“Horseback riding” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Ranchs, Ranch & Farm
Franklin, Texas USA
“Horseback riding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This was excellent. I am 65, my daughter is 35 and my granddaughter 8. We went for the short half hour trip as some of us had not been riding in 25 years and the eight year old had never been riding on a horse by herself. The horses were, of course, "oldies by goodies" as required for our experience. The guide was very informative and the owners told us some of the history of the area and how the ranch came to be. We had a wonderful time and will go again.

Visited April 2013

New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
“Not enough time on the beach...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Went here as part of a 12-person group and it was okay. I would have liked to canter or gallop, but due the varied levels of riding in the group, we walked most of the way with some trotting here and there. Most of the 1.5 hour trail ride was through wooded brush before spending about a 4-5 minute rather uneventful walk on the beach (which was covered with stones due to Hurricane Sandy). Bummer because we all wanted to spend more time on the beach.

Not exactly my fantasy of galloping on the beach, but it was nice to visit the place that professes to be "the oldest working ranch in the USA". The ranch currently has no cattle and about 60 quarter horses so not sure what their livelihood is other than horseback riding...

Scenery-wise, the rolling green hills were a nice backdrop and there is a park adjacent to and overlooking the ranch where you can picnic for lunch.

It's easy to imagine what this ranch might've looked like 100 years ago with cowboys and whatnot. Not sure why our guide was wearing spurs, but who was I to ask? Wished she had been a little more engaging with the group and spoken to the history of the ranch.

I would only visit if you are already in Montauk area, otherwise no reason to come from afar.

Visited May 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“NYCountry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Decent, average price of $75 for 1 1/2 hr ride that included some trotting on your way to the tip of the island. The horses looked very well treated and cared for. True horsemen/women.

Visited May 2013
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

I went with my 65 year old Mom, who has a hip replacement , and my 8 year old daughter who had never ridden a horse by herself. We had a wonderful time. The horses were gentle ( exactly as described) and friendly. The guide was very friendly, knowledgable, and caring. Not only did we get some facts and history on the area, he was constantly asking us if we were ok. The ride was very scenic and beautiful. We can't wait to go back. If I had to give advice it would be to be honest about your riding abilities, this way you will get the correct horse for your riding skill level. Our horses were awesome!!!
Thank You Deep Hollow Ranch! We will see you Soon!!

Visited April 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
“Got thrown off and no one seemed to care...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My girlfriend took me here as a surprise and will never forget what happened. The ride itself was so so, but don't consider this a "beach" horseback ride. For an hour and a half you are on the beach for maybe 2mins. You literally walk around thorn bushes and once you get to the beach, you walk around the closest dune, circle back, and that's it.
Furthermore, I was given a "new" horse who sprinted off at one of the forks and I did what I could to maneuver and stop the horse (I had pulled the reigns as far as the back of the saddle to no avail). The horse then whipped around a corner and I was thrown off the horse to what looked like an electric wire fence. Luckily they said the fence was turned off today...
I was bruised on my face, back, and butt, and my clothes were all torn up, but I managed to suck it up and get back on a different horse since I didn't want to let this stop me from trying to make the most of this trip. Afterwards, I felt like the company would have maybe tried to offer some sort of compensation for the damages, personal and emotional, that had occurred. They didn't even offer to give me a refund. I understand that we all sign waivers, but this comes down to good and bad customer service. As a business owner, you should look out for your customers regardless of paperwork or coverage. My advice-spare your loved ones the chance that this might happen to them. They use their roses for rodeos and barrel races, so think about that before they have you sign the waiver. No one told me that!

Visited March 2013