“BEST HOTEL FOR TRAVELERS IN SULLIVAN COUNTY, NY” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Monticello
Norwalk, CT
“BEST HOTEL FOR TRAVELERS IN SULLIVAN COUNTY, NY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

My wife & I had to drive from Connecticut to a lawyers office in Sullivan County upstate NY to sign some documents. Our appointment was for 2:00pm on April 9, 2010 and we left Connecticut early that day so as to avoid any traffic and complcations to miss the traffic. After about 2 hours of driving we saw the Best Western Hotel sign stating 1 mile ahead and decided even though it was early we would check it out. We parked and went into the front lobby and was greeted by a young gentleman behind the front desk and we explained our situation and asked him if it was possible to check in now as our appointment was at 2:00pm at the lawyers office. He said he would be happy to oblige us in our request and checked us in to a nice room. He also said we could help ourselves to the continential breakfast which was being served at this time. They had a fantastic selection of muffins, cereal, waffle machine which made perfect waffles & juices. They had a nice indoor swimming pool and sauna and close by was the Casino. There is an good Italian Resturant next door to the hotel . We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
19610
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I was out there with bunch of friends, it was a trip to casino...just an outing, Atleast i should say this is the best place to stay in area coz rest is crap. Casino is the only place you can visit, we were planning to go to Bethel woods art center, but it was closed...bad luck..well talking about this hotel, it is very conveniently located...just on exit, rooms and bathrooms were clean & tidy. even the pool was heated so we were able to go in pool even in this cold weather. Breakfast had many items...they had eggs too, but i would have preferred something else too..any hot item. Overall we had so much fun, its always good to go out with friends!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

I attended a wedding in the area of Monticello, NY and had reservations at the Best Western. It is a small 2 story older brick hotel with maybe 60 rooms. The first thing I noticed at check in was this horribly strong smell of Lysol in the lobby area. You know the smell like when you walk into a service station’s bathroom. Ughhhhh! If you plan to stay here keep in mind the rooms up front border on a high speed road and are extremely noisy. We asked for and got a room in the back of the hotel that looked out on someone’s front yard. I think we paid an AARP rate of $125 per night.

The room was at the top of the steps Room 232. It was an odd shape, very big and spacious. The room appeared to be clean. There was a drip coffee maker, a refrigerator, and a microwave. The rooms offered wi-fi but the signal was very weak. The thing I will remember about this room the most was the bed – it was like a rock. I think the work table would have been softer than this bed. The only other bed I have ever encountered was in Mexico after a Cat-5 hurricane we had to sleep on a set of box springs. The linens and bed cover are old and need to be retired. Another funny thing was the bathroom – it had a Jacuzzi tub that was too big for the room. There was literally only 18 inches between the wall and the side of the jazuzzi – you got it the toilet was squished between the two – directly in front of the toilet was the toilet paper roller. In order to use the bathroom you had to do a funny little dance of squat down on your left leg sit backwards and rock over onto your right leg in order to miss the roller. A larger sized person would not be able to use this facility. There was a huge walk in closet.

The hotel did supply a continental breakfast. In my opinion it was horrible the breakfast area was dirty and your options were 3 kinds of dry cereal, some hard boiled eggs, bagel, and muffins. The breakfast closed at 9am even on the weekends. Save your stomach and go to the Blue Horizon Diner the next exit down.

Having said this there are not a lot of options in the Monticello area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

We reserved a room here for 2 nights at the recommendation of a wedding invitation to go to a nephew's wedding a few miles away on Labor Day weekend. When we checked in, the smell of Pine Sol in the lobby was overpowering and almost nauseating. The smell never totally went away and was just as strong the second day. Our room seemed clean enough though the bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen. The "free" breakfast the next morning looked VERY unappetizing so we found a diner several miles away to have breakfast. When we returned to the room around 11 a.m., we had had no housekeeping services so I hung the "housekeeping requested" sign on the door knob. In about 20 minutes, a housekeeper knocked at the door and wanted to know what it was that we needed. I at first was going to request she come in, make the bed, etc, but decided to just ask for clean towels instead. She told me to stand in the door and wait and she would bring me some which I did. After closing the door, I realized the dirty towels were still there so I opened the door and called out to her to see if she wanted the dirty towels. She said if I wanted to hand them to her which I did.

The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I had ever encountered. IT felt like a sheet of warped plywood had been placed across the top and my side of the bed slanted downward so that I tried to sleep on an incline each night. The comforter on the bed had stains on the underside and we left it off the bed for sleeping.

When we came back from dinner the first night at 8:05, the pool area was dark and when I inquired at the front desk was informed in an unfriendly manner that the pool closes at 8.... No other comments. It was as though I shouldn't have even bothered the clerk to ask! Very unfriendly staff.

On checkout morning after 2 nights of sleeplessness, the morning clerk never asked whether I had a nice stay or anything at all. He simply wanted to know if I was finished in the room. I told him that I was in the process of taking luggage to the car to which he replied, "let me know when you are done so I can get in there!".

This will definitely be my last trip to a Best Western!! The town of Monticello has NOTHING to offer anyway as it appears very dead and rundown. This was definitely a VERY overpriced motel for both the area and the ammenities.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
oceanside
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I didn't even get my foot through the door and I'm advising you NOT to stay here. I booked this hotel over 6 months ago for a concert against the advice of locals in the area. Despite the warnings, I booked anyway. Here I am 6 months later and 6 months pregnant and my experience with the Best Western in Monticello is beyond horrendous. My intentions when I booked the reservation was to meet friends at a concert. Because I live 3 hours away and I am traveling by myself, I felt it was in my best interest to cancel the reservation. Every hotel in the U.S. has a 24 hour cancellation policy...not the Best Western in Monticello! They require 72 hours. So I am 1 day late, as it is 2 whole days before the scheduled concert (48 hours before the reservation) and Best Western is adamant about charging my credit card. I tried reasoning with the manager and corporate Best Western and both were stringent about their precious cancellation policy. They would not extend a courtesy to a pregnant woman who calls with ample time to spare. The manager was belligerent, unyielding, and discourteous. Besides the fact that the locals in the area have complained of BED BUGS, uncleanliness, and bad customer service. I will never use a Best Western hotel ever again. In addition, I'd rather buy a tent in the middle of January than stay at the Best Western in Monticello. G*d forbid you have an extenuating circumstance! DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We originally booked a stay for one night, but had to add a second night due to unexpected business in New York City. This hotel is adequate and our room was clean, if not bright and comfortable. Our room was on the non-smoking floor, but there was a stale smoke-smell, as if perhaps a prior guest had violated the smoking rules. The water pressure in the shower was very low. There is decent high-speed internet.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Bally, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

I stayed in this area a few months ago and stayed at the Super 8. My mother was going along with me this time and I decided to stay in a nicer place. I checked out hotels in the surrounding areas and decided to go with the Best Western. I'm a Wyndam Rewards member and seriously considered the Days Inn in Liberty but went with this one because I thought it would be nicer and my expectations were high due to the price. When I arrived late on Monday night the guy at the front desk was very friendly. We had no problems that night.
The next day I got up and went to work with our customer in the area. That night my mother and I went out to the casino. We were walking around and my leg started to sting. The next thing I knew it felt numb. We left and when I got back to the hotel I looked at my leg. My leg was swelled up and it looked like a nipple was growing from my inner thigh. I wasn't sure what had happened but it was hurting. Not long after my mom was questioning me about something she had seen on the ceiling. On our walls and ceiling were these huge bugs that looked similar to ear wigs or silverfish but they weren't either. I went to the doctor a couple days later to find out I had a bug bite and my whole leg was infected. We called the front desk and the lady came in to verify that we did have bugs in there. They asked us if we'd like to switch rooms and didn't give us too hard of a time with that.
The bugs were my biggest problem with the hotel. They switched us to a nearby room and the next day they had cleaned the room and it was back on the market to be rented to the next person that came along. The staff was friendly and pretty accomodating for the most part. We had put the do not disturb sign up and house keeping called both days to see if we needed their services. The hotel has a decent exercise room, a pool, and a couple arcade games including pin ball and pac man. There is a casino less than a mile down the road.
The area is very dead and the community doesn't appear to be very safe. While driving through town I seen many homeless people and the area is very run down. Luckily the Best Western is not in that section of town.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Monticello? Share your experiences!