“Favorite place in the Hudson Valley” 5 of 5 stars

You added Catskill Rose Lodging & Dining to your Saves list
Catskill Rose Lodging & Dining
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   5355 Route 212, Mount Tremper, NY 12457   |
Reston, Virginia
“Favorite place in the Hudson Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The rooms here are nicely appointed and extremely comfortable. The scenery around the place is breathtaking. The winding roads in the area reveal a never ending stage of babbling brooks, mountains, and wooded foliage.

As nice as the rooms are, the restaurant is even better. The fresh ingredients are combined to make the most enticing meals I've ever seen. The smoked duck salad is a particular favorite but every meal we've had there has had great presentation and has tasted wonderful. I loved the swordfish with pesto and my wife couldn't stop raving about her smoked trout. The best part about staying here is it provides time to explore the other great sounding dishes which make choosing just one entree so hard.

This is our one must-visit place in the Hudson Valley anytime we're close enough to stop by.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Red Hook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

An intimate dining room that is simple but nice. I read a review that said the decor would stop them from coming back that stumped me. Wood tables and window trim, pale yellow and green with high end metallic wallpaper. Totally uncluttered with a few painting on the walls. Obviously not at the Ritz but extremely pleasant and relaxing. The food was stellar and a real surprise considering the location. This place is WAY underrated. Again some of the reviews were bizarre. We enjoyed a chilled green garlic soup that was smooth without the bite that garlic sometime has and the spiced lamb meatballs in cured tomato with harissa and charred onions that absolutely delicious.Next we delved into smoked trout salad with garlic potatoes, lemony cole slaw and crispy picked beets, a chopped spinach salad that was rough chopped with hunks of bleu cheese, sliced egg, smoky bacon and sauteed shitake mushrooms.The trout was boneless,tender and moist, truly one of the best I have had and the spinach was maple sweet with cheese and bacon salty which I could ear everyday. For dinner we ordered the pork shank with bourbon sauce and sage mustard witch was braised, smoked and fell off the bone and the roasted chicken breast with pancetta and garlic confit. Both the sauces were rich in flavor and complexity. I had wheat bulgar flavored with red peppers, onion and bacon, My companion was served creamy soft polenta with her chicken dish. Again delicious. We ordered just one dessert the bourbon banana bread pudding with ginger ice cream. Best bread pudding. Really. I will enthusiastically return as it was definitely worth the trip hands down, again and again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Tremper, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I live in the area and have had some wonderful meals and enjoyed the serene and beautiful ambience at Catskill Rose. Last week we had a family reunion and we needed to find rooms for several family members. I booked a room for my daughter and her husband They absolutely loved it. Couldn't say enough good things about how special it was, how clean it was and how comfortable they were. They are not easy to please so I know it had to be beyond average.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place has a charming restaurant. Having a home in the local area I've never experienced the B&B side but it has a great local reputation. My review is for the restaurant only. When you arrive follow the path around to the dining room. The owners have done marvels with the gardens. I was part of a large group giving a farewell party for the pastor of our local church. We had twelve on a Sunday afternoon and the owner was gracious enough to open a little early to accommodate our group. Every member of our group raved about the food. Not one negative comment. Personally my meal started with a wonderfully fresh salad followed by a perfectly done scollop dish and a rhubarb cobbler with homemade strawberry ice cream on top. It was fantastic. The owners have an active garden that supplies the freshest ingredients and garnish. I saw one of my fellow diners enjoying a pork shank that looked mouth watering. I also heard the salmon was superb. Owner Peter is well known in the community and knows how to treat the locals as well as his new B&B guests. They have a beautiful patio dining area where you will be surrounded by flowers. There is a full bar with a nice wine selection. Seek out this gem, it is worth the trip.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Rio Hondo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our first anniversary weekend getaway. Mt. Tremper is conveniently located between Woodstock and Phoenicia and alongside Esopus Creek. We are not fans of your typical B&B -- awkward breakfast conversations with strange people, thin bedroom walls, etc. The rooms at the Catskill Rose each have their own small porch and entry; there is no common space unless you count the restaurant/garden, which were closed during our stay in late April. My husband did not get cell phone reception (AT&T) and I was able to make phone calls with mine (Sprint). The rooms are immaculate -- a large, comfortable bed greets you and there is a small dining table for two with a basket of fruit. You have a spacious dresser and TV/stand, a coffee maker, a small fridge and a microwave with plates and silverware and coffee cups. The bathrooms are clean with a shower only. They also provide you with shampoo/shower gel and hand soap via dispensers on the walls. The internet connection was spotty at best. We were allowed to check in an hour early or so and the fridge contained several tasty scones that we ate for breakfast the next morning before a hike. The owners were not around for check-out, but we were able to drop off our keys. Because of the location, the cleanliness, the comfort and the privacy, we would certainly consider staying here again! We would also recommend a trip to nearby Phoenicia -- while you're there, check out Brio's! Large portions and tasty food!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I value comfort and cleanliness above all when I stay away from home, and the Catskill Rose exceeded all of my expectations. The bed was so comfy, and the pillows were incredibly comfortable. The room and bathroom were impeccably clean, and the bathroom was very roomy. Then there was the food---absolutely some of the best food I've ever eaten (dinner) and the scones for breakfast were divine. Also, the location is perfect. Finally, Peter was a wonderful host.

Room Tip: We stayed in room No. 1
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I went to the catskills looking for a nice place to spend some days with my husband, we wanted to ski, hike and spend some nights together, and we made the best decision when decided to stay at the catskills rose, we had the best time ever! the catskill rose is a beautiful, quiet and very clean place. We had fresh fruit and delicious scones in the morning! Dinner is cooked by peter and rose so everything is fresh and delicately done. The room was fantastic and to stay here you dont need a car, although it might be useful you can still move by bus.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
4.0 of 5 stars 62 reviews
Pine Hill Arms Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Catskill Rose Lodging & Dining? Share your experiences!