“Wow! A must see!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The park's 400 acres include more than 120 sculptures, 13 by American master David Smith.
New York
6 attraction reviews
“Wow! A must see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Only an hour north of the best museums in the world in NYC, this country retreat, which houses some of the world's greatest sculptures, is worth a day trip from anywhere in the northeast.

The setting is idyllic - a former grand estate of a wealthy robber baron type who was an art aficionado. The grounds are magnificent, as is the main house ... but the sculptures are the star of the show. Huge pieces set into these rolling meadows literally take your breath away. Calder, Moore, etc. are all well represented. The most striking thing - other than the obvious, which are the beautiful sculptures themselves, is the way they are set among the landscape to highlight them in the best possible way. The curation is magnificent.

You can stroll around the 500 acres of this outdoor museum to your heart's content. Alternately, if you want to pace yourself, there is a tram which drives around regularly, stops at the key pieces and has a running audio commentary on what you're seeing.

This is a must see if you're a sculpture aficionado or even if you're just looking for a lovely spot to sit on the ground and have a peaceful picnic lunch. The tram makes it family friendly as well and there's enough wide open space that children can run around but not annoy the people that are just there to see the art.

One warning: there are some marshy lowlands on this property, which is only a few miles west of the Hudson River. You'll see the stands of cattails here and there. Unfortunately that makes it very buggy at certain times of year. When we were there in May, there were swarms of gnats - not biting but definitely annoying, divebombing our heads. Wear shoes, not sandals and long pants if you're going there during a buggy time of year.

oneida NY
11 attraction reviews
“Lots of Monumental Art”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Easily visible from the NY Thruway North Bound, this primarily outdoor museum offers acres of surprises, and may even change the minds of those who "don't like modern art." This summer they have an exhibit by Zhang Ruang (sp?). I always enjoy Calder, David Smith, and multiple others. I lived most of my adult life in Cornwall, but re-located to Central NY 10 years ago. I visit when I can. The monumental sculptures are so beautiful, and some are kinetic as well. Go and enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
“Special Place - Rent the bikes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Storm King is like a living version of the game, Shadow of the Colossus. You cross this massive landscape and slowly, these seemingly normal distant visages gain in size and scope as you approach. The sculptures are just beyond anything I have seen in one location and the property is the perfect background. The landscape mixes obvious locations and plenty of hidden gems (encouraging exploration of the grounds).

The real difference for my experience was renting the bike. Not that I would have disliked walking but as a first time visitor, I was able to tour the grounds in 2 hours. Then after, I had my bearings down for what I wanted to walk back to.

New York City, New York
11 attraction reviews
“NOT a walk in the Park”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

In short: If you are looking for an art museum great - yay for you. If you are like us; want to have a picnic with friends, this place is too expensive and you will be surrounded by clouds of flies to the point you will skip the picnic.

In detail: Adjusting expectations is maybe the main reason for this lukewarm review. We (two families with kids) wanted to meet for a picnic, and have a nice walk in the park. Sure we could have gone to any city park (Slope, Corona, Central?!), or Wave Hill or the even Bethpage on the island. But we figured walking around art sounds fun.
But Storm King thinks of itself first as an outdoors art museum with art museum pricing $15/adult $8/child. Yes that is $46 for a family of 4.
The walk could have been fun if not for the swarms of flies clouding my vision to the point that I inhaled/breath them. At this point I was done with this place.

We found a spot where we could sit for a few minutes and left as fast as we could. Luckily Stew Leonard's is on the way so we stopped for early dinner there.

Be sure to know what to expect - bring a pint of OFF! and a mesh hat.

Portage, Indiana, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Great outdoor activity for the whole family!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Its been a few years since i have been there but, still remember so well. The whole place is fascinating with many different types of art. A great place for many photo opportunities. The mirrored fence was one of my favorite display.

Visited May 2013