“AMAZING! Doesn't get better than this...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Emerson Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
You added Emerson Resort & Spa to your Saves list
5340 Route 28, Mount Tremper, NY 12457   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Nutley, New Jersey
“AMAZING! Doesn't get better than this...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

The Emerson Resort & Spa is amazing! It is one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. I am very picky and pay much attention to detail and I have nothing negative to say about these luxuriously appointed rooms. The rooms are decorated in a Moroccan theme with a modern, warm feel. The room is very large, with a fireplace, a balcony, a wine refrigerator, a regular refrigerator fully stocked with liquor, juice, water and sodas.
The same attention to detail and luxury can be seen in the bathroom as well. The large, soaking, jetted tub was relaxing and very clean. The separate shower is a Vichy- overhead and side jets. The towels are plush and top of the line.
The maid came twice a day to tidy up room and replenish towels, etc. Note, this was a holiday weekend and the service was great and consistent.
I called the day before arrival and asked for an early check-in and Shona at the front desk assisted with pleasure. We were able to check in to our room and have full use of all the resort's facilities at no charge by noon. I also requested a late check out 11pm the night before we were scheduled to leave. By the time I woke up and called down to the front desk, Shona, had arranged for us to have a 3pm check-out! Again, this was a holiday weekend and and the resort was at a full capacity but the customer service was warm, attentive and consistent. The other reviews I have read noted that the customer service was lacking- if there were kinks, there are absolutely none now.
The Spa is decorated in a moccoran feel as well and is relaxing and is deserving of the accredition. The staff was professional, helpful and attentive to the needs of myself and my boyfriend. The women's locker room was brand new, clean large Kohler showers, sauna and steam and had full array of products from lotions to hair products.
The Phoenix restaurant is a stand out and compares to those in Manhattan. The attention to detail in the food, the service the decor is apparent immediately. We had a great waiter, John, who happened to serve us both nights of our stay. He remembered what foods we were interested in trying, etc. The bartender, Theresa, remembered our drink order from the previous night and knew not to add fruit to cocktails without even seeing us. This may not seem like something to note, but these are just some of the personal touches and attention to detail that you will receive at this resort. The food has some asian flair and dishes are delicious. The sunday brunch has a large variety of sumptuous foods as well. The buffet breakfast is perfect- all the staples including low fat options.
In previous reviews, I have noticed travelers' negative opinions of the resort. Many of these traveler's were staying at the Lodge which is not connected to the resort (short walking distance away) and is an older property built around 1970's. It is an adirondack style- not luxurious accomodations. It is family friendly and the Catamount restaurant is very cozy, but not "chic" at all and isn't trying to be. The Inn at the Resort is all new and is chic, well decorated with the best furniture, etc imported from all over the world.
The Resort is located between magnificent mountains and the Esopos Creek runs behind the whole length of the resort. The sound is relaxing and adds to the charm of this resort.
If you are looking for a relaxing weekend getaway with a wonderful spa and luxurious accomodations and fine dining- this is it. I hope to be back at the Emerson very soon!

• Liked — The luxurious inn rooms, impeccable service, spa
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
brooklyn, ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2008

Our room at the lodge cost well over $200 with all taxes and charges. For that cost I expect that if a website touts free high speed wireless internet access as one of its many amenities that there will be. I had no cell phone or Blackberry service so this was a major inconvenience. When I went to inquire about it at the front desk I was told that access was only available in the main building we were standing in. I said to the woman that I was fairly certain that the website state that wi-fi was available in all the rooms which she told me was not the case and that I was getting the Lodge and the "Resort" confused. I was under the impression that the Resort was the collective name and didn't just pertain to the fancier Inn. Either way, internet access is clearly listed on the site as one of the IN-ROOM amenities, along with "plush slippers" (never saw these, not that I would have used them) and "Kama in-room bath amenities."

About these bath amenities, I was rather shocked to find that the toiletries left in the room had clearly been used. One of the bottles was half full and if that didn't give it away, certainly the residue left around the screw tops of the other bottles certainly did. This is the first time I've ever experienced this and made me question just how thoroughly my room had been cleaned and checked.

The walls are super thin - I could hear every car door that opened and closed and the television from next door. In the bathroom, I could hear word for word the conversation our neighbors were having.

I would suggest that the Emerson install extra lights to further illuminate the way from the Lodge area to the Inn. I stayed there on a rainy night and walking along a muddy, dark path to get to a spa treatment was not the most pleasant experience.

That said, my massage was great. I did have to change in and out of my shoes in check-in area outside the locker rooms which I found a little odd.

Emailed the resort about my disappointing stay nearly 2 weeks and have not heard back.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LONG ISLAND, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

My 2 girlfriends and myself had appointments for spa manicures, spa pedicures and back facial treatments at the Emerson Spa this past weekend.We all three had the exact same procedures booked but since they had to take two at a time, one of us had to wait. It's hard to believe, but since the one who had to wait, switched with one of us because she was already undressed & in her robe, it threw the entire spa staff into such a tizzy that one of my friends left without polish on her toenails (no time to finish!) and my other friend could not get her manicure AT ALL !

NO ONE at the Spa Registration desk (they seemed so dim) told us that if we switched people we would throw all of the plans for our special day off kilter and in the end they lost out on charging us for a service we came for, and no one got extra tips.

In all honesty, the price for the spa manicure & spa pedicure (a total of $110) was nothing short of armed robbery. I have received better manicures & pedicures from the local nail places for $25 ! Nothing special in the way of service from the nail techs. Of course, the ambiance is wonderful, but not worth that much money; I expected a really amazing experience, it wasn't.

The sad part is that they seemed to blame us for all that went wrong, and could really care less. The "manager" even came into the treatment room and had the nerve to ask if we wanted to see her schedule so we can see how things got thrown off. Of course, they said this was not the norm there, but I doubt that. This is a beautiful place, but the people running it are clueless and can't handle a simple change like that without ruining our experience there. It's seems amazing to me that they were so incompetent, but it's obvious some of the staff there need retraining.

• Liked — beautiful & clean
  • Disliked — front desk staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

Stayed for a few days, thought we were staying at a high end property since it was $355 per night plus another 20 with tax room was ok but niothing really to brag. Shower didnt work.. Rude on Checkin, indifferent restaurant staff. No Indoor Pool. Says its kid friendly but if you have kids you are shuttled into a cave of a dining room. Breakfast was the only thing good about this place. because of the rude and indifferent treatment we cancelled our spa treatments which would have easily added another thoiusand dollars to the bill. Dont waste you money at this place it is not close to being worth it. We never complain about this stuff but this place got under my skin I will never again set fooot near this place and I have stayed in great properties around the workd.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — terrible servicee and indifferent staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2007

While looking for Catskill accomodations on line we were impressed with the Emerson's website. It appeared to be a modern and upscale resort as opposed to much older motel courts and cottages we came across for the same area. We were not disappointed! The Emerson is truly a gem in the midst of the Catskill High Peaks! We stayed in a Lodge room which was new, very spacious and decorated appropriately in mountain/Adirondack style decor. There was a dvd player which worked out well for our children since there is nothing to do and nowhere to go in that area at night. However, during the day we were quite busy right on the Emerson property! We fished in the beautiful Esopus Creek, swam in the outdoor pool, checked out the shops and kaleiodscope, and had afternoon Starbuck's coffee!- I used the fitness center for the spa (free to all guests - adults only) and we enjoyed the continental (complimentary breakfast) at the very pretty Phoenix Restaurant.The outside layout of the Lodge rooms and the outdoor pool area were adorable -- they reminded me of the Catskill motels of my childhood. We can't wait to stay here again!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2007

My girlfriend and I just did a Ladies of Luxury package at Emersons. We arrived on Saturday and checked into our room at the lodge immediately. Our room at the lodge was a junior suite and very nice. It was two floors and had two queen size beds. Alot of room. The beds were very comfortable. We were greeted with a basket of fruit and a small bottle of merlot. We went off to our massages which were very nice. We had 3 days of massages and added to our package. The package really includes alot and I feel it was well worth the money. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros
Rooms in the lodge are rustic and nice
Rooms in the main hotel are beautiful and very luxurious
Food at the Phoenix was very good
Sunday brunch was excellent
Massages were good for the most part
Hot Stone massage was excellent
Country store nice but expensive
Staff in the main hotle was friendly
Staff at lodge friendly but new people who were a bit clueless

Cons
Service in the restaurant was very slow
Housekeeping could have been better - they left the garbage in our room. The top of the wine bottle would not screw off and my friend and I wanted a glass of wine. It took many calls to get a replacement bottle.
The Wine and Cheese platter we were to get as part of the package was a mystery at the lodge. No one knew who was responsible for getting it.
Confusion with having the bill split between two girlfriends credit cards.

On the whole we really enjoyed our Ladies Luxury package and plan to go again next year.

I went with my husband in May and it is also a great ime of year to go and it is a nice romantic getaway for couples.

Also there is no cell phone service so no that before you go;

• Liked — Rooms were large and comfortable and the spa was good
  • Disliked — Garbage left in room and some of the staff not attentive
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dobbs Ferry, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

We stayed at the Emerson Resort and Spa for a two night girls getaway weekend. There were 8 women in all in 4 stunning rooms. We LOVED this place! We have been doing our weekends for several years and most of us are very experienced and demanding travelers. The rooms in the Inn rival any 5 start hotel I have been in (especially the bathrooms!). The dinner in the Phoenix restaurant was delicious and the setting was lovely. The staff could not have been nicer and more accommodating. The high tea was delightful. The spa was lovely the services were wonderful, the showers in the locker room were great, the towels were very fluffy and I loved the steam room and sauna. It is very close to Woodstock which is a fun outing. But whether you are looking for a romantic weekend or a girls getaway, this is a fabulous choice. I cant wait to go back!

• Liked — The beds and bathroom were amazing
  • Disliked — that it was only 2 nights
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!