“Fresh” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   5355 Route 212, Mount Tremper, NY 12457   |
Brooklyn, New York
“Fresh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I hestitate to write this because I'd love to keep this for myself and my husband but that would be unfair to Rose and Peter, our hosts at Catskill Rose. As an avid gardener, I appreciated the gardens both the flowers, which we enjoyed again in a nice arrangement in the dining room and the rather large vegetable garden, which we dined on kale, lettuce, radish and snap peas with dinner. Actually as we were strolling the vegetable garden Peter was smoking his ducks. He graciously took the time to explain the process and shared his "secret" to the most delicious smoked duckling that we had at dinner. We were in the Catskills mainly for hiking the Overlook and Mt. Tremper trails. After cleaning up and before dinner we relaxed in the vegetable garden on a patio for two. Dinner included succulent pork cheeks with pickled onion, apple slices and potato bread, a delicious potato wild leek soup which I preferred chilled though you could order it hot, a fresh salad including the first tomatoes from the garden, and the smoked duck with wild rice pilaf and blackberry sauce. Cherry financier with an awesome brandied cherry ice cream followed as dessert. Our room was spotlessly clean with no clutter with many thoughtful touches. We slept great whether from the hike or the bed we don't know. We ate really good scones for breakfast which I warmed in the microwave and had our coffee on our personal porch. We do not care who sees us in our robes in the morning! We will definitely come back hopefully for more than two days next time.

Room Tip: don;t forget to hike Mount Tremper, the firetower is cool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stay at the Catskill Rose whenever we visit the Catskills. Very tidy, neat as a pin and clean as a whistle. The bed suits us as does the entire room. Lodging can be sketchy in the Catskills, one place we used to stay at has plastic that kept me awake all night on the mattress and the sound of mice, another had no TVs which is ridiculous in the winter, are we to go to bed at sundown? Nevermind, I am not one to give bad reviews to small businesses obviously trying their best. We first stayed at Catskill Rose for a week two years ago, we were pleased. There are scones, especially love the apricot, my husband likes the chocolate (not at breakfast) with a beer! We were here again just last weekend and they are putting in a swimming pool. Dinner is very good, the menu is different from the run of the mill places and everything we have tried is well thought out and cooked perfectly. Great little place that lets us be. We love it. If we need anything in our room we just leave a note and it appears when housekeeping goes through the room. The chef was making popsicles when we checked in and gave us a sample, lemon kiwi and chocolate caramel. So good, such a nice couple. This is an adult place, just four rooms. As much as I love our grandkids, this is a nice bonus especially considering that pool.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

It's never a good sign when you walk into a guest room to find the remnants of previous visitors. We found a hairclip on the table right by the door, a pair of socks & empty plastic bag in the drawer, chapstick under the night stand & a long hair (not ours) on the shower wall. There was a light bulb out over the bed. There were no comfortable chairs to sit & relax & read, so I brought my own folding chair in from my vehicle. I don't mind simple & even spartan, but this was not an attractive room. It's amazing how online photos can make things look much nicer than reality. The advertising describes a provided in room breakfast. We were shocked when we were told that this consists of a plastic tub of hard as a rock scones & two chocolate cookies that had turned white with age & too cold a temperature that were in the little refrigerator in the room. Coffee was do it yourself from generic coffee packs & a small coffee maker. The fruit was two apples. No butter, jam, milk or creamer was provided. This is hands down the strangest provided breakfast I have ever encountered. All this for nearly $150. for our one night visit. We couldn't leave fast enough the next morning & couldn't help but notice that we had been the only overnight guests. My partner & I kept wondering why the proprietors didn't take the few extra, inexpensive steps to make this a special place to stay. How hard would it be to deliver a pot of hot coffee & a basket of warmed muffins to a room in the morning? Either they just don't get it, or the lodging is very low on their list of priorities. Mostly, it seemed like they were trying to get away with charging as much as they could while providing as little as possible. One wonders how many guests return for the lodging. I notice that many of the other Trip Advisor reviews are for just the restaurant. Make no mistake - there is a huge gap in quality between the two. We ate our dinner there because of all the positive restaurant reviews. Aside from the fact that we sat at the table 80 minutes before our entrée was served, the food was ok - perhaps some of the other choices would have been better than ours. The flourless chocolate cake & homemade ginger ice cream & cappuccino was spectacular. How ironic that the same chefs capable of preparing this, would think that the hard as a rock in room scones would be remotely appealing.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

What a pleasant surprise! The food at the mountain gem was absolutely delicious ... nicely prepared, fresh, local, and done just right. The goose special was incredible and was served with a nice assortment of vegetables (a bit of beets, some brussel sprouts, squash puree) ... the other diners in our party enjoyed their meals, too. A definite place to return (and perhaps next time we'll stay in the inn).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The rooms here are nicely appointed and extremely comfortable. The scenery around the place is breathtaking. The winding roads in the area reveal a never ending stage of babbling brooks, mountains, and wooded foliage.

As nice as the rooms are, the restaurant is even better. The fresh ingredients are combined to make the most enticing meals I've ever seen. The smoked duck salad is a particular favorite but every meal we've had there has had great presentation and has tasted wonderful. I loved the swordfish with pesto and my wife couldn't stop raving about her smoked trout. The best part about staying here is it provides time to explore the other great sounding dishes which make choosing just one entree so hard.

This is our one must-visit place in the Hudson Valley anytime we're close enough to stop by.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Red Hook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

An intimate dining room that is simple but nice. I read a review that said the decor would stop them from coming back that stumped me. Wood tables and window trim, pale yellow and green with high end metallic wallpaper. Totally uncluttered with a few painting on the walls. Obviously not at the Ritz but extremely pleasant and relaxing. The food was stellar and a real surprise considering the location. This place is WAY underrated. Again some of the reviews were bizarre. We enjoyed a chilled green garlic soup that was smooth without the bite that garlic sometime has and the spiced lamb meatballs in cured tomato with harissa and charred onions that absolutely delicious.Next we delved into smoked trout salad with garlic potatoes, lemony cole slaw and crispy picked beets, a chopped spinach salad that was rough chopped with hunks of bleu cheese, sliced egg, smoky bacon and sauteed shitake mushrooms.The trout was boneless,tender and moist, truly one of the best I have had and the spinach was maple sweet with cheese and bacon salty which I could ear everyday. For dinner we ordered the pork shank with bourbon sauce and sage mustard witch was braised, smoked and fell off the bone and the roasted chicken breast with pancetta and garlic confit. Both the sauces were rich in flavor and complexity. I had wheat bulgar flavored with red peppers, onion and bacon, My companion was served creamy soft polenta with her chicken dish. Again delicious. We ordered just one dessert the bourbon banana bread pudding with ginger ice cream. Best bread pudding. Really. I will enthusiastically return as it was definitely worth the trip hands down, again and again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Tremper, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I live in the area and have had some wonderful meals and enjoyed the serene and beautiful ambience at Catskill Rose. Last week we had a family reunion and we needed to find rooms for several family members. I booked a room for my daughter and her husband They absolutely loved it. Couldn't say enough good things about how special it was, how clean it was and how comfortable they were. They are not easy to please so I know it had to be beyond average.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
4.0 of 5 stars 62 reviews
Pine Hill Arms Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Catskill Rose Lodging & Dining? Share your experiences!