“we had a wonderful stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sail Inn of Montauk

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montauk
Sail Inn of Montauk
Save Saved
You added Sail Inn of Montauk to your Saves list
548 West Lake Drive, Montauk, NY 11954   |
Ranked #26 of 39 hotels in Montauk
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“we had a wonderful stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

just got back from a 3 night stay at the Sail Inn with my boyfriend -- and we had a lovely stay! the owner and staff were very nice and welcoming. :) if you're looking for a nice stay in Montauk without breaking the bank - this is a great choice! it's in a convenient, beautiful area and the room was very spacious. the jacuzzi tub worked wonders on my boyfriend's back that was killing him after a 9 hour drive. so maybe it's not the Ritz Carlton, but if you're not picky, you really can't beat the price. we will definitely be staying here again in the future! :) and don't forget to take them a shotglass from your hometown -- they just might hook you up with a free drink in the bar!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ledgewood, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The owner/manager of this motel is downright nasty! He needs to be on medication. After calling for availability, I decided that I wouldn't stay here if he paid me. Just call - and you'll see what I mean.

Room Tip: Rude and nasty owner
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
East Lyme CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

DISUSTING, I just signed up for trip advisor and decided to look up the reviews of the Sail Inn because I stayed there 2 years ago. It was the worst place I could have ever imagined, hence why I’m taking the energy to write this even though it was a few years ago. The first sign of trouble was when I had to check into the hotel at the bar with the DRUNK bartender WTF!! Next I walked into the room and found nothing pleasant. I could go on into details but just look at the picutres of one of the last reviews. How is this place still in business and how would anyone give it a good review . Read the review from spag73 they are 100% accurate. DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

with great hot showers! We have been staying at the Sail Inn for the last three years. The rooms are kept very clean and the building is well maintained. The staff is friendly, and is always willing to accommodate their guests in any way they can (all you need to do is ask). The bar/restaurant downstairs has nightly dinner specials and a happy hour (which is great after a full day of fishing or sunning); and Amy, the bartender, always makes you feel welcomed. Let's face it, Montauk is expensive to visit, and your gonna pay no matter where you go. But at the Sail Inn you get good clean, spacious rooms---at reasonable nightly rates-----plus-----friendly service. The motel is within walking distance to Gosmans and the party/charter boats. I recommend the Sail Inn for family/friends/couples/solo. P.S. the rooms have cable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
East Meadow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

My friends and I really enjoy this place. It's close to the fishing boats and restaurants. Rooms are big and clean and George and staff are more than accommodating. It's very affordable and very comfortable. Amy did a great job tending bar the nite we were there. I would highly recommend staying at the Sail Inn!!!!!!! P.S. I won the pool on one of the half day fluke boats!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
freeport ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

The Sail Inn is a small motel near the charter boats in Montauk. It has a bar down stairs,with a friendly local crowd and staff. They also serve food in the evening with a different special each night. Rooms are large and clean. I look to stay here whenever I am in Montauk.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed at the Sail Inn for a wedding. It was in a good location to the train station, harbor and not too far from the beach. but we stayed here mainly because it was the only b&b around there that would accept less than a three-night minimum stay. Now I know why. The second we set foot into the place, we couldn't wait for our two nights to be over. A few highlights (most also shown in my pictures):

- You check in at the bar. (That could be comical and rustic, but it was just a sign of bad things to come.)
- The furniture in our room was old, sticky and filthy. The tables hadn't been wiped and had mystery stains all over them, as did the chair, bedding, couch and bathtub. I couldn't stand to be in the room longer than 15 minutes at a time during the day because I didn't feel comfortable to sit on any of the surfaces. Luckily, at night we had enough wine in us from the wedding to suppress the thoughts of what was living inside our pillows and comforter.
- The lamps were either not plugged in or didn't even have bulbs in them. The phone had wires sticking out of it.
- Of course, the place didn't supply toiletries beyond some soap, and the fresh towels were already dirty.
- But the crowning moment was when the owner, upon our checking out, couldn't resist to yell, "Don't forget to leave a couple bucks for the maid." We have stayed in a hotel before, thanks, and know the proper etiquette, although this was the first place where I ever contemplated not leaving a tip. But then again, it's not the housekeeper's fault that the owners of the Sail Inn would rather spend their money elsewhere than heir own property.

All in all, this is the worst place I have stayed since a hotel in East Germany right after the wall came down. At $165/night, it was a huge disappointment. I have a hard time believing any of the glowing reviews on here, especially after seeing some of the other hotels and b&b's in Montauk.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sail Inn of Montauk? Share your experiences!