“Near Beach & Large Pool, What More Do You Need?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of A Wave Inn

You added A Wave Inn to your Saves list
A Wave Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   32 South Elmwood Avenue, PO Box 1630, Montauk, NY 11954   |
Ranked #37 of 41 Hotels in Montauk
New York City, New York
“Near Beach & Large Pool, What More Do You Need?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here over the summer and have been meaning to leave a review for a while but haven't had a chance till now. I will make this one simple. Clean, near beach, big pool, reasonable rates. Need I say more?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Highland Park, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

AC wasn't working and couldn't really sleep with the windows open...as there were no screens in them. The shower was a dribble at best. I can't believe I paid money to stay here. I'm not that picky but this was ridiculous.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Temple Hills, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I can't begin to tell you how horrific the Wave Inn experience was for my family. My family reserved 3 rooms on line to attend a wedding the weekend of 9/22/12. The rooms were a wreck and apparently furnished with cast offs found on the street. The first evening, a mouse was swimming in the pool. Looking for customer service? Keep looking. Check out is 11:00AM. Someone from the office knocked on the door of one of the rooms and asked if they were ready to go at 10:30. If they were ready to check out, they would have been at the office turning in keys. My grandson became ill and threw up on a pillow case. A charge of $51 for damage to a $2 pillow case was added to the bill. The "desk clerk" had a terrible attitude and apparently is not happy in her chosen profession. My family will never, never, ever stay there again and if anyone decides to.....bring plenty of lysol and patience. Good luck with that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We spent a 4 days at the hotel as my mother insisted we stay near beach and in town with access to a pool. The Wave Inn had all of that. We also got the s1 bedroom suite with lots of room and kitchenette. Also had a full refrigerator.
However it also had a few problems. The futon sofa was old and hard. Television located in a strange unviewable spot in living area. It was filthy , (and my mother is a nurse) so we needed to ask the cleaning girls to come and wipe down the bathroom floor and shower again. Mold was a problem. There were missing screens in the bathroom and bedroom so windows really couldn't stay open. There was 1 small mirror in the bathroom. When we asked for a second mirror, screens on window and the toilet to stop running; we were "yessed" and then forgotten. THe coup de grace was the fecal matter that rolled out of the towels which were folded on the shelf in the bathroom. I thought my mother was going to have a heart attack. It was really overpriced for such surprises.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Smithtown, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Pros: location. Easy walk to beach & town. Clean room with decent pool.
Cons: futon that flips into "bed" is at least 20 years old, does not fold flat, did not come with bedding & was disgusting. Mattresses are very hard & uncomfortable. Unprofessional housekeeping - did not come until 2:45 pm (even though we had been out of the room from 9:30 am-2:30 pm) & rushed us out saying they only work until 3:00. They had to find an interpreter to tell us that, though, because they only speak Spanish. No excuse or apologies were given. Next morning, we receive a knock on our door from a Spanish speaking handyman saying he needed to get into the room to fix a leak in the bathroom. Bathroom was run down & I wouldn't advise trying to take a shower in it (especially if you're over 5'5"), but why couldn't the "leak" wait until we checked out an hour later? Kinda suspicious. I wouldn't recommend leaving anything valuable in your room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bridgeport, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We just spent a week at A Wave Inn, room 19, which is a Deluxe Studio Efficiency, good size. We chose it because of the good location, the pool, and it was less expensive than the oceanfront motels. After our first shower which was little more than a dribble, we knew there was no way we could put up with this for a whole week, considering we were paying $200+/day. We realized it was not the water pressure-it was the water-saving showerhead. The 2nd day I had to take a bath in order to rinse the shampoo from my hair. On the 3rd day we went to the Hardware store in town and bought a $5 s/head and replaced it using a wrench my husband had in the car. It was now 100%better. So if there is still a white plastic s/head in there you have us to thank.

Another annoying thing was the bed was so hard it was only slightly better than sleeping on the floor. We had a rough first night. If there was a Wal-mart in Montauk I would have purchased a cheap foam topper. We had a closet but no hangars. We had trouble with the cable going in and out the first couple days, but on the 3rd day when it went totally out we reported it and they had the Cable guy come the next day and fix it.

They don't tell you how to connect to the Wi-Fi so we asked the girl at the front desk and she said we have to be Cablevision subscribers and use our own Password! ??! Well, we're not, so she wrote something down to "try" but of course it didn't work. My husband played around and hooked onto somebody's unprotected Gateway, so we got internet but it was slow. You don't feel too confident after talking to the young-ish employees at the front desk.

On the plus side, the maid service is good, our room was painted and updated, large dresser, decent carpet, updated kitchen, full-size fridge, coffeemaker w/filters included, bring your own coffee. The bathroom had a mirror, it was fine with the exception of the shower. The pool area is nice. Any noise from other guests is blocked out by our constantly running room A/C, so we weren't bothered by any outside noise.

We liked being walking distance to Main St. and the beach. If the mattress was better, we'd go back there again. We had a nice vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have never been anywhere that has been less accomodating in my life. They gave us the smallest room even though we booked a 2 bedroom suite and refused to upgrade us ( because they were overbooked) and refused to refund us unless someone else would come and book the room. Are you kiddding????? The carpet was wet, i could stand in the bathtub and the kitchen at the same time. Yea, that small. If you want an enjoyable time on your vacation please avert your eyes even if you walk past the wave inn. TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012