were in constant contact with our provider there was not much they were able to do until the weather improved.

The weather also had an averse affect on our cleanup ability. Our response time was longer than usual due to the amount of snow on that date. We are sorry for the inconvenience and are discussing ways to improve during severe weather.

We have taken note of your feedback and are very appreciative. All responses help us improve our hotel and your comments have been passed to the appropriate departments.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Best Regards,

Dave M.
Guest Services
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Hotel was clean and staff were friendly. I read the review before booking hotel and no one mentioned the hotel sits in front of the Amtrak train tracks!! I bit noisy on the back side of the hotel (where my room was) and the 5:35am train has a rather loud whistle! Person I traveled with has a front room and did not hear the train.

The bed was squeaky and the lounge chair was in pretty rough shape but I didn't use the chair. Shower was warm and parking was great and safe.

Room Tip: Stay on front side of hotel away from the train tracks behind the building.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hendersonville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We booked this hotel because it was less expensive than the Hampton Inn or other name brand hotels. The room itself was new and clean and lacked nothing for comfort. But, that said, when you first come into the building you have to be "buzzed" in. That was not pleasant. The desk staff in the evening and the morning were most helpful. But, the next time, I think we will pay another thirty dollars or so just to have that comfy, cozy feeling in the hotel lobby.

Room Tip: Ask to sleep on the second floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Kathleen891,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so pleased you liked the room accommodations you had. Please allow us to apologize for the experience you had during check-in. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kennebunkport, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Hotel staff were fantastic and the room was comfortable but the heater kept turning over all night and the freezer was making a horrible noise which kept us awake all night. Dog friendly and the right location for visiting our family for a night but definitely not perfect. Needs a little TLC.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear GailHack,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted to hear your positive feedback on our hotel staff and comfortable room accommodations. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and superior accommodations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay in particular with the noise coming from the heater. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Positives: location, large room with kitchen amenities.

Negatives: disorganized and unhelpful staff. House cleaning service is nonexistent. I had to switch rooms twice because of cleanliness. The furniture in both rooms (chairs & couches) were falling apart They are in desperate need of a renovation!

• Stayed January 2014
David M, Guest Services Representative at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello Lambo448,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the size of our rooms and our overall location.

We are sorry that the furnishings in your room were not up to par. We are aware that some of our chairs are starting to show signs of wear and tear and we've already begun process of replacing them.

Our staff works hard to provide a top notch experience for all guests and we apologize that this expectation was not met while you were with us.

I have reached out to you via private message to hopefully have the opportunity to discuss your stay further.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again!

Dave M
Guest Services Representative

Travelers are raving about these Nanuet hotels

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is a convenient location to get down to the city or up to visit the Hudson Valley. There is a Costco, Target and Wells Fargo behind the hotel and a brand new Fairway grocery a mile up the street next to nice shops with a theater. The hotel has all of the conveniences for long-term stays at a reasonable price as the other reviews state.

My issue is with HK. After an easy check-in I was surprised to find my room had not been properly cleaned since the last guest. Full garbage can under the bath sink and body hair all over the coverlet. Although FD apologized and happily offered to move me to another room, I had already cleaned all of the surfaces and partially unpacked, so I just dealt with it. My Clorox wipes proved that all of the surfaces were filthy (see photo) and the floor had not been vacuumed.

Considering that HK only clean (occupied) CWS rooms once every week and this no-frills property has a lower turnover than most standard business brands, HK should have the time and energy to be more attentive to the few details that they do have to attend to.

The bed was sagging in the middle but the linens were decent quality. Priority members shouldn't expect to have any of your preferences acknowledged beforehand, so if you want feather-free pillows you will have to request them after check-in. The first coffee pack is included, after that they are .50 a piece, but there is a coffee machine downstairs that offers it free by the cup. It is always convenient when the hotel has a laundry and their machines are free which is a nice bonus.

Please note that I am in the hospitality industry and much more fastidious than the average guest. Although I believe that my complaints are valid, I also think that this hotel is a great option for the budget-minded traveler that prefers to stay on the west side of the river for extended periods.

Room Tip: First floor allows pets, third (top) floor unbelievably allows smokers. Second floor was quiet and n...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Hello Aprestour,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write your review.

We are very happy to hear that you found the location of our hotel convenient and our front desk staff friendly.

We are very sorry to hear that there was an issue regarding the cleanliness of your room. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to uphold the utmost quality of cleanliness in all rooms and we apologize this standard was not met during your stay.

The information you have given has been passed to the appropriate department.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Dave M
Guest Services Representative

Been to Candlewood Suites - Nanuet? Share your experiences!