“two bedroom cottage unit #2” 1 of 5 stars

Special Rate
July Discounted Stay!!!
Ranked #3 of 39 hotels in Montauk
NH, USA
“two bedroom cottage unit #2”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

For a family event we stayed in the two bedroom cottage at the Beach Plum. We were not looking for luxury, just a clean, place to stay, near the festivities. The only word to describe our cottage is YUK.. I will give it up that it was private, big deck,ocean view and close to the beach, great landscaping. If only we didn't have to sleep and shower in that pit of a cottage, I would have loved it. Couldn't wait to come home take a shower, and feel really clean. Perhaps the other units were better, as my understanding is that they are all owned.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — poor accomidations/dirty
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Seaford, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

My family just returned from a 4 night stay at the Beach Plum. This was our first time staying in Montauk. We decided on the one bedroom cottage. A little note to start out with, we stayed in cottage number 4 and it is not pictured on the site. This is a little deceiving. The website should be updated. To be fair, overall the cottage was decent. The deck was private and there was a small yard that you could use but it was shared with the connected cottage. The inside needed a little work. It could have been cleaner, the bathroom only had a very small shower and was cramped. The housekeeping closet is located right outside the bathroom window and this could be a problem since you really have to keep your windows and shades open to allow the breeze to cool off the unit (there are no air conditioners). It has a full kitchen (minus an oven) with utensils, pots, etc provided. The bedroom is located next to the exit so you hear the cars passing by your head late at night and early in the morning. There is a 10pm quiet time but this is not enforced. I would normally not care but when you travel with children this could be a problem. To get to the beach you have to walk across Old Montauk Hwy and through the dunes using a narrow path. We didnt like this because we had a lot of stuff to haul including carrying an 18 month old. The pool was a short walk. The pool was heated and there seemed to be plenty of chairs and tables available. There is not a lifeguard on duty, nor is there a restroom near the pool. You have to go back to the room for that. There is also not a snack bar or restaurant on the premises. The walk to town is not far but if you have small children it is probably better to drive. Overall, this place was a bit over priced (we paid approx. $300/night) with very few amenities. This was not the place for our family. We already made our reservations for next year at the Royal Atlantic which is located in town. It also has more of a "Resort" feel and there seems to be more famiies with small children there. It is located right on the beach and the pool is right outside the room. There is a restaurant on the premises. The Beach Plum seems to be more for families with older children or couples. If you are looking for more of a "resort " feel this is not the place.

• Liked — The pool (when it was heated)
  • Disliked — The walk to the beach
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

My family stayed here last week after I read the reviews on this site.. We throughly enjoyed ourselves. Our toddler made several friends at the pool. This place seemed to be full of families with little ones and the grandparents too.

The main Room and kitchenette were very clean. Bathroom needed a new toilet seat, but it too was clean.

Outdoor pool very clean and chairs and tables too.
Walk across street and down path to beaches.
Walk to town.

Balcony view of the ocean was very nice. There is no airconditioning here, just fans but we didn't mind.

Staff was very nice too.

The only negative I had was I would have liked a door chain or latch. I think its a good investment and helps parents not have to worry about kids getting out of the room on their own.

We would stay here again.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Location
  • Disliked — Mattress wasn't comfortable
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2006

I scheduled a stay with this hotel during the fishing blitz off Montauk for the weekend of Sept 29th for a two night stay.
The reservation was made in early August and I did not receive written confirmation yet my credit card had been charged for one night. I requested a written confirmation on Aug 31st and no response was given. I made a second request by e mail and numerous phone calls with no return calls or e mail to confirm my stay. This is a very popular weekend and I decided to book with another hotel as the Beach Plum would not get back to me after numerous attempts on my part to confirm my stay. I have advised my credit card company to withhold payment of the deposit.

The management of this hotel has no sense or understanding of how business works. No customer should need to jump through hoops to spend hard earned money with this kind of service.

Stayed September 2006
new york, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

Just spent a fantastic weekend at the Beach Plum in Montauk. A short walk to the village. Good. A beautiful beach directly across the road. Better. Sitting on the deck, with an ocean view that is worthy of a mega-million dollar mansion. Priceless!

• Stayed June 2006
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2006

We stayed here in early June 2005 before all of the rush, during the end of the week into the weekend. The room we stayed in was nice and clean, fair deal for the amount that was paid. Close to everything in town, and a great view from our second floor deck. The only thing I wished was that it was a bit closer to the water. Realize it is a walk to get down to the beach, if you have young children and a lot to carry because it is a narrow path. Other than that a great place to bring the family for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

My family stays at this beautiful hotal right on the ocean. The rooms are all decorated individually --It's like having our own place--kids get to play on the park-like property and the beach is fabulous. We stay on the top floor and the view of the Atlantic is to die for.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Beach Plum Resort? Share your experiences!