“What an AMAZING place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Emerson Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Save Saved
You added Emerson Resort & Spa to your Saves list
5340 Route 28, Mount Tremper, NY 12457   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Greenwich, Connecticut, United States
“What an AMAZING place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

So I must say that there are many times that I am pleasantly supprised in my life but this hotel surprised me and made me love it before I even got there, and did it in a way that I am not used to. I was heading up to the area to visit Woodstock and wanted to spend a nice long weekend with my girlfriend so I thought of the Emerson as I have driven past it several times. I booked it on line which was easy for Saturday thru Monday and then later on we decided we wanted to go up on friday as well. I booked a Regal Suite at the adults only inn (not the lodge) for those 2 nights but when I went to add the extra night I couldn't because there was a wedding there that weekend and they only had a top of the line room which was way out of my price range. I called the next day and spoke to the reservations manager, who was sooooo nice and very friendly. He told me that he would look into some options for me and he then put me in the same upgraded room we had for the original 2 nights for my additional night and only charged me a week day rate rather than a weekend rate to help me save some money. This was above and beyond and made me love the Emerson before I even arrived. I was truly blown away by how nice he was. When we got there, everything got even better. The Inn is beautiful and decorated in a hip Moroccan style with retro art. The room, well I thought I had died and gone to heaven. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in and the linens were super soft. The room was beautify decorated with a comfy couch, table, lounge chairs and a gas fireplace that was instant on so we enjoyed it 2 nights when it got chilly out. We had our own deck that you could hear the Esopus river right behind the units. The bathroom, well the bathroom was the icing on the cake! I am not someone who really cares about a bathroom as long as the water is hot and the toilet doesn't run, but this one made me rethink what a bathroom should be. It had a 2 person jaccuzi tub (and a real 2 people not 2 sardines in a can) with plenty of hot water. The shower was a Swedish walk in shower with water heads what came from 5 different locations. I think I showers or soaked in the tub 4 times a day simply because it was so nice. We did not eat at the restaurants at the hotel (there are 2 on the property) as we love to go eat all of the organic yummies they have in Woodstock. I thought the weekend might be loud because of the wedding party but we didn't her a peep. The spa at the resort was excellent as well and we took a yoga class one afternoon which was very very good, and peaceful because of the setting. The resort has some great places for a morning walk along the Esopus river right behind it that we enjoyed every morning as we strolled with our morning coffee made right in our room with the Keureg brewer. On the whole I think that this is one of the best hotels I have stayed at both for their excellent customer service all the way around, and for the comfort and relaxation we found in every aspect of the hotel. The only thing I would change (and I am reaching to find something here) would be to add shades or curtains in the room on the two upper windows above the fireplace as I could black out the room except for those two windows. Again, I am nit picking here only because it's the only minor thing I could find on an amazing resort, stay and truly wonderful experience. The Emerson will always be my first choice when I go up to the catskill region again. Thank you to all of the staff there and especially the reservations manager for making our trip truly memorable.

Room Tip: If you are going as a couple or going with friends stay at the Inn since it is adults only a sooooo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at the Emerson Inn (not the Lodge). I can't say enough good things about this place. The beds were incredibly comfortable. The room had so many great things: Fireplace with couches, table and chairs, Keurig coffee maker, a really reasonable minibar, a deck and balcony. The bathroom was really fabulous as well, the shower was amazing with water coming from above and from the sides. The jacuzzi tub can fit two, relatively fit people easily and fills quickly. The decor is really interesting: it's all inspired by Asian temples. The woodwork is really beautiful and it's clear that the renovation was really clued into making the details count. Everyone we met was so helpful and friendly. We even took a reasonably price yoga class for an hour. Hot tub is nice. The 'world's largest' Kaleidoscope show is interesting to see and free if you stay at the hotel. Needless to say, the Emerson is not just a hotel: there are stores, classes, and it's a short walk from the Esopus River which is so nice to walk along. The manager, Dave, also helped us out tremendously, making me think that they really want us to be satisfied.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I spent the weekend here with my husband and dog (yes, they are dog friendly!) to attend my friend's wedding. We opted to stay in one of the cabins vs the inn -- good call. The rooms were spacious (2 levels), huge bathroom, living room area and king size bed. I also liked that it was away from the main inn. My husband and I didn't mind walking back and forth from the inn because the grounds are so lovely.

The fact that they are dog friendly is a huge plus for us. My furry friend enjoyed the dog park and was even allowed inside the buildings (except restaurants of course!).

While there I enjoyed a spa treatment which was very relaxing although i will say that they should opt for 60 minute treatments rather than a 50 minute spa treatment. Another 10 minutes would have been perfect.

While there stop at Sweet Sue's in Phoenicia for breakfast and be sure to stop by by Bread Alone for the most amazing homemade bread.

Room Tip: The rooms in the cabins are more rustic vs the rooms in the inn which are fancier.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Stayed in the main building. Top of the line 2 story room was very spacious but rather clinical. Stayed mid week in May so a great deal, not sure we would pay the weekend price as we were not interested in the spa. Not a lot a choice in the area.

Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I am so surprised to read bad reviews of the Emerson. My friend and I have met there twice over the last year for a girl's getaway and had great stays both times. We stayed in the lodge and found the room to be quaint, comfy beds, fluffly towels, clean and comfortable. Yes it fronts the road but it's not like a major highway with constant traffic. Noise was minimal. All the spa services I've had (facial, massage, body scrub) were top notch. All staff were friendly and helpful. The setting is beautiful. Go to Woodstock (about 15 minute ride) for many dining choices (highly recommend The Bear Cafe) and if you like a scenic walk, head over to Ashokan Reservoir (also about 15 min ride) for spectacular views and nice paved pathway. Had breakfast at the Phoenix and food and service both very good. We will definitely return again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
MrktingDirctr, Director of Sales at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
It's great to hear you enjoyed your visits and that our spa services, accommodations, and customer service have earned your praise. I am especially pleased you have ventured beyond our property to experience some of the wonderful sights and tastes Ulster County, the Catskills, and the Hudson Valley have to offer. If you come back during the warm summer months, be sure and ask our front desk staff about our favorite local swimming holes.
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I have to admit it. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the Emerson. My wife and I spontaneously decided to take a birthday weekend at a destination spa place. We live in New York City and really had no idea what we were trying to do. But it was a great choice and easy to get to from NYC. We read some mixed reviews, but I can say that the place surprised me. We stayed in a Royal Suite (or whatever it's called). The room was great. It's huge, actually, with a gas fireplace, flat screen TV, nice king bed, and a great bathroom. The shower rocked, and I normally could not care less about that. I also got a hot stone massage at the spa. While the facilities are not huge, they were very nice. The locker room is small, and there's not too much else in the spa, but there seemed to be a decent number of treatment rooms and the treatment room I was in was very nice. For an inn, the gym was actually impressive. I didn't use it, but checked it out.

We at dinner at the Phoenix (or whatever it's called). I thought the restaurant was very nice. The food was okay. The service was weird. Everyone was nice, but there was no one to greet us when we arrived. When we were seated, we were ignored. The hostess took a drink order since the waitress hadn't arrived. Still no waitress, so we asked the hostess for help so we could order, and the hostess acted like something was wrong with us for asking to order our food. She wasn't rude about it, but it was borderline and just weird. After our meal, we asked someone for dessert. Before ordering dessert, the waitress brought us a check without asking us if we wanted dessert. Again, everyone was nice but it was just weird service. Anyway, I enjoyed it in spite of that. Just an FYI.

The weather was rainy, so we went into Woodstock on Saturday and Phoenicia on Sunday. Not so much to do in each town those days, but it was fun to just walk around and get some food locally.

I read reviews of the Lodge. I can't say I know anything about the Lodge, but the Inn was really nice. I would go back in a second. It's definitely a spot that will be considered again for a quick weekend getaway.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
MrktingDirctr, Director of Sales at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 28, 2012
Our warmest, though a bit belated, birthday wishes to you. On behalf of the team here at the Emerson, we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Your experience at the Phoenix unfortunately reflects our still working out the kinks from a recent change in management and staff. We are aware of the gaps in service and working hard to get better every day.

What was most disappointing was our not connecting you with something wonderful, fun, and interesting in this area. We believe the Catskills, the Hudson Valley, Ulster County are filled with amazing people and pursuits. And while we do not have certain activities on-site, our concierge and front desk staff are happy to connect you with the information and people you need to enjoy hiking, music, kayaking, horseback riding, art studio tours, golf, and all the other wonderful adventures Ulster County and the Catskills offer. Please be sure to speak with our front desk team next time you are here.
Rye, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

My beloved and I stayed here for one night in March and it was a really lovely experience allround. We booked a lodge room which was very nicely laid out! The rooms are spacious and fresh and the bed was one of the most comfortable beds either of us have ever slept in with crisp white linen - perfect ingredients for a deep peaceful sleep. We took the short walk to the main hotel and were disappointed to find out that the restaurant was closed that weekend due to a private reservation. We didn't let that deter us from enjoying such a tranquil spot and we had dinner nearby in Phoenicia and later went to a nearby bar to meet some people we know and here some live music. We will definitely come back again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!