“Beautiful Location, Nice Facilities, But Poor Management” 4 of 5 stars

Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   32 Star Island Rd., Montauk, NY 11954   |
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Montauk
New York City
“Beautiful Location, Nice Facilities, But Poor Management”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have been going to an annual conference at this place for several years. Our group loves the scenic waterfront views and the tennis courts, indoor and outdoor pools, and the fitness center. The Montauk Downs golf course is a five-minute drive away, and it offers golfers a challenging and pretty course at a very economical rate. So if you have nice weather, this place is a fantastic venue. The rooms are furnished comfortably, and most have a patio or terrace. The best ones overlook the bay. The food was better this year than it has ever been, and the staff is overwhelmingly friendly and helpful if somewhat inexperienced. The manager on duty while our group was there, Matt, however, was unable to cope with numerous complaints from our group concerning room assignments and internet access. When the rooms were booked, our members had preferences for rooms in the main house or in the villas located a 10-minute walk away from the main house facilities. Although the hotel could not guarantee room preferences would be honored, it became clear that our room assignments were irrational with people placed in the opposite accommodations from that which was requested at booking. On top of that, internet access did not work in many rooms. Whe these problems came to Matt's attention, he was virtually unsympathetic and/or unhelpful in resolving them. He tried to be pleasant, but his ineffectiveness was the subject of conversation by a number of people in our group. The hotel clearly has a problem in honoring booking requests for rooms and providing internet access. Beyond that, a hotel managaer should be hired who understands the most fundamental principles of hotel management--"don't promise what you can't deliver" and "it's my job to make sure my guests are happy." Matt went through the motions of offering to help and promising to deliver, but ultimately he alienated a number of people in our group by not resolving their complaints to their satisfaction or making promises that were never kept. Hopefully he will learn from his mistakes, and become an excellent manager. In the meantime, the Montauk Yacht Club is still a nice place for a conference or a vaction stay, but document your requests for lodging and get a written confirmation. Don't count on reliable internet access, if that's something you rely on, and don't expect the manager to deal effectively with any problems you may have.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Remsenburg, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was one of the "few" that braved the cold rain and forged on with my holiday weekend out here! Christina was AWESOME on the phone, she helped me with the rest of my groups reservations. I was greeted by a VERY friendly staff who hadn't seen many people due to cancellations. They swung the doors open, brought my luggage to my room with me even though I had it all under control. Matt at the front desk was very happy to show my daughter his new "shell display". Art and Roy seemed to be awaiting our arrival at the INDOOR pool. They were so sweet and kept my daughter and I entertained by fetching the ball she kept bopping out of the pool. We had dinner that evening in their restaurant and it was all delicious, except my daughter wanted a slice of pepperoni pizza. It was $4 a slice and $2 for a topping (with NO SIDES). I really think they should re-think that one. Our room was pleasant with a court yard view. Bathroom floor could use some elbow grease but nothing that would ruin my stay. The next day we had breakfast in the dining room overlooking the water and I LOVED the Rice Crispy FRENCH TOAST. Then we went to Deep Hollow Horseback where we continued to brave the cold rain and returned home. What a great trip for my 10 yr old and me!!!

Room Tip: If you don't have a car and the shuttle only goes to 3 locations, plan on paying $10 per trip.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Great place! What else can I say. We had a marina view & even though Mother Nature did not cooperate, it was still beautiful to look at. The room was very nice & had a comfortable feel. The food at the restuarant was excellent & the staff was wonderful. Don't miss out on this gem in Montauk!

Room Tip: The Marina rooms have a spectacular view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Longwood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

From our first phone call to make reservations, to our last goodbyes at the end of our extended weekend visit, the staff and the facilities of the Montauk Yacht Club shined even through a little rainfall.
The accommodations, the restaurants, and the grounds helped make a getaway weekend the most enjoyable experience.
We were met with an engaging front desk staff and our king room with a view of the lake was awesome. The porters and doormen were always ready to open the door or help with our packages, and the maid service was extremely clean and unobtrusive.
This destination is highly recommended.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the Lake or the Marina is worth the added expense and sure beats those that ha...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently planned a weekend out to Montauk and stayed at Mountauk Yacht Club. Our stay was cut short, however, due to a family issue and we had to leave after just one night. What I can say is that the one night we did get to stay for was great! We had a king room with a fabulous view of the marina. We dined at the restaurant, Gulf Coast Kitchen, for dinner on Friday night and breakfast on Saturday morning. The food was very good and the portion sizes were large (a big issue for my boyfriend). The service was excellent and the wait staff was very pleasant and attentive. The hotel is in a great location - close enough to everything and yet just that little bit off the beaten path so you feel like you could have a quiet secluded weekend. We were close to hiking paths and did manage to get in an incredible hike with spectacular views before we had to leave.
The other thing I can say about MYC is that their customer service is amazing! I contacted them after we left early and explained that we had to cut our stay short because of a family emergency. They were gracious enough to give us a credit for the second night of our stay (which we had already paid for) so that we can spend another weekend out there even though the hotel was sold out for Saturday night and they likely couldn't re-book our room given that we checked out at 2 pm on Saturday afternoon. This is the type of customer service that will keep me coming back to a place for years to come. I'd also just note that there was clearly a wedding planned for Saturday and we happened to walk by as they were setting things up -- it looked like an absolutely amazing place to get married and they had set up the space so beautifully. I really can't say enough good things about our stay and the people at MYC

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Our stay was absolutely fabulous. The staff was amazing and the amenities were great. We used the indoor pool, marina, beach, restaurant and everything was perfect! Great experience! Totally recommend!! The staff was so friendly and helpful.

Pleasantville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We visited for a low key anniversary night away. Perfect in the offseason. Quiet ambiance (even with a wedding going on), great meal. Overall very relaxing. Staff was very helpful and accommodating. We were placed in a villa room to meet our "king bed" request through deal we received on Jetsetter. I would love to return in the summer!

Room Tip: Villas are private, but a walk from the main house.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!